Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the answer is why dont we buy fire insurance on our house only during the dry season? afterall do you know what the chances of a fire is ? about 1%

we insure things against the un-known even though there is a remote chance something may happen because we always believe that small chance will be us..

but take something like our income in retirement from our nest egg which by the way has a 15 to 20x greater chance of failing then a fire and we dont insure that.
Apples vs. Oranges.

A fire is an instant tragedy that happens in minutes, very little chance to react/change, and the insurance for it is relatively inexpensive.

A poorly performing retirement portfolio happens over time and like I said I'm comfortable in my ability to take measures as needed like reduce expenses, go back to work, move to cheaper area, etc. Also note that moving to the level of safety you propose requires a 60% increase in net worth, which for most people is quite a few years of additional work. Very expensive.

Quote:
up to now we got away lucky as the sequences up to year 2000 were pretty good for portfolio survival.
Again, I take no stock in "up to now" talk, that statement is predicated on knowing the future and you have no idea what the economy will be like in 20 years, and whether timeframes like Great Depression and other recessions will be considered lucky in comparison.

Quote:
if you could buy a pension at work would you? would you feel more comfortable knowing no matter what the markets or rates do you get a check every month?
Of course, assuming the price and benefit seemed to work in my favor. I'm planning on retiring in my 40s, quotes for annuities might not look so friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
the s&p 500 averaged 13.5% for an amazing 17 years .
And there was 1964 to about 1982 (I forget exact dates) where the return was crap. Or 1929 until somewhere in the 1950s.

There are good stretches and bad stretches, always have been and always will.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
And there was 1964 to about 1982 (I forget exact dates) where the return was crap. Or 1929 until somewhere in the 1950s.

There are good stretches and bad stretches, always have been and always will.
We were near 600 on the S&P in the 2008 drop.
The last time we were that low was around 1997.
So, buy and hold for those 11 years got you 0%.
^GSPC Basic Chart | S&P 500 INDEX,RTH Stock - Yahoo! Finance

2 major tops, 2000 and 2006-2007 but if you did not sell, and were a holder since 1997, zilch.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
the s&p500 is not a diversified mix at all or a recommended investment portfolio by itself .
its only a group of large cap stocks.. by the same token managed large cap stock funds did pretty okay over the same time frame.
my own diversified mix was up over 60% over that time frame with plain ole fidelity funds.

they werent forced to hold the big loosers like the index funds were until finally voted out.

every other index except the s&p and dow which are large caps broke new highs long ago . the broader indexs like the wilshire which include all of the markets broke new highs a while ago too.

as of today the markets returned once again a little over 9% for the last 10,15,20 ,25 years

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-08-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Apples vs. Oranges.

A fire is an instant tragedy that happens in minutes, very little chance to react/change, and the insurance for it is relatively inexpensive.

A poorly performing retirement portfolio happens over time and like I said I'm comfortable in my ability to take measures as needed like reduce expenses, go back to work, move to cheaper area, etc. Also note that moving to the level of safety you propose requires a 60% increase in net worth, which for most people is quite a few years of additional work. Very expensive.

Again, I take no stock in "up to now" talk, that statement is predicated on knowing the future and you have no idea what the economy will be like in 20 years, and whether timeframes like Great Depression and other recessions will be considered lucky in comparison.

Of course, assuming the price and benefit seemed to work in my favor. I'm planning on retiring in my 40s, quotes for annuities might not look so friendly.
wow age 40..... your my idol if you can pull that off..... thats great.

i thought i would do early 50's, then came kids, school and health insurance for us... i was going to do it last month at 58 but it looks like ill do another 2-3 years .

at age 40 an annuity will give you about 6 bucks a month ha ha ha

Old 07-08-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We were near 600 on the S&P in the 2008 drop.
The last time we were that low was around 1997.
So, buy and hold for those 11 years got you 0%.
^GSPC Basic Chart | S&P 500 INDEX,RTH Stock - Yahoo! Finance

2 major tops, 2000 and 2006-2007 but if you did not sell, and were a holder since 1997, zilch.
Yup! Plenty of long stretches with little gains for stocks in the past. Of course a diversified portfolio, rebalanced regularly, often has a very different result.

My best performing fund over the recovery has been my small cap index, that thing was going nuts. I've rebalanced it into submission and it seems content to just sit quietly now.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
wow age 40..... your my idol if you can pull that off..... thats great.
More like mid-40s, and we'll see whether it happens or not. The x-factor is healthcare costs for two decades before medicare, it is changing so much so fast I just have no idea what to budget for it in future expenses and that frightens me. I hate having a budget line item that has a huge range of reasonable possibilities.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Well my wife and i are up to 15k for healthcare in hsa with 5k deductable/2500 per person if we pull the plug today.......
its insane....

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Apples vs. Oranges.

in theory you think you have time to react to drops and respond.,.. as we all saw in 2008 no one knows how long or steep a down turn will be . usually your blindsided by the drop and speed it happens and at that point its to late to raise cash if your low with out selling at a loss.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
as we all saw in 2008 no one knows how long or steep a down turn will be
Nah I'd have already sold all my American funds and have been in 100% bonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing