Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,199,952 times

Advertisements

My retirement is invested aggressively and I had a wild ride last year--I resisted any temptation to tinker with it. Had a 15% or so up and then followed by a 20% or so down, just to finish in black for the year somewhere in the neighborhood of -0.7%. Some 35% swing!

Fast forward 2012, I am up some 13% for YTD. I wonder if we are going to see the same movie this year too . I know nobody know what's going to happen in the coming months but just wondering ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
My retirement is invested aggressively and I had a wild ride last year--I resisted any temptation to tinker with it. Had a 15% or so up and then followed by a 20% or so down, just to finish in black for the year somewhere in the neighborhood of -0.7%. Some 35% swing!

Fast forward 2012, I am up some 13% for YTD. I wonder if we are going to see the same movie this year too . I know nobody know what's going to happen in the coming months but just wondering ...
What are your allocations? My 401k is 80% stocks, 15% bonds, and 5% cash. It is +8% YTD. Just curious. . .

Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
I guess we can have another wild ride.....I mean nobody knows exactly what will happen and if they say they do, they're lying.

I am in the accumulation stage so I want to buy shares that are lower.

All you can do is stay the course, and don't take on more risk that you have the willingness, need, or ability to take on.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I guess we can have another wild ride.....I mean nobody knows exactly what will happen and if they say they do, they're lying.

All you can do is stay the course, and don't take on more risk that you have the willingness, need, or ability to take on.
I use my ROI as a risk metric and to determine the cost of any value I may be creating by actively managing** my portfolio. For instance, if my ROI is too high relative to my benchmark then I'm carrying too much risk. If it's too low then I'm adding negative value to my portfolio.

The objective is to outperform the benchmark by a margin that compensates me to the extent that it is an economical use of my time. No more, no less.

**I use the term "actively managing" very loosely. Generally, most of my time is spent monitoring allocations, listening to conference calls and reading 10k's, and occasionally adjusting the level of risk I'm willing to take.

Last edited by ML North; 02-14-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Stay the course is key, I know but sometime you can't help but second guess.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
What are your allocations? My 401k is 80% stocks, 15% bonds, and 5% cash. It is +8% YTD. Just curious. . .
I have only 5% bond and no cash allocation.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I use my ROI as a risk metric and to determine the cost of any value I may be creating by actively managing** my portfolio. For instance, if my ROI is too high relative to my benchmark then I'm carrying too much risk. If it's too low then I'm adding negative value to my portfolio.

The objective is to outperform the benchmark by a margin that compensates me to the extent that it is an economical use of my time. No more, no less.

**I use the term "actively managing" very loosely. Generally, most of my time is spent monitoring allocations, listening to conference calls and reading 10k's, and occasionally adjusting the level of risk I'm willing to take.
What do you mean adding "negative value"?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
What do you mean adding "negative value"?
Adding negative value to a portfolio would occur when one spends time managing a portfolio but under-performs relative to a benchmark.

For instance, if I traded exclusively in blue chips, but under-performed the DJIA; I would consider that to be a situation of adding "negative value."

Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 PM

362 posts, read 817,462 times
If you're not comfortable with the seeming teetering point that the market is at, re-allocate to more risk-averse fund options in your 401k (eg. low yield MM accounts).

All depends on your time-frame and risk tolerance; from your current allocations, I'm guessing you're on the younger side...

I killed it last year by not staying the course.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
The next time the sheep run for the exit I intend to push about 100k into equities. Just waiting for the (inevitable) over-reaction to the next correction.

Otherwise, I'm a long-term stay the course type guy since I'm still 15+ from retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing