U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:52 PM

400 posts, read 422,200 times
I hear you, it's very tempting. $7K in three days. Better then Vegas but if things went south, you would have $13K in your account now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 13,618,116 times
I hate this kind of mentality. You will lose money and rightly so. Just remember - wall street always makes money and covers losses using new money. I have seen a million imbeciles who thought they could put money and quickly get out with a profit.

You will do no research. No effort whatsoever.

You need some magical tickers that will inflate 30% by some merry go round logic. But instead, you will pump 20K and 48 hours later Greek-Spanish government bond yields will go through the roof. In the chaos, DOW will drop 300 and you will be scared to sell with a loss.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 03-16-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,321,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Yes, I know you can lose a lot. However, I have a high tolerance for risk and spent years daytrading and did quite well.
If you spent years daytrading and did quite well, then what are you doing asking this question on this forum? It would seem to me that should already know the answers to your question.
Get back to daytrading, and please do keep us posted on how you're doing.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know you can lose a lot. However, I have a high tolerance for risk and spent years daytrading and did quite well.
A former daytrader will not ask such questions in the first place.

Once a daytrader always a daytrader.

You will know how to construct a spread with Apple calls and puts and will have made money in the 10 hours this thread was open.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,224,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
I hate this kind of mentality. You will lose money and rightly so. Just remember - wall street always makes money and covers losses using new money. I have seen a million imbeciles who thought they could put money and quickly get out with a profit.

You will do no research. No effort whatsoever.

You need some magical tickers that will inflate 30% by some merry go round logic. But instead, you will pump 20K and 48 hours later Greek-Spanish government bond yields will go through the roof. In the chaos, DOW will drop 300 and you will be scared to sell with a loss.
I understand all the arguments against this. And I agree with them. But I'm not trying to get rich quick.

I have plenty in long term products that are invested at low to moderate risk, so I'm okay.

I can afford to leave the 20K in for a long time, if there's a downturn. I don't need this money right now. I was just flirting with the idea of being more aggressive with it to see if I could ride on the coattails of this current rally and then put the profit into a less risky investment in a few months. Just wanted to boost my earnings a bit.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
You will know how to construct a spread with Apple calls and puts and will have made money in the 10 hours this thread was open.
I don't have the time for that anymore. In those days I was a housewife and had plenty of time to sit in front of my computer all day doing research and working out strategies. Now I have a full-time job.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 PM

18,715 posts, read 6,889,798 times
Energy.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I understand all the arguments against this. And I agree with them. But I'm not trying to get rich quick.

I have plenty in long term products that are invested at low to moderate risk, so I'm okay.

I can afford to leave the 20K in for a long time, if there's a downturn. I don't need this money right now. I was just flirting with the idea of being more aggressive with it to see if I could ride on the coattails of this current rally and then put the profit into a less risky investment in a few months. Just wanted to boost my earnings a bit.
You're talking aggressive now?

Would you care if the 20K is wiped out in seconds? Actually, given my current investment spreads, I won't care if 20K is gone in a heartbeat. I'm currently long and short on a handful of pairs.

I won't give you tickers, coz I don't want to be sued.

Look at the rare earth sector for a very aggressive investment sector. Industry is heading rock bottom and the US and EU are waging a secret war on Chinese monopoly. They moved the WTO a couple days ago and it's heating up. In all these rock bottom days I have accumulated north of 10K shares on every ticker, though I haven't bought any stock in the last month, and the REE sector is still trending down.

Otherwise, throw it on Apple and ride the iPad sentiment.

But please, don't ask for investment advice. You shouldn't even take mine.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 PM

I forgot crude futures. Right now, with Eurozone stabilizing in the view of American elections, crude futures are a sure winning bet.

Don't forget to hedge.

But nobody is short on oil these days. The reaction is unanimous for obvious reasons. This article provides some safety quotient. You may get away with a profit. Don't waste time. Again, you should not take my advice at face value.

Shorting crude oil will be unwise: Barclays Capital | www.commodityonline.com | 3

Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Otherwise, throw it on Apple and ride the iPad sentiment.
But please, don't ask for investment advice. You shouldn't even take mine.
Croc,
Why all the hostility? I thought this was a discussion? I haven't even done anything yet. I'm just thinking about it... Geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing