Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times

Advertisements

People always hate or love someone who is great. And I think he is great thanks op it is interesting of what he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:51 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Somebody in the tech world, while having a candid conversation, once told me that Dell and HP higher-ups hate him for his Islamic roots.

Not sure if the theory had any validity.
Missed this comment, earlier, AC. Not surprising, I suppose. Jealousy/fear has many roots. People resented/feared the Jews because they controlled the money. Jobs resented because of his Islamic roots is a bit of a stretch, especially since Steve was born in the US, raised by ordinary working class people, and looked and acted in his younger years like the typical California kid/hippie. More likely they just resented the fact that he was on a whole other level - one they knew they could never attain if they had five lives - but had to pin it on something.

In the aftermath of his death, still discussed today everywhere, I can't help but wonder how Jandali will deal with this going forward. Imagine having fathered a person of this magnitude and never having met him. Talk about regret.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 AM

Okay, for the really curious among us, googled tonight and found this - much more in-depth on Abdulfattah Jandali. Fills in a lot of the blanks. Turns out the family was well-to-do by Syrian standards. Also, read some of the comments. Hilarious - the Germans and Arabs are debating which parent contributed to the genius of Steve Jobs.http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif (broken link)

Steve Jobs is a biological Arab-American with roots in Syria | Ya Libnan | World News Live from Lebanon

Fascinating Wiki entry on Steve's sister Mona - best-selling author and professor of languages and literature at Bard College.

Mona Simpson (novelist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lastly, an ancient (1997), really good read on the more personal side with a lot more on Mona, nature v. nurture, and genetics.

Excerpt:
Quote:
The interactions between Simpson and Jobs, and learning how similar they were, had a major effect on Jobs. Steve Lohr of the New York Times wrote "The effect of all this on Jobs seems to be a certain sense of calming fatalism — less urgency to control his immediate environment and a greater trust that life’s outcomes are, to a certain degree, wired in the genes."
Creating Jobs - New York Times

Now, I think I finally know pretty much all I need to know about Steve Jobs' DNA.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-08-2011 at 01:55 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 09:23 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
People always hate or love someone who is great. And I think he is great thanks op it is interesting of what he said.
Now you know why they hate me, fraulein

Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,490 times
Steve Jobs definitely did think different. He accomplished so much in a short period of time. I hope Apple continues to innovate and provide consumers products that they can't replicate anywhere else. Apple can't replace Jobs, but they can use his relentless desire to create as the companies destiny to push on and continue to think different.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
Steve Jobs definitely did think different. He accomplished so much in a short period of time. I hope Apple continues to innovate and provide consumers products that they can't replicate anywhere else. Apple can't replace Jobs, but they can use his relentless desire to create as the companies destiny to push on and continue to think different.
iFloor, I can open apps with my bum

Men will have more difficulty unless they put the razor to use, unless Apple innovates hairy touch.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 PM

The more I read about Jobs, the more I am coming to believe any major shareholder of Apple might start to lighten up a bit. He had a terrific run and guys like him don't come along that frequently. Visionary, transformative, genius, pushing the boundaries - very unique traits.

As an example, Steve was walking the beach in Hawaii w/Bob Iger and suggested that Iger/Disney buy the entire island they were on for some venture they were discussing. Iger was dumbfounded, because he didn't 'see' any for sale signs. Now, that is narrow thinking and so typical. Steve wasn't shackled by 'no for sale signs.' I'm sure he never gave it a thought. If he decided to buy something, he just went about doing it. Frankly, when I read this I wondered why Iger was running Disney. Not much thinking out-of-the-box, there. Even I am more imaginative than that. The house I am in right now was bought because I tracked down the owner and made an offer. There was no for sale sign ever. I had walked by one day and liked the look of it. Turned out owner was in a nursing home, I negotiated with her attorney, and have been here ever since. Did this back in 1975.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-08-2011 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Another individual with mixed genes and wonderful output, Barack Obama.

But of course, many would argue otherwise, especially after swearing to make him fail on a 24 hour basis It's like their breakfast pledge.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:

But of course, many would argue otherwise, especially after swearing to make him fail on a 24 hour basis It's like their breakfast pledge.
Patriots, through and through.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:54 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:

Yes, many would argue otherwise....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing