Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:24 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

nah, a few here dont want to hear about a tax that taxes all. its only about i have not done well financially so how can i take away from those that have done better then me or blame them for my mis-fourtune., its an on going theme here.

here is a novel thought. instead of looking to take away from and blaming everyone who has been succesful financially why not put your efforts into doing better.?

nah , its much easier to blame everyone and everything around for your own lack of success.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-25-2011 at 04:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:38 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Not really, the housing problem started with the lack of regulation on derivatives. When the CFTC attempted to regulate OTC derivatives in the 90's Wall St. leaned on Congress, Greenspan, Summers, Geitner, and others to kill the regulation of derivatives. They were successful. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/warning/interviews/born.html\ (broken link)
This is what paved the way for the mass bundling and sales of MBS's and CDS's, reliving the mortgage writers of any financial repercussions of failed mortgages.
Banks and Mortgage brokers were free to write bad mortgages knowing upfront the borrowers could not make the payments, because they were not going to keep the paper after it was written.
Wall St then repackaged the questionable loans and sold them at great profits to mutual funds, pension managers, and the like.
The game was created by Wall St. for its own benefit and it worked amazingly.
Now everyone including Greenspan admit that they were wrong in opposing the regulation of derivatives, but to this day, they are still not regulated, and there is more of them out there today than there was in 2008.
actually the housing problem started with the massive influx of illegal immigrants to artificially create the housing demand and the cheap labor to build those houses. (i agree with you about what happened after that).

i think a better solution for right now is to stop funding the big banksters through taxpayer dollars and get a handle on that. it was bad enough funding the american bailout but now we are expected to fund the european one as well? at least a few congress people have the right idea on stopping it.:

http://mcmorris.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=405

how long are we going to keep getting robbed? taxing isn't going to do much good with all the fraud still in the system and it will just punish the little investors trying to beat inflation. (good luck with that anymore). the best solution, the one everyone seems to be the most afraid of, is to get rid of the international banking cartel controlling our currency with impunity. look at all the money "lost" on its way to iraq and NO ACCOUNTABILITY.

let's have some jail time for some of these crooks.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:41 AM

the greatest financial minds on the planet arent clear on why and how we got into this mess . what chance do any of us have knowing why it happened or how to fix it. i wont waste 5 seconds thinking about it yet folks here dwell on this stuff like they know.

heres the cards your dealt ,play them is a much better idea for everyone to put their efferts into. when life hands you those lemons make lemonade.

the problem is people look to blame instead of looking to prosper or protect themselves for those conditions they think will happen.. they complain instead of learning to act.

while folks complained in 2008 about how much money they were loosing in markets as they un-wound why didnt their plan allow for this.?

a mere diversification into long term treasuries instead of just sitting with a pile of stocks would have had you protected . just simple diversification if you learn about what to do instead of who to blame or how to take away from those that did the right thing..

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-25-2011 at 04:50 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the greatest financial minds on the planet arent clear on why and how we got into this mess . what chance do any of us have knowing why it happened or how to fix it. i wont waste 5 seconds thinking about it yet folks here dwell on this stuff like they know.

heres the cards your dealt ,play them is a much better idea for everyone to put their efferts into. when life hands you those lemons make lemonade.

the problem is people look to blame instead of looking to prosper or protect themselves for those conditions they think will happen.. they complain instead of learning to act.
YOU CAN'T PROSPER IN A CROOKED SYSTEM.

so you are okay with your children being robbed and their future being stolen out from under them? (if it even lasts that long...)

let's use a simple analogy. you have a bank but it is robbed every day and the robbers keep taking money out. if you don't stop the robbers you will ALWAYS need more money to put into the bank.

the "greatest" financial minds are very clear on how we got into this mess-with weapons of mass financial destruction.

we need to fix the problem or it will just escalate and blow the heck up.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 AM

not sure what you mean by crooked system. but i can tell you there are a whole bunch of people out there like myself and many many others even right here in this forum who made money no matter what the economy or stock market does just by doing nothing but planning for things to cycle around. we arent talking a lucky short term guess ,we are talking over decades of time.
just by covering all the bases and letting markets do its thing you could have averaged over 9% a year cagr , for almost the last 40 years. ill repeat that. you could have averaged over 9% a year for 40- years by doing nothing but allowing for uncertainty instead of ruling it out of your plan.

a simple mix of cash,gold,long term treasuries and a total market fund rebalanced once a year would have done that. no hindsite or crystal ball needed. its an investment plan that is always in place and never changess , just rebalanced when things fall or rise once a year.

no guessing whats next, no predicting, just a plan. THATS WHAT I MEAN BY PLAYING THE CARDS YOUR DEALT.

the markets only reflect whats happening around us. they are merely the messenger. im not talking about a pump and dump piece of crap that anyone can manipulate or structured products that wall street invents.

in hundreds of years no one has ruled out the business cycle from the equation. there is always something different that sets off the down cycle of it. sometimes its not to bad and sometimes it is but the fact is this cycle has always been with us.

its when folks do nothing or they throw all their money into equities and bet only on prosperity that they get burned and blame everyone else because they only covered one part of the business cycle.

recession-inflation- defalation and prosperity are all parts of the on going business cycle. plan for it! dont try to rule it out.

the fact is folks dont take the time to learn how to play those cards. they blame everything from the markets are rigged to politics. the truth is different investments do well at different parts of the cycle . learn about it and you dont have to guess whats next or whats rigged. . im not saying you will see 9% a year in the future, i dont know that but you should okay regardless of what life brings and will never be devasted by any one event

i dont want to pull this off topic as we have an investment forum for this stuff but the point is you can always play those cards your dealt. its that most choose not to, dont know how to or just believe their own bull-shi% about how things are rigged and no one can make money so they do nothing but complain...
im telling you that there was a ton of money made by folks doing nothing but covering the basis and letting the cycle do its thing .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-25-2011 at 05:59 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
not sure what you mean by crooked system. but i can tell you there are a whole bunch of people out there like myself and many many others even right here in this forum who made money no matter what the economy or stock market does just by doing nothing but planning for things to cycle around.
just by covering all the bases and letting markets do its thing you could have averaged over 9% a year cagr , for almost the last 40 years. ill repeat that. you could have averaged over 9% a year for 40- years by doing nothing but allowing for uncertainty instead of ruling it out of your plan.

a simple mix of cash,gold,long term treasuries and a total market fund rebalanced once a year would have done that. no hindsite or crystal ball needed. its an investment plan that is always in place and never changess in place, just rebalanced when things fall or rise once a year.

no guessing whats next, no predicting, just a plan. THATS WHAT I MEAN BY PLAYING THE CARDS YOUR DEALT.

the markets only reflect whats happening around us. they are merely the messenger. im not talking about a pump and dump piece of crap that anyone can manipulate or structured products that wall street invents.

in hundreds of years no one has ruled out the business cycle from the equation. there is always something different that sets off the down cycle of it. sometimes its not to bad and sometimes it is but the fact is this cycle has always been with us.

its when folks do nothing or they throw all their money into equities and bet only on prosperity that they get burned and blame everyone else because they only covered one part of the business cycle.

recession-inflation- defalation and prosperity are all parts of the on going business cycle. plan for it! dont try to rule it out.

the fact is folks dont take the time to learn how to play those cards. they blame everything from the markets are rigged to politics. the truth is different inhvestments do well at different parts of the cycle . learn about it and you dont have to guess whats next or whats rigged. you do okay regardless and will never be devasted by any one event .

i dont want to pull this off topic as we have an investment forum for this stuff but the point is you can always play those cards your dealt. its that you choose not to.
again, you are acting like we are in a natural cycle and we are not.

what has been happening is NOT business as usual.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:20 AM

didnt matter ... the investments still protected just fine IF YOU ACTED. .... thats what your planning for. 2008-2009 saw equities crash 50%... but long term treasuries and gold ran with the ball making it a profitable year once again surpassing the losses in stocks .

sandy your missing the point. by learning about how to play those cards the reasons events happened become less important as to the effects on the growth or loss of your nest egg.
im not saying dont fix the ills or anything thats being manipulated or criminal. all im saying is instead of crying foul there are ways to profit too as the little person. it just takes some knowledge and a change in investment mentality from greed mode to protection mode.

its okay to speculate and "play the markets" with whatever percentage you feel isnt near and dear to you of your nest egg trying to find the next google. but the money thats near and dear to you should be in protection mode covering the different economic scenerios that can plague us unexpectedly. thats true all the time,forever. not just when you think its needed.

if on those big stock ralleye days nothing else you own is dropping alot in response than you have poor diversification generally.

the high growth of the stock markets like we saw in the 80's is gone for now. today its no longer about trying to get richer by throwing all your money into equities. its now about not growing poorer and being devasted by inflation or deflation or whatever the end result is that anyone does that causes an economic scenerio. .

getting back to the origonal thread, the fact that someone proposes a sales tax on investments so they can take away some of this protection you planned for just because they most likely own none or little is rediculious .

put a sales tax on cd's and bank accounts too, they are invested in bonds too.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-25-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
many folks including retirees and myself get a good part of our income we live on from passive investing. if your going to throw sales tax on this source of income i suggest you put sales tax on everyone elses income as well.
The amount of the tax could theoretically be so small that you as a small trader would not even notice it.
The computer-generated programs that trade millions of shares in microseconds would be the ones that generated the real tax revenue.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 AM

bull. ... put a sales tax on your own income... see how you like that. that tax would effect the income of every individual,even those with bank accounts and cd's. that money is in bonds as well. the mere fact they tightned up money market requirements as to how far they can out in time and the types of securities they can own has already dropped yields to zero and will knock a fair amount of return off them even when they start to p/u again . get the almost 50% of america who pay no taxes to pay something .

your not thinking this through any farther than your own situation.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-25-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-25-2011, 06:48 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
bull. ... put a sales tax on your own income... see how you like that.
I give up; I cannot take anymore of your idiocy. You have made it to my ignore list. Go annoy someone else. Do not respond to any more of my posts, as you add absolutely nothing of any value to the discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing