Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:31 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

China, the largest foreign holder of United States debt, said Saturday that Washington needed to “cure its addiction to debts” and “live within its means,” just hours after the rating agency Standard & Poor’s downgraded America’s long-term debt.

“International supervision over the issue of U.S. dollars should be introduced, and a new stable and secured global reserve currency may also be an option to avert a catastrophe caused by any single country,” the Xinhua commentary said.

NYT: China tells US to 'cure its addiction to debt' - Business - US business - The New York Times - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Good for China! The Dim D@mn Dum Dems won't listen to the American people so someone else has to tell them STOP SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE!!!!!

Obama: The President of the Downgrade

Hope-n-change: Hope to get a new president in 2012. We got change alright, AAA to AA+.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Yes the Politicians have sold the US out and we are now Colonies of the Chinese, Japanese, Germans and Koreans. Driving down wages and knocking out Unions and Benefits have reduced us to a Third World Labor Force. Every time you shop at SlaveMart or buy a non union auto you are serving your Colonial Masters

Old 08-06-2011, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 26,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Good for China! The Dim D@mn Dum Dems won't listen to the American people so someone else has to tell them STOP SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE!!!!!

Obama: The President of the Downgrade

Hope-n-change: Hope to get a new president in 2012. We got change alright, AAA to AA+.
Yeah the downgrade that only came into play because the PREVIOUS president decided to enter into not one, but TWO wars... with only one of them being truly justified. The war in Iraq was nothing we had any business in, yet Bush decided to send out troops there, spend OUR tax money, and sacrifice our lives just because he needed more oil and revenge for his father. Obama has been doing nothing since he got in the white house but try to fix the wrongs that BUSH set on America while still attempting to do what he had campaigned to do.

And I don't know if you know this or not, but the HOR and the Senate are currently made up of a majority amount of Republicans who will ALWAYS continue to reject whatever Obama does, just because of who he is and the part he is with.

Don't blame Obama for anything because it's morons like you who voted the rest of the senates and Republicans into the other sections of the government and are now forcing Obama to constantly be at a struggle where he simple CAN'T help the country he swore to protect.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Quote:
Don't blame Obama for anything because it's morons like you who voted the rest of the senates and Republicans into the other sections of the government and are now forcing Obama to constantly be at a struggle where he simple CAN'T help the country he swore to protect.
Are you drunk? You've got to be kidding, right?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,561 times
The USA needs to pass a balanced budget amendment otherwise we are headed for depression!!!

Tea party republicans are right! If anything what is going to cause a depression is Washington overspending into oblivion.

The Chinese are clearly warning us. The S&P downgrade is the canary in the coal mine.

Quote:
Yeah the downgrade that only came into play because the PREVIOUS president decided to enter into not one, but TWO wars... with only one of them being truly justified. The war in Iraq was nothing we had any business in, yet Bush decided to send out troops there, spend OUR tax money, and sacrifice our lives just because he needed more oil and revenge for his father. Obama has been doing nothing since he got in the white house but try to fix the wrongs that BUSH set on America while still attempting to do what he had campaigned to do.
Last I checked, Obama was FULLY SUPPORTING both wars. He even started yet another war we cannot afford. It needs to stop. If Obama wanted to stop the wars, he could but he hasn't, why? Its bad enough we went in there in the first place but its even worse to continue a failed policy. The USA cannot afford the war on terror and we cannot afford to police the world. I'd say we need to cut defense spending by ATLEAST 50%. ATLEAST.

Quote:
And I don't know if you know this or not, but the HOR and the Senate are currently made up of a majority amount of Republicans who will ALWAYS continue to reject whatever Obama does, just because of who he is and the part he is with.
Thats called politics.

Quote:
Lets not forget that the republican majority is only a recent change in Washington. The republicans are the ones saying we need to balance the budget just as china is telling us to do. It was obama and the democrat controlled congress that pushed through all this stimulus overspending which frankly hasn't done much for the economy and worse yet the overspending has now caused us to drop below AAA grade and our debt to GDP ratio is above 100%. It would be nice to do the stimulus spending IF we had budget surpluses, that is not the case. We are borrowing the money at interest to fund these projects.

At the end of the day BOTH republicans and democrats are going to have to make changes that they do not like:

Tax increases for the rich and the middle class.
Cuts to defense spending
Cuts to domestic spending

At this point, we have NO options left. We have to drastically cut spending and increase taxes otherwise we are headed for a depression. Mind you, it was only the tea party republicans who supported the balanced budget amendment.

Last edited by a34dadsf; 08-06-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I tni what we will see is redcution in corporate and busiess taxes to match thsoe of other countries that have been doig it for sometime. The txa base will be broaden and rates actully lower but mnay more will not escape paying taxes.Defense spending will not be the main cuts as since clinton their budget has stayed at about 4% while three things have risen to crisis status. SS(easy to fix) ;medicare and medicaid, Those are the increasing cost program that will consume 16% of the 18% that feds take in if they contimue to grow by 2040.Basically we need cuts to investment in technology and R&D becaquse as we saw from the Reagan and then the clinton days ;growth is the way to increrase revenues. Investing money in programs that only consume and provide no welth i return since the 60's has been our problem. Its end with too many dependent on too few.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:18 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
At the end of the day BOTH republicans and democrats are going to have to make changes that they do not like:

Tax increases for the rich and the middle class.
Cuts to defense spending
Cuts to domestic spending

At this point, we have NO options left. We have to drastically cut spending and increase taxes otherwise we are headed for a depression. Mind you, it was only the tea party republicans who supported the balanced budget amendment.
Agree. If the only way GOP will accept revenue increases is across the board - so be it. The Bush tax cuts have to go. I'm willing to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I tni what we will see is redcution in corporate and busiess taxes to match thsoe of other countries that have been doig it for sometime. The txa base will be broaden and rates actully lower but mnay more will not escape paying taxes.Defense spending will not be the main cuts as since clinton their budget has stayed at about 4% while three things have risen to crisis status. SS(easy to fix) ;medicare and medicaid, Those are the increasing cost program that will consume 16% of the 18% that feds take in if they contimue to grow by 2040.Basically we need cuts to investment in technology and R&D becaquse as we saw from the Reagan and then the clinton days ;growth is the way to increrase revenues. Investing money in programs that only consume and provide no welth i return since the 60's has been our problem. Its end with too many dependent on too few.
Agree. Smart investments that grow (not drain) the economy. Hope our myopic intransigent politicians can grasp the concept.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
The Chinese are just blowing hot air, c'mon.....do you think they are buying US debt for our benefit? No, they need to buy our debt to manipulate their currency and keep their export sector strong.

Seriously......its an odd world when people think China's commentary on the US is anything but pure propaganda for internal consumption. If the Chinese say American should do X, its because X benefits China and hurts America.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:14 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Quote:
I'm willing to pay.
I'm willing to pay too, but not until I know that the extra sacrifice is going to go to fixing the problem, and not into the DC blank hole to keep the status quo, and I think most people would agree with me. The first thing DC needs to do is make massive cuts and balance the budget. Not in 10 years, not in 5 years - right now! I would then inplement a 1% national sales tax on EVERYTHING, and a 1 cent per share tax on the purchase of stock. The revenue from these two taxes would be dedicated soley to paying down princicple on the national debt. First priority would be given to first paying off the IOUs that are owed to Social Security. These taxes would expire immediatley upon the succesfull retirment of the debt. Imagine how much money in interest payments would be saved long term with that kind of debt paydown! I would also seriously consider rliminating all foreign aid money that we send all over the world to countries who don't much like is for anything except the money we give them anyway. The hell with them, Americans come first.

Quote:
No, they need to buy our debt to manipulate their currency and keep their export sector strong.
Yes, they do. That's why they're not very happy with us flooding the world with it and making it worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing