Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:18 PM

9 posts, read 41,131 times

Advertisements

Is the stock market volatility starting to get to anyone here? What has your financial advisor done about it? Does he contact you, or do you never hear from him? Does the recent volatility make you want to meet with an advisor more or less?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 12:39 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,336,596 times
I do not use a financial advisor. Yes, it has been a white knuckle ride, but that is to be expected. Diversification is key but not always a guarantee.

And "no" I do not need to meet with a financial advisor since I have managed my portfolio for the better part of 25 years and with better results than most can offer.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 PM

interesting. Do you use mutual funds or individual stocks? What is your investment philosophy?

Old 08-26-2007, 01:06 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,336,596 times
Growth and Income - and right after the dot com bust I was conservative for a while and maybe a bit too long. I just study the market and see what works best for me. My stock portfolio started out with "$11,000" in what we called "play money" which has become a six figure portfolio. My mutuals are considerably more, some of my Fidelity funds have not recovered as I had hoped but my others such as Oakmark, Dodge and Cox, Vanguard, etc. have far exceeded my expectations.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:09 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,893,182 times
Wife and I had factored in a 10% correction. The worry was that it might be 20% or greater. It was due and needed as the market had gone up to fast and to high in a short period of time. I found it interesting that as the Dow hit the 10% fall mark it suddenly began to reverse and head back up and still is. Corrections are great and form the foundation for future gains. They occur when the market is overpriced of there are fundamental issues. This was a combination of fundamental issues with credit etc. Right now we are very happy with the correction having occurred
and the movement back up. Slow and steady. We are retiring at the start of 08 and will be 60 next year. Our investments are still long term and very growth oriented and subject to fluctuations. We are fortunate that our retirement plan is phased in with social security and our tax shelters having a role in our out years.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 PM

420 posts, read 2,194,898 times
Wow, good returns for you jhl! Maybe you should come up to the city and see if I've got any work for ya! Just kidding, I'm sure you're happily retired.

Stock market volatility gets me through my day. Otherwise I'd die of complete boredom.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:27 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,919,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrgoal99 View Post
Is the stock market volatility starting to get to anyone here? What has your financial advisor done about it? Does he contact you, or do you never hear from him? Does the recent volatility make you want to meet with an advisor more or less?
I don't have a financial advisor, and don't feel the need for one at present. Nobody cares about my money as much as I do, and I care enough to find out what I need to know on my own.

I plan to retire in less than 3 years. My asset allocation is 60/40 and pretty well diversified between funds, so I haven't really been tempted to do anything rash. Buy and hold seems to work for me. In prior downturns, I found out that 75/25 caused me to lose sleep, so I adjusted that last year to 60/40.

I can't say it doesn't affect me at all - - I have been checking the market every day, and I have computed several "what if?" scenarios. But now that the market seems to be stabilizing and doing better, I am not so worried.

What worries me more is the real estate slump, since I tentatively plan to sell my house and move to another state when I retire. It's pretty hard to sell right now. I am hoping that we will be out of this slump, or at least somewhat improved, by the time I retire.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wife and I had factored in a 10% correction. The worry was that it might be 20% or greater. It was due and needed as the market had gone up to fast and to high in a short period of time. I found it interesting that as the Dow hit the 10% fall mark it suddenly began to reverse and head back up and still is. Corrections are great and form the foundation for future gains. They occur when the market is overpriced of there are fundamental issues. This was a combination of fundamental issues with credit etc. Right now we are very happy with the correction having occurred
and the movement back up. Slow and steady. We are retiring at the start of 08 and will be 60 next year. Our investments are still long term and very growth oriented and subject to fluctuations. We are fortunate that our retirement plan is phased in with social security and our tax shelters having a role in our out years.

Congrads on being near returement. Long term investing is good, but make sure you do the calculations. Today, it is said people need at least a million to retire safely, and that is if it continues to be invested.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I don't have a financial advisor, and don't feel the need for one at present. Nobody cares about my money as much as I do, and I care enough to find out what I need to know on my own.

I plan to retire in less than 3 years. My asset allocation is 60/40 and pretty well diversified between funds, so I haven't really been tempted to do anything rash. Buy and hold seems to work for me. In prior downturns, I found out that 75/25 caused me to lose sleep, so I adjusted that last year to 60/40.

I can't say it doesn't affect me at all - - I have been checking the market every day, and I have computed several "what if?" scenarios. But now that the market seems to be stabilizing and doing better, I am not so worried.

What worries me more is the real estate slump, since I tentatively plan to sell my house and move to another state when I retire. It's pretty hard to sell right now. I am hoping that we will be out of this slump, or at least somewhat improved, by the time I retire.

You never want to lose sleep over your investments. Have you figured out how much you plan to bank on the house sale and subsequential purchase in a new state?

Old 08-26-2007, 05:49 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,893,182 times
Default Three pillars of retirement we are blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrgoal99 View Post
Congrads on being near returement. Long term investing is good, but make sure you do the calculations. Today, it is said people need at least a million to retire safely, and that is if it continues to be invested.
Thats where we are lucky. We have sold in expensive housing market and paid cash for a beautiful new home elsewhere. We each have gov't pensions that will start in the mid 80's. That leaves investments and SS for down the road hedges against medical and inflation. Other then car notes thats it on debt. So we have a number of safeguards based on all reasonable current assumptions. Our pension is the equivalent of over 2 million with a 4% yearly draw down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing