Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM

86 posts, read 123,908 times

Advertisements

I love Vanguard especially their Admiral Shares. Between their Personal, Institutional, and Finacial Advisors sites one can educate themselves and cut through all the bs in the financial arena. This company is the only ethical one in the financial arena as far as Im concerned! One stop shopping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I would say that 80% of firms that sell mutual funds are really driven not by the quality of their investment skills but by the success of their salespeople in getting captive investors (like those that are signed up by clueless management and / or associated business like insurance firms) to fork over dough.

Vanguard and a handful of other firms so dominate the result of pretty much every category of mutual fund that it is more an illustration of how clueless most "investors" tend to be than any magic of other firms...

Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Exactly, and it is disgusting that companies sell their customer information but we also like Vanguard for their low cost funds. No one can beat Fidelity for their research capabilities but there is a price for that also. My husband uses Vanguard and I keep Fidelity so we get the best of both world's. Make your own decisions and avoid the salespeople who are only commission driven. I recommend Ric Edelman's The Truth About Money to anyone who is looking for solid information and just starting out.

I would not insult most investors as being clueless when they exercise independent thinking and make choices based on their personal situations rather than magic.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i use fidelity and vanguard with the bulk being fidelity.

fidelity has much more in the way of funds that enable you to really fine tune a portfolio to just the way you want it if broad indexing isnt your thing..

managers have all different weightings and strategys. one fund i like that meets my goals is fidelity strategic dividends and income. a unique mix for a conservative equity fund that consists of 50% common stock,15% reits,15% convertable stock and 15% preferred stock as their stated goal.
that meshes well with our portfolio which already has bond positions so we didnt want an equity fund that held conventional bonds.

i do use vanguard right now for some bond funds and i use VTI total market fund for my permanent portfolio.

with that exception my equity investments are all fidelity managed funds ..

as i point out all the time , being 100% invested all the time indexing can have big peaks and valleys with big gains and big drops. at the end of the day the average return is somewhere inbetween. i prefer to have portfolios with less volatility and swings between the peaks and valleys but end up meeting at the same mid point eventually as well. that usually takes some unique management styles to pull off .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-02-2011 at 04:00 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM

345 posts, read 994,537 times
I prefer Fidelity because it offers a wider variety of funds than Vanguard, and Fidelity has better customer service hours. I was researching one night - Vanguard didn't answer its phone after 5 pm but Fidelity did. I bought a fund with Fidelity that night and have used it strictly ever since because it was able to answer my question at a time convenient to me. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy Vanguard funds at Fidelity, but not vice versa.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM

i prefer fidelity too from a customer standpoint. i have a private access account and get all kinds of perks.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:45 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
I love Vanguard especially their Admiral Shares. Between their Personal, Institutional, and Finacial Advisors sites one can educate themselves and cut through all the bs in the financial arena. This company is the only ethical one in the financial arena as far as Im concerned! One stop shopping!
It traditionally has the lowest expenses, but often we are not free to choose which company to handle our largest accumulations of investment money: retirement funds.

The big players like Fidelity and American know to make the deals for control of our retirement funds, and all they have to do is pay off the Robber-Baron CEO to lock in the profits of using our retirement money. The CEOs would care about investment returns and fees, if we had stayed with traditional pension plans. Today, with business becoming rich off the backs of workers who will never rise above poverty, it's not their problem.

There's nothing "free market" about modern systems; they are just as corrupt and warped as any organization/system that grows to the point where those who create no wealth become rich by playing with the earnings of others.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:24 PM

where do you get this stuff from? do you just dream it up as the need arises ?

you are so clueless about things and really should refrain from commenting on things many times .

you shoot from the hip believing your own bull-sh%t which exists more in your own head than truth.

i own the exact same fidelity funds both in my 401k account and on my own. the difference is a fraction of a percent between the two. most of their funds are all available in your 401k or out and you can go fund by fund and the annual returns are so close as to be not even a factor.

you are so busy trying to be against anything pertaining to markets and investing that you make up your own facts.

show us all where fidelity is stealing our profits from our 401k's im dying to see this!

thats not to say your own company isnt skimming money off the top by getting a kick back for going with fidelity but thats your own company screwing you.

i put a dollar in my plan and 1 dollar is invested and like i said you can compare the same funds returns both in and out of a 401k and they are almost identical.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-05-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 05:29 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsjacob38 View Post
Other competitions like Fidelity and T. Rowe Price.

I did well with Vanguard STAR but I am planning to move my Roth IRA from Edward Jones to Vanguard again, what do you think? They have no load funds and low MER's.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 PM

121 posts, read 412,323 times
I'm thinking about starting a new Roth acct with Vanguard starting this year because I've heard good things and Clark Howard highly recommends them too.

I was curious though if anyone knew about the quality of USAA Roth IRA accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing