Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:09 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

gold broke new highs during the 2008-2009 debacle while most commodities fell by 50%.. im not so sure on gold for deflation, but long term treasuries would be my vehicle of choice for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Where's Ariadne when you need her??

She holds a load of gold, I think.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
People got scared and bought gold. The smart money is selling it off. Just a hunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
I would rather see you take your profits AC. Right now the market is in bearish territory and at a standstill.

Start thinking when to take profit or losses. Gold has been high for the longest, I would imagine it has to come down eventually.

You can always buy back once you have a new strategy.

just my two cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Where's Ariadne when you need her??

She holds a load of gold, I think.
Here I am. The gold I have is stuff I've owned for decades and is sort of my evacuation fund. I am not a trader by nature.

Tend to agree with the above - and your earlier post on leaving it in the hands of your father's broker is a wise course.

Clearly, gold is trending down for now. The traders on CNBC have been lightening their positions in gold for a while. I heard one guy, not one of the regulars on CNBC whom I don't recognize, say he thought gold was going to 1250. Another floor trader said we were in a short-term decline and he thought it would turn into a "rip" on the upside in January or thereabouts. Can't find the video. Seems to me the call to 1,250 is bit OTT.

Let your father's broker make the call. You still have a profit/break even if you sell now, as I recall. jm2c

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-16-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
The question I always ask... Would you sell a loaf of bread for a flake of gold? Sometimes, common sense has to be accounted for. I think the prices are off. Then again, my common sense thinking doesn't always hold weight in these strange times

Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
when things get that bad bartering is the currancy of choice .

Old 12-19-2011, 06:36 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Remember, gold went down with everything else during the last recession. The kicker is, it went down less then everything else.
I would add that it also recovered in October - almost a full five months earlier than the stock market bottomed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Some are bring up the possibility of a deflationary recession. ... How
can you have deflation when the Fed just prints money rampantly?
I agree with you.

Even if they decided to stop printing money and start paying off the debt,
once the "pain" started, they would "turn the presses back on again.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Why is gold down? Easy. Demand for dollars due to the inherent risks of increasing debt costs and/or sovereign default in Europe. Further, the Fed just unloaded a bunch of dollars off our market and gave it to Europe in a cash swap because credit is getting tight in the Euro-zone. The Fed didn't have to print a wad of money either, we had enough sitting around.

At the end of the day, gold is just another commodity. Ergo, it will have ups, and it will have downs. And it's been up for a VERY, VERY long time. IMHO, it's due for a MAJOR correction.

Of course that's just my crystal ball, and if there's anything I've learned, is that my crystal ball is no better than the next guy's, so invest or divest in it at your own risk. Take care.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when things get that bad bartering is the currancy of choice .
Mathjak, it's best during times like that to rely on the world's oldest professions for currency: Prostitution and Pimpin'. Things don't seem so bad anymore when I know that my wife and I will always find a way to make ends meet!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
At the end of the day, gold is just another commodity.
Ergo, it will have ups, and it will have downs.
You also just described currencies.

To paraphrase;
At the end of the day, gold is just another currency.
Ergo, it will have ups, and it will have downs.

It is a commodity, but not just another commodity.

The new supply of oil every year is essentially used up and gone forever.
The new supply of copper is used and can be recovered years later, but
copper deteriorates and, like oil, is used up.

The gold "supply" has almost nothing to do with new "supply" from mines and recycling.
The gold "supply" is almost all the gold that has ever been mined since the beginning of time.

Gold mines supply around 80 M ounces a year or so, but the supply
that could possibly show up at any given time is around 5 B ounces.

If you assume that gold is money, one can say that the true value should be
what it would take to back all currencies of all nations for all their transactions.
That number divided by the available ounces would do it.

For gold to be used to back money, it would have be "priced" ( in dollar terms ) in the tens of
thousands of dollars per ounce. Just this fact alone might prevent it from ever happening.

If you assume that gold is not money and never will be then it is essentially worthless.

Note that the Chinese, Indians, Mexicans, Koreans, and many other nations are actively "buying"
or exchanging gold for their fiat money reserves such as dollars and euro. -- just a note.
Such activity is called putting your money where your mouth is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
... it's been up for a VERY, VERY long time. IMHO, it's due for a MAJOR correction.
Everything corrects. Gold topped out recently on Aug 22. Is that the correction ( to where it is now )?

Back when Apple went past $200/share you could have said the same thing.
What was the true value of a share of Apple?

If the true "value" of gold is $10k/ounce then if/when it attains $20k/ounce
( or more or less ), then it would probably correct to $5k and so on.

OTOH, Aug 22 might have been the all time high for gold for the next ten years.
Note that the ultimate price for a dollar is going to be zero some day.
In mathmatics, when you divide by zero, you get infinity.

Gold's dollar "price" will always go up over time. What you can buy with those dollars will go down.
Rememer that the last real big blowoff in price was $850 in 1980. That's about $2,400 in today's dollars.
The dollar is a depreciating asset. I used to be able to go in and buy an ounce of Au for a $500 bill. No more.

Last edited by mortimer; 12-20-2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
I'm sitting on this moronic gold investors conference call hosted in Mumbai. Telling me stuff I already know.

Lot of gold bugs are holding and not selling. Good sign there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing