Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:47 PM

161 posts, read 731,095 times

Advertisements

ok, but if i take line of credit say at 7.25% than i have to pay that back. so if i borrow 50k at 7.25% thats huge debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 09:13 PM

629 posts, read 3,598,725 times
Call Dave Ramsey..........he will tell you to pay off all your debt and invest the rest in mutual funds, assuming you have your 401k maxed out! The Vanguard 500 is a great fund!

Old 09-22-2007, 08:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,570 times
Take your time and find a good financial guy. You don't want to get advise from a bunch of strangers on a chat room. Be sure to do your research. I had a friend whos parents retired and gave all their money to a financial person and he lost all of it for them. Now they have nothing. My financial guy (a genius I might add) says diversify, diversify, diversify. You do not want all of your eggs in one basket. Now is a great time to invest in real estate. The market is down, that means it will eventually go back up. (history repeats itself). A lot of people who would have got a loan a year ago can not get one now to buy a house, so that means they are renting. So you go and buy a rental and rent it out. The mortgage and taxes etc pay for themself. If you pay the entire mortgage off by renting it out that is a great income for you after you retire. Think about it. Good Luck.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 PM

161 posts, read 731,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
Take your time and find a good financial guy. You don't want to get advise from a bunch of strangers on a chat room. Be sure to do your research. I had a friend whos parents retired and gave all their money to a financial person and he lost all of it for them. Now they have nothing. My financial guy (a genius I might add) says diversify, diversify, diversify. You do not want all of your eggs in one basket. Now is a great time to invest in real estate. The market is down, that means it will eventually go back up. (history repeats itself). A lot of people who would have got a loan a year ago can not get one now to buy a house, so that means they are renting. So you go and buy a rental and rent it out. The mortgage and taxes etc pay for themself. If you pay the entire mortgage off by renting it out that is a great income for you after you retire. Think about it. Good Luck.
thanks, but ill wait till price drops even more

Old 09-23-2007, 09:54 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusa View Post
i have 100k cash at hand. i dont need it to live on, but i want to make some money with it. any advice?
Get a credentialed financial planner.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
check out both the vanguard mutual funds and fidelity funds and read the information
they mail you so you know the risk. Windsor 2, and Wellington are both good vanguard
funds, you also can leave some in their money market account. They also have a growth and income fund which is good. It depends just how long you also have to let this
money grow, and go with ups and downs of the market. why I say leave some in the money market which you can touch with the downs. I am not sure if windsor 1 is still
open but john neff did wonders with that fund which i still hold. Verizon and AT&T provide a good yield, and you can reinvest the dividends for added growth, and for cost averaging.

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-03-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 10-03-2007, 05:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
i have 100k cash at hand. i dont need it to live on, but i want to make some money with it. any advice?
How old are you, what type of "other" income do you have, how risky are you willing to get, and do you have a family?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:27 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
Quote:
You're best bet is to start reading and learning about investing. If you visit the Vanguard website, it's got lots of good information.

You'll probably want to diversify to minimize your risk.

It's difficult to offer much more advice without knowing anything about your situation, but in general, I would say, pay off your debts, and maximize yearly contributions to your Roth IRA. Invest some money into the Vanguard 500, but not all at once, slowly.

Greenie

Old 10-03-2007, 07:36 PM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times
Quote:
i dont have time frame. ill just keep it in high yield savings account for now, and use interest money for entertainment. real estate is the worst investment now!
Yes I agree that real estate is the worst investment plan at this time.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Yes I agree that real estate is the worst investment plan at this time.
How can anyone make a blanket statement like that? Real estate is a highly regionalized business. What works (or doesn't) in one area is completely unrelated to another area. To assume that real estate is a terrible investment everywhere would be most inaccurate. In addition, there are many types of REI that do well during different market conditions (including a falling market).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing