Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 AM

440 posts, read 1,681,957 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to get the biggest return on $100,000 in 12-14 months?

Hypothetically speaking (as of now), I have $100,000 at my disposal, I want to invest to where I will get the biggest return on it. In 12-14 months cash out, and use it as a down-payment on real estate.

Pie in the sky, I'd love a high-rise condo downtown.

I know high risk stuff will likely gain the most, but I don't want to throw the $100,000 down the toilet. I'd rather stuff it under a mattress than chance losing it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM

321 posts, read 533,622 times
They have said "NO risk, No gain".
I say there is still risk putting it under the mattress as there is still risk when fire breaks out or robbers break in, all that money would be totally gone.
Biggest gain wihile risking it is be bookie taking the well spread bets without gambing on it.The only risk - you would get arrested for being an illegal bookie.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:12 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times
If you want no risk then your looking at a bank FDIC insured. But except minimum gains.

Now Tap-Molson Coors could be going back to 50?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWPN View Post
What is the best way to get the biggest return on $100,000 in 12-14 months?

Hypothetically speaking (as of now), I have $100,000 at my disposal, I want to invest to where I will get the biggest return on it. In 12-14 months cash out, and use it as a down-payment on real estate.

Pie in the sky, I'd love a high-rise condo downtown.

I know high risk stuff will likely gain the most, but I don't want to throw the $100,000 down the toilet. I'd rather stuff it under a mattress than chance losing it all.
You already know no on knows the answer to this, so why do you ask?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 PM

440 posts, read 1,681,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You already know no on knows the answer to this, so why do you ask?
Actually, I don't, that's why I posted. Don't assume people are investment savvy; I wanted other's input and advice.

I'd suggest you invest in grammar and a decent spell-check.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
In the current environment, much more than under normal circumstances, all "safe" places to park money are essentially having ZERO effecttive return. This is largely due to the ENORMOUS uncertainity that exists. This uncertainty is largely caused by the disconnect between the statements and actions of our political leaders that continue to drag their feet on the profound problems of reigning in government debt in the face of anemmic growth.

The decision by the FRB to continue to allow for artificially low interest rates gives NO incentive for other low risk investments to offer higher interest rates.

Now, should one wish to take advantage of the unique situation of offered by more volatile investments it might be possible to capture some large upside, but with that upside comes the far more likely scenario of, as the ads are forced to say "losing some or all of your capital"...

While some people here that last part and think "GOSH, losing some or all of my capital sounds like 'going to a casinio and not getting a free drink' to ease the pain" the reality is that there are ALWAYS oppurtunities to find unfairly underpriced securities and ride them for a solid return, however since by your own admission you are pretty clueless about them I really would advise againt using money earmarked for a home for such a purpose.

A nice CD from an online bank ight pay about 1.25%...

Old 10-11-2011, 08:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

While some people here that last part and think "GOSH, losing some or all of my capital sounds like 'going to a casinio and not getting a free drink' to ease the pain" the reality is that there are ALWAYS oppurtunities to find unfairly underpriced securities and ride them for a solid return,
We had a discussion on another thread where a poster gave an example of a Mortgage REIT tied to the stock market as a basic sure thing to get a nice return in 6-12 months.

I showed an example that you shouldn't confuse outcome w/strategy.

There is no free lunch. If I knew 100% in advance which securities to exploit, I wouldn't be posting on the internet (neither would you)

The only thing closest to a decent return would be i-bonds....other than that, its slim pickens...

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,276 times
As the others have said, no risk no gain.

Basically the way you need to think about it is the more risk you take the more reward. So if you want to make 30% then you could also lose 30%. If you want to get 10% then you could also lose 10%.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Gold and silver (holding the precious metals yourself, of course). Even now.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWPN View Post
Actually, I don't, that's why I posted. Don't assume people are investment savvy; I wanted other's input and advice.

I'd suggest you invest in grammar and a decent spell-check.
Sorry, my wireless keyboard doesn't always reigster as well as a regular one, and, despite my proofreading, I sometimes miss my typos.

But the answer to your question is as Coupon Jack said....No one really knows any way to get a guaranteed high return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing