Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Somehow I just can't bring myself to weep for someone who kills himself rather than live the way I do every day
Would this be the case if that someone were someone you knew? I don't weep for this person, but I don't judge him either. I accept that everyone is different and that some people (even in US culture) are cut from a different cloth than others. If you're one of the lucky ones with the right stuff upstairs (which is largely a function of chemistry), count yourself lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM

645 posts, read 988,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
You'd be surprised, especially in you are living in a van or the woods. Not everyone has the constitution to be homeless.

I remember making a huge error on the job that cost the company about $40K. Even though I'd given my notice, I was still devastated that I could make such a stupid and small mistake (a detail) but it still cost the company that much and so I sort of understand in some cultures (and I think the Asian cultures are more susceptible to this) suicide isn't uncommon. For some reason South Korea has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. And group suicides are not uncommon. But I digress.

Not to make light of this awful news, but if this guy were French - instead of jumping off a building, he'd probably declare himself a national hero.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Would this be the case if that someone were someone you knew? I don't weep for this person, but I don't judge him either. I accept that everyone is different and that some people (even in US culture) are cut from a different cloth than others. If you're one of the lucky ones with the right stuff upstairs (which is largely a function of chemistry), count yourself lucky.
Probably would be, you seem free to judge me

Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Probably would be, you seem free to judge me
How do I judge you? I don't know of your political leanings, but the only group I'm guilty of judging are the guys on "the other side."

Anyway, I don't want to get off topic, but your statement does confuse me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing