Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
AMZN earnings are next week and the stock appears very ripe to pop up or down sharply. I would bet up but I'm avoiding it. F earnings are tomorrow.
I'm looking at Feb 14.00 calls for Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Thanks! I' ll research them.

Netflix's earnings were great! They added 600,000 new accounts after that horrible last quarter and their CEO's attempt to make more money by the expense of their subscribers! Well, Netflix might have a nice run. It was up 15% premarket.

APPL and Netflix are back in the game, at least this quarter. APPL has further to run in the long term, Netflix in the short term.

Will Siri be on the iPad 3? I am still trying to get use to it but it doesn't understand me all the time or it's unavailable. I think it will get better because Apple always provide good updates.
Here's an embarrassing admission

My Jan 3.00 calls on SIRI expired worthless. And I thought they would be on the iPad when I got them in the middle of last year.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:37 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm looking at Feb 14.00 calls for Ford.
I got 100 of them. Keeping my fingers crossed for Ford to beat expectations and pop up to like 13.50. Based on what I'm feeling and seeing today, I'm guessing they meet expectations somewhere around .25 to .29 cents a share and the stock will either stagnate or go down a few percent. Long term, over the next few months they're in line to hit 14 or 15 a share easily, provided the market doesn't take a dump...which feels a little overdue.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I got 100 of them. Keeping my fingers crossed for Ford to beat expectations and pop up to like 13.50. Based on what I'm feeling and seeing today, I'm guessing they meet expectations somewhere around .25 to .29 cents a share and the stock will either stagnate or go down a few percent. Long term, over the next few months they're in line to hit 14 or 15 a share easily, provided the market doesn't take a dump...which feels a little overdue.
Now Feb 13.00 has come down considerably. I think I will buy this and Feb 12.00 calls as well. One month's cushion might see some upside. What do you think?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Now Feb 13.00 has come down considerably. I think I will buy this and Feb 12.00 calls as well. One month's cushion might see some upside. What do you think?
I don't know right now. Ford's earnings miss today snapped their 2 or 3 week bull charge. It's possible the stock starts going up again or trends down. I haven't ever sat in a company through earnings and watched exactly what happens. I believe most of the bad stuff was absorbed today because the stock surged pretty quickly from the 11.90 area straight to 12.20. So a 4% loss today isn't huge but I'm uncertain what will happen now.

I am holding a ton of shares and some calls but may look to exit the shares position if the stock gets back up to 12.50 again soon. The calls I'll wait at least a week to see what happens as selling them is hardly worth it.

I'm also now holding BAC puts/calls and AA puts/calls. All of them are a couple points out of the money and have a January 2013 expiration, as I believe each of these positions will be profitable this year from just glancing at their charts.

We seem overdue for a downward correction in the market, so that should pull those stocks down as well (and maybe F too), which will allow me to dump my puts then hope that the next forward surge is enough for BAC to hit 10.00 and AA to hit 12.00 or so. That's my gamble anyhow!

And once I sell Ford I don't know what I'll do. Maybe wait for Ford or GE to double bottom with a downward correction before getting back in. Probably play that game I like where I sell puts rather than buy stock. I hit it pretty solid with Ford and GE multiple times. I'm out of my dividend stock right now (CLMT), which has been tearing the **** out of it. It's up huge the last month or so.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Starbucks is looking very attractive right now. It have a little pullback Friday so I am thinking about taking the jump. Coffee prices seem to be stable and moving lower which can only be good for them. Can anyone give me their take on SBUX?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Sbux is at their 52 week high with the market seemingly overdue for a correction. They've been in an uptrend since early October, which also indicates a bigger downside possibility. The volume is massively increasing with the price not moving anywhere. To me, this indicates a red flag with a high probability of the stock taking a dump. My opinion is to avoid it or by puts. If you own the stock maybe sell covered calls. Obviously I could be wrong but from just glancing I'm seeing more reasons to not get in right now. I'd wait for a bigger pullback if you really want the stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing