Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,657,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaKraut View Post
Excuse me, this fund has paid 7 cents per share every month for over 10 years. That is over $8.40 per share you could have reinvested! When you add that to the current share price you are ahead without question.

And let me just add that the market overall is lower today than it was 10 years ago. It has gone NOWHERE, which holds true for many Mutual Funds!

And incidentally, Morningstar had rated it a 4 STAR fund as recently as a few months ago.

If you don't like dividends, that is your own opinion. But not every one elses. Below is a link to an independent source about GABUX. I have continously bought into the fund since last year and am ahead with dividends included. There are a lot of peolple here they wish they could say that!

Click on the link below for an unbiased opinion. I really don't give a s..t whether you agree or not.

Powering Up
This is a stock fund plain and simple. This is in no way comparable to a "fixed" investment. No "fixed" investment will drop >30% like this fund did back in 08/09. This is the same thing I told some lady on here a couple months ago touting a "stable" stock fund.....if you had money you couldn't afford to lose you would NOT invest it in this.

Morninstar ratings are useless also. How many "5 star" funds are dogs years later? Too many to count.

I don't care about someone's "opinion" from a financial magazine. It has zero bearing on the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 AM

105,920 posts, read 107,900,219 times
by the way the supposed tax advantage is no big deal either. ithe amount of taxes you pay ultimately is just about the same.

in fact when you get a return of capital you can look at it the same way as annuity.

you buy 100k worth of shares and lets say its a 6% withdrawl,i wont use the words interest or return.

in effect for the first 11-12 years all your really getting is your own money back you handed them. your return is really zero and your tax liability is zero.

irs laws make them figure it differently so each payment is considered part return of capital and part interest even if the net effect is you have gotten zero return for 11 years.

after you got back your money if it wasnt for the irs laws you wouldnt see your first dime of gain until years down the road.

our reit has been paying us 7% since day one. little did we know they were doing it with our own money and not just from the business income. the end result is even if the properties were sold for just what we paid we would get 25% less as of now per share.. that whopper of a return of 7% will end up really being maybe 2% if anything.

to this day there are still jerks going "but im getting 7%"

Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
This is a stock fund plain and simple. This is in no way comparable to a "fixed" investment. No "fixed" investment will drop >30% like this fund did back in 08/09. This is the same thing I told some lady on here a couple months ago touting a "stable" stock fund.....if you had money you couldn't afford to lose you would NOT invest it in this.

Morninstar ratings are useless also. How many "5 star" funds are dogs years later? Too many to count.

I don't care about someone's "opinion" from a financial magazine. It has zero bearing on the conversation.
morningstar has funds mis-matched to other funds every which way . they may be a 4 or 5 star fund because of it but in reality are not so good when accurately compared to the right group.

want an example: fidelity strategic real return.

it consists of commodities,reits,floating rate loans and TIPS

its compared to bond funds because of the way it buys the commodities doing swaps with treasuries to get a round rules of funds owning commodities directly. it couldnt be further from a bond fund .

Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM

22,597 posts, read 24,404,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diedeick87 View Post
I think that you could find a job, but in the same time I'd recommand you to buy some old painting. I know maybe it seems to be a strange idea, but with the actual economy, it could be better to put some money in a great old french painting, than in a bank account...
That's what I do.

Kind regards,

D
PS: excuse my poor english, I'm francophone.
Huh, and you are IN***E too............a painting........really????

Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM

22,597 posts, read 24,404,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'd buy gold, hide it, and get a job.

Really........gold..........not much upside left I think........downside.....yikes.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM

31,341 posts, read 14,111,956 times
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
[SIZE=5]tickyul[/SIZE]
befriend
3,061 posts, read 763,927 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi

Really........gold..........not much upside left I think........downside.....yikes
There is "plenty" of upside left in gold. Plenty. The recent pull back in gold is a buying opportunity.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:21 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,111,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
01-03-2012, 04:57 PM
[SIZE=5]tickyul[/SIZE]
befriend
3,061 posts, read 763,927 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi

Really........gold..........not much upside left I think........downside.....yikes

There is "plenty" of upside left in gold. Plenty. The recent pull back in gold is a buying opportunity.
I thought this was interesting. Just diggin' around this morning, wasting time, and found this from way back on 1/13/12
Gold price that day was $1,639 per oz
Gold price today is $1,951 per oz
A gain of $312 / oz or 19% return over 9 years, barely 2% per year.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I thought this was interesting. Just diggin' around this morning, wasting time, and found this from way back on 1/13/12
Gold price that day was $1,639 per oz
Gold price today is $1,951 per oz
A gain of $312 / oz or 19% return over 9 years, barely 2% per year.
cherry picking time frames will always find a time something beats some thing else .

if you sat in the us equity market the last 20 years , you would have seen 10k in that us equity market grow to a mere 34,980 vs gold growing to 60,374

the last 15 years saw 10k in gold grow to 40,229, us equity market 37,610.

but golds power is not in sitting static as a lump ... gold tends to rise when stocks fall so rebalancing tends to buy more equities than sitting in cash would . so the real power is in gold working as a team with long term treasuries , and equities .

gold also tends to react to negative real returns on cash . so if you pick a time where real returns on cash are positive gold likely did poorly .

ytd , gold up 29 % , total market up 11%

the shaded areas are when real returns on cash instruments were negative ....

gold does not react to normal inflation well at all but there is a strong correlation to it working well when real returns go negative as they have been
gold up 29% ytd and 18% last year

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-07-2020 at 05:17 AM..

Old 11-07-2020, 11:43 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,350,081 times
now that Biden wins,what kind of stimulus package would he be recommending?
what is going to happen to the stock and commodity markets?

Old 11-07-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
now that Biden wins,what kind of stimulus package would he be recommending?
what is going to happen to the stock and commodity markets?
no one knows ......if we did we get all be very wealthy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing