Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times

Advertisements

I monitor the Fidelity Freedom 2050 Target fund and always compare it to one of my portfolios that I actively self-manage just to get an idea of how I'm doing.

At the end of Feb, my 12mo was actually 2% behind the Freedom Fund. That changed in March, because I had a 12% incease (I am overloaded on energy for the short term).

Another one of my favorite funds right now is PCRDX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:07 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times
I don't have a limit. I can buy as many stocks as I can. I thought buying few shares of 15-20 companies is diversified and will cut down the risk? What about dollar cost averaging?

My FA at Edward Jones ran this software and it picked the funds and allocation.

My FA at EJ allocated the funds for me since he gets 5.75% front load from me on new money.

You can open IRA's at many places.

Yes, I have both 401K and Roth IRA, I max this out every year.

You are right. 401K/Roth IRA/SS is what I will need for a very comfortable retirement.

I am not afraid to lose when I am down. You really lose when you sell the stock on a loss. I am not the type of person that will panic if the market were to crash again or a long bear run.

I can just login to TK and view my account. Its a live shot in real-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
In your Tradeking account, the value of your account limits the number of stocks you have. You want as many shares of a stock as you can, not less.
To own 20 shares of 15 companies is not going to get you very far. Some may go up and some may go down leaving you where you started.

Who ??
decided which funds, etc. would be in your 401K and IRA?
Did you choose them or some FA choose them?
I see on Etrade people can establish their own ROTH IRA.

You can always walk into a Charles Schwab office, which I use, and ask them to let you speak to one of their analyst and let them give you a "sample" portfolio for your IRA and 401K.

You have both?

Those retirement plans and social security should be all you need.

That lets you use your Tradeking account for experimenting, learning, etc.
If you are afraid to lose, then do not enter the stock market. The very best only get it right maybe 60% of the time, and the reason they make money is their winners are big and their losers are small. If one of their stocks, goes below what they expected, they SELL. It is called "discipline."
You can have stop looses set in your account or mental stops in your mind.

Does Tradeking offer you software to view your account and make trades, etc?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I monitor the Fidelity Freedom 2050 Target fund and always compare it to one of my portfolios that I actively self-manage just to get an idea of how I'm doing.

At the end of Feb, my 12mo was actually 2% behind the Freedom Fund. That changed in March, because I had a 12% incease (I am overloaded on energy for the short term).

Another one of my favorite funds right now is PCRDX.
You like the Target funds?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
You like the Target funds?
I haven't decided yet. While I follow their performance, I am not actually invested in them. I just use it as a way to guage how I am doing. My goal is to outperform that particular target fund and S&P.

Currently, the target fund does not align with my short term strategy, so it has no place in my portfolio.

The target funds seem like a good for someone who is not interested in doing any research on their own. Although, the same can be said about DCA SPY.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:35 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
dont buy other investments if your buying a target fund. you will destroy all the benefits a target fund is trying to give you.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM

My FA from EJ said that he chose to pick lot of funds because if one of the funds don't do well, I still have others to fall back on. What do you think of this strategy?

Old 04-14-2011, 04:05 PM

i think its not a good strategy.....

Old 04-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think its not a good strategy.....
So if I pick 2 funds which are diversified and 1 fund goes way down then what?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 PM

you need no more than 5 or 6 funds covering every asset class. its not about the fund as much as it is being allocated in different non linked asset classes.

funds may differ by a few points but unless they really did something non conventional they will never be up or down alone. generally all like funds move together.

you need a total market fund,maybe a small cap fund for extra ooomph, a reit, a total international fund ,a bond fund ,a commodities or gold fund.
your making your investments far to complex with no advantage by adding more funds.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you need no more than 5 or 6 funds covering every asset class. its not about the fund as much as it is being allocated in different non linked asset classes.

funds may differ by a few points but unless they really did something non conventional they will never be up or down alone. generally all like funds move together.

you need a total market fund,maybe a small cap fund for extra ooomph, a reit, a total international fund ,a bond fund ,a commodities or gold fund.
your making your investments far to complex with no advantage by adding more funds.
Can you give me the final numbers and fund to plug in my 401k?

I have posted the funds choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing