Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:05 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,048,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Wouldn't 9% per yr. over ten yrs. be a 90% return?

your math isn't making sense.
Are you serious that you don't know a single thing about the time value of money?

Time value of money (including compounding) calculations form the basis of every financial calculation you will do involving interest (savings accounts, bonds, future/present value). It is one of the first things required to know in the most basic finance class (and jobs) to even understand the subject. A complete lack of knowledge of even the subject for some one who claims such great knowledge of financial markets is absurd to the point of the ridiculous.

I would say that's a fail...but you don't even seem to understand the nature of the discussion itself or the things that need to be understood in order to even participate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:07 PM

106,529 posts, read 108,647,625 times
but its my math that isnt making sense. ha ha ha ha

Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Wouldn't 9% per yr. over ten yrs. be a 90% return?

your math isn't making sense.

What your failing to say is how much you started out with. Starting at 0 and then adding 401k monies, even with matching funds would have you start with
over 50k+ in order to have 7 figures now. And unless it's in a lock box, you are at the whims of Goldman and retirement timing in order to have anything when you retire.
Cross your fingers and hope they don't short you on retirement day.

When you start to withdraw, it will count as income. Which will be taxed to death, if you take out any substantial amount per yr.
there are many ways to deal with taxes at retirement. in fact taxes are the lowest today than at any point in my working career.

think about this my dear modeerf, a retired couple today can pull 35,000 bucks out of their retirement money and pay only 1500 bucks in taxes on it.

thats right, you get a bonus exemption at 65 and just with the standard deductions and exemptions a retired couple would pay 1500 bucks on that retirement income. they may have their social security taxed but thats another issue.

im not sure where you dream up your info but i suggest you start to get a real financial education instead of running on myths ,rumors and incorrect information.

for ways of turning forever taxable money into never taxable money i suggest reading or watching some of ed slotts stuff.

instead of wasting your time predicting the future put your time to good use and learn something that can actually benefit your financial well being.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there are many ways to deal with taxes at retirement. in fact taxes are the lowest today than at any point in my working career.

think about this my dear modeerf, a retired couple today can pull 35,000 bucks out of their retirement money and pay only 1500 bucks in taxes on it.

thats right, you get a bonus exemption at 65 and just with the standard deductions and exemptions a retired couple would pay 1500 bucks on that retirement income. they may have their social security taxed but thats another issue.

im not sure where you dream up your info but i suggest you start to get a real financial education instead of running on myths ,rumors and incorrect information.

for ways of turning forever taxable money into never taxable money i suggest reading or watching some of ed slotts stuff.

instead of wasting your time predicting the future put your time to good use and learn something that can actually benefit your financial well being.
It's a peasants return.
That can be legislated and shorted.

Your being played.

i appreciate your concern in regards to my financial well being.

Like i said before. Own the resource, not the equity. Lot's of silver spoons in the cupboard.
When the system goes down in flames, and the MF Globals of the world suck your last dime. I'll be filling my rig, and my belly.

I know that sounds smug, but i really, really know of what i speak. Like one crying from the rooftop, equities, bonds and treasuries are no security in this designed normal.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 PM

well continue on whatever path you like. let us know how it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing