Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,508 times

Advertisements

Don't know enough about naked shorts and other creative investments to know if this is a big deal.

Could i get a layman description of Paulsons scheme?

Paulson's Cover Slips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 07:25 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
You're about to join Tightwad's round table of dark knights

Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Well, the "reality quotient" of the source linked to is about equal to the sort of check-out stand newspapers with alien babies on the cover...

The idea that the Sec of the Treasury would decide that the reason to essentially have the markets force a liquidation of Fannie & Freddie would be enrich investors is laughable. The "crisis of liquidity" that was REAL and effected a TREMENDOUS number of normal businesses was a legitimate reason to allow the financial markets to understand that the firms that were speculating about the US Treasury stepping in to "backstop" Fannie and Freddie explains any "meetings".

The fact is the you can use any set of coincidence after the fact to paint actual events in either a sinister or legitimate light. There are OFTEN mistakes made and things done in the fog of a growing crisis that probably would have been handled differently IF things were moving at a different pace, but honestly anyone with a wit of understanding of just how "non-investment grade" the underwriting standards of mortgages backed by Fannie and Freddie had become certainly was out of those stocks LONG BEFORE the fan started blowing doo-doo...

I suspect the author of the article was one of the of the many dodo birds that kept saying as the they bought declining shares "Uncle Sam will save us" and when that did not happen and their speculative positions got wiped out they turned to telling of tale of woe that in their twisted minds would force SOMEONE to undo the losses they suffered.

Investors are not the same as speculators. One group looks at a balance sheet and sees doom and harsh realities while the other looks at some situation that saner people see as hopeless and say to themselves "but things could turn around, a white knight could ride in, the appeals to financiers in far away places will work, the dog ate my homework, there could be a fire, a MIRACLE could happen...".

Not worth the bits that were transported...

Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You're about to join Tightwad's round table of dark knights
Okay, but what does it mean?

Is this true or not? I don't short, so did this happen?

Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Okay, but what does it mean?

Is this true or not? I don't short, so did this happen?
We should all be thankful to Paulson, mod.

The man had the most difficult job ever known to human history since the job of the commander of the Normandy invasion force against Hitler.

And it's impossible to even fathom that it was all orchestrated for ulterior GS motivations and such.

It all fell like a pack of cards. Hank and Timmy did all kinds of midnight oil job, patched up Tom, Dick and Harry and prevented financial armageddon that certainly was going to happen.

Stuff like this always floats around from the same people who see UFO's every week. I go out all the time, and I don't see any.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Those were tense days. I remember watching it from the BAC tower

Especially the first vote which was trashed by Congress, and the DOW dropped 1000.

During the second vote, I was tensely watching tv while eating nacho lunch in salsaritas in downtown Charlotte, right underneath BAC group of towers. And I remember at that time, people around me, even many of them employees of BAC, Wachovia, BB&T and GMAC..... they all were out there, and not even one was aware of the gravity of the events happening in wall street and that in 2 or 3 days a ton of them were gonna get canned out of work.

That's how oblivious corporate America was, becoz nobody knew the depth and the consequence of the events, until the axe came down.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 PM

The simplest version of the nonsense is the Paulson "telegraphed" to the short sellers that Fannie and Freddie should come tumbling down. Believe me the folks that worked at your average barbershop in Omaha knew that, so I doubt that the guys sitting atop GS or hedge funds needed Paulson to sound some dog whistle to alert people to this fact.

Even if Paulson had the TIME to give the details on what Treasury was and was not prepared to do to shore up Fannie & Freddie the thought the he would be giving trading tips to people that likely had strategies on a whole variety of scenarios is so far fetched as to be a fairy tale...

Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Okay, Thanks for your inputs.

I don't know how the big boys play, but sounds like they are honorable business folk, looking after the American people.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 PM

I don't know that ALL the "big boys" are particularly honorable (Corzine was at GS before the Senate / Govenor of NJ/ MF Global) and lots of other folks have let the power go to their head over the years, but MOST folks that work in financial firms do have a pretty good understanding of who will get hurt if should stake out positions against various firms / institutions. All but the handful of pathological investment mavens FAR prefer an orderly and gradual decline in value / operation for institutions that lots of people depend on. The sort of crises that surrounded the failure around the crash 2008 destroyed much wealth that took decades to amass and brought the scrutiny of regulators upon firms that still are handicapped by too many busy bodies meddling in the bureaucratic mess of underwriting. Those are choices any sane investor would wish to get a " do over" on...

Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
I don't know how the big boys play, but sounds like they are honorable business folk, looking after the American people.
LOL - love your humor. And I have pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, if you're willing to buy the map to get there.

The big players are always out to corner money. That will never change.

To the extent there was short-selling and mark-to-market exacerbated the crises in 2008/09, the article is true. There was lots of railing by many that mark-to-market artificially lowered values and created panic selling at the time.

I don't doubt for one minute the insiders knew the story and profited from it. Short sellers were making a killing in that crash. I also don't think Paulson operated in a vacuum. While, imo, he did not deliberately bring down AIG, Lehman, Fannie/Freddie, he sure didn't keep the problems a secret either.

That underlying crisis was real and very, very scary. If you were in the right place at the right time and had the right information and enough capital/credit to play with, you are exceedingly rich today. More than a few billionaires were created during those heady/horrifying days - for which the most vulnerable among us have paid and are still paying the biggest price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing