Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
3-5 years and you are not savvy to Wall Street ?

Bank CD's then. Stick to something you know.
If I knew about investment I wouldn't need to be asking. I can invest as long as I want but this book said that short term investments were better. I need to do alot more reading and talk to a few professionals before I venture out but I was hoping for some extra pointers from those on this site. Any advise is good advise at this point. I need to go into this with my eyes wide open so I want the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Please be specific and speak as if you are speaking to a six year old. Want something w/low fees or no fees, tax free preferably (of course), short term (3-5 yrs), low risk, high return (of course)... keep it simple, thanks!
Good luck?

Low risk and high return...........and tax free. On top of explaining it to you like you're 6.

Even if I knew, why would I share it with anyone?

$100,000 is not even enough to be a low end accredited investor. I think if anyone knew of an investment like that, they'd have more important things to do with their time than hang out on CD.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,410 times
Quote:
Please be specific and speak as if you are speaking to a six year old. Want something w/low fees or no fees, tax free preferably (of course), short term (3-5 yrs), low risk, high return (of course)... keep it simple, thanks!
Within that time period of 3-5 years, hope for a bear market than jump on it..and ride the bull market to the top

Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 AM

106,599 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
What is REITS?

I have been reading a book and the author seems to be promoting Vangaurd mutual funds alot. I think he suggest for someone like me to invest conservative amount in Vanguard 500 Index (large cap stock blend) and the rest in Total Bond Market Index (bond interterm treasury). He says to invest in short term stocks/bonds. I really don't know what the hell he is talking about.

Maybe I should just go to USAA and talk to a financial planner and let them do the investing but the author does not recommend using this avenue. He suggest an independent fee based financial advisor who will be working solely for me and not the company. I would not know how to find that type of advisor and if I did I would have a hard time trusting them with my money.
reits are real estate investment trusts. in a summary they are stocks that invest in the companies that own real estate.

they actually have been the best performers over almost every time period going back decades.

they can be volatile as hell. i owned a reit index fund ICF which owned lots of other reits. boy there were days it swung up or down 14% in value.

they are still stocks and unless you have 15-20 years i dont recommend equities as an investment.

they are long term investments and have to be treated as such unless you want to take the chance that we will be up or down over shorter periods of time.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
If I knew about investment I wouldn't need to be asking. I can invest as long as I want but this book said that short term investments were better. I need to do alot more reading and talk to a few professionals before I venture out but I was hoping for some extra pointers from those on this site. Any advise is good advise at this point. I need to go into this with my eyes wide open so I want the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks
Exactly. So stick to what you know while reading and learning about other investment vehicles.

Everyone here has an opinion and suggestions. But in the end it's you and your money. Invest in something you don't fully understand and you could lose it all if you don't understand the nuances of that investment.

So one thing you could do:
Put the money in a 1 year CD. Use that 1 year to educate yourself in investments and their risks/rewards. When that CD comes due you will be in a much better position to make a decision.

Again..don't invest in something you don't know.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
vegas, 100k on black.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:22 PM

nah, loose women, drinking ,and a big screen tv.

then just waste whats left over.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,434,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
An Australian money market fund.
Currency rate change can be volatile !!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
peter schiff, oh yeah ,hes the guy who has called it right yet since his famous predicion.

he told everyone to avoid equities they were going down further and who ever listened missed one of the biggest run ups in history.

good call!
Huh? If you bought at the end of 2007 or beginning 2008 you still have not recouped your losses. Just look at the chart. Don't take my word for it. http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=S...l=SPY;range=5y

He didn't tell people to avoid the stock market beginning in Oct 2008. He told them way BEFORE the crash in 2006 and 2007 and before and he NEVER said avoid all equities. He said avoid U.S. equities particularly the financials and we was RIGHT! Goldman SAchs is NOWHERE NEAR its 2008 highs. Read his book CRASH PROOF. You might learn something.

I guess you haven't seen the "Peter Schiff was Right" videos. What was so "wrong" about what he said in this series of interviews? It was everyone ELSE who was WRONG.

YouTube - ‪Peter Schiff Was Right 2006 - 2007 (2nd Edition)‬‏

He was dead on accurate about this year too! We've had terrible inflation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PVCVyh7Hzw

Last edited by emilybh; 05-19-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM

he has been dead wrong more than he has been right.

listening to him back in the 90's telling us to stay away from stocks would have left most of us alot poorer.

in 2008 he told us all to get out of stocks. great advice . the markets are up over 120% since then. in fact they are averaging over 9% a year over the last decade, over 9% a year over the last 20 years and over 9% a year over the last 30 years and that includes the downturn.

as far as re-couping loses? only large cap lagged every other index broke new highs long ago. in fact if you did the proper thing and rebalanced all along even your large cap indexes broke new highs.

since when is the highest point a stock hits the reference for whether your ahead or not? its not. most of us that have been investing for a long time are up big time.

if google hit 900 and you sold at 800 your not up? of course you are. no one expects to always be at the peak to judge if money was made or not

as far as if you bought in 2007 ? well stocks are a long term investment and looking at it before that money payed its dues,went through a few market cycles and had time to grow is a meaningless comparison if your looking at it in the short term. no one uses a short term measuring stick to gauge a long term investment unless they are clueless.

if they thought after 3 or 4 years they would be making tons of money then they dont understand investing.

anyway heres some food for thought

AVA : Investment Analytics

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-19-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing