U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,187,026 times
Default What would you invest in for good return in the short term?

If you had 20K to invest in the short term (3-6mos), what stocks would you buy for a nice return?

I know Apple is fantastic, but since it's $585/share, do you think this would be a good investment?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 PM

1,835 posts, read 2,694,316 times
Why is Apple fantastic? What is a nice return? I would invest $20 in a book about investing, it might save you from losing 20 grand.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 AM

28,344 posts, read 24,191,337 times
stocks are a long term investment unless you drop the word investment and change it to speculation.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Status: "Union County Booster Club - Treasurer" (set 28 days ago)

8,303 posts, read 9,801,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
If you had 20K to invest in the short term (3-6mos), what stocks would you buy for a nice return?

I know Apple is fantastic, but since it's $585/share, do you think this would be a good investment?
Marie, Unfortunately there is no free lunch. The only GUARANTEED options have piddly interest rates.

If you are speculating IN THE SHORT TERM in equities, you'd be better off putting 20K on black on the roulette wheel in Vegas. At least that way you'd have some fun gambling w/your money.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Why is Apple fantastic?
It's fantastic because it's been rallying nicely. It's been going up pretty much steadily. Apple is a top-notch brand and has fantastic products, financials, and management. I (sort of) expect the rally to continue, barring a major cataclysm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
stocks are a long term investment unless you drop the word investment and change it to speculation.
I guess I'm spoiled because I've had some really good luck in the past with Apple. I bought a lot of shares at $99 and sold them six months later for $199. Looking at the run up since last August, it seems like a similar situation again.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM

180 posts, read 35,388 times
Quote:

I'm a huge AAPL stock fan. I've been buying shares and options since it hit $200. Long term, AAPL will go to $700 and eventually $1000. However, short term I'm not sure because of it's recent rally. A correction seems likely soon. I think earnings will be great, but not impressive because a lot of people didn't buy the iPad 2 this quarter because they've been waiting for the iPad 3. This is just my assumption. Regardless, AAPL is the safest investment in my opinion right now, but you need to hold it for at least a year not 3-6 months.

Anything less than a year involves some form of luck. In that case, you are better off playing earnings season. Choose a few stocks you think will beat or miss earnings. Buy or short them the day before they announce and sell or cover them the day they announce.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Status: "Union County Booster Club - Treasurer" (set 28 days ago)

8,303 posts, read 9,801,982 times
Apple on 10/22 was $422 a share

on 11/25 it was 363 a share.

Just because you had "luck" speculating doesn't mean you'll have the same luck again.

Hate to be harsh again, but all you are doing is gambling w/what you are trying to achieve.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ View Post
Long term, AAPL will go to $700 and eventually $1000.
How long do you think that might take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ View Post
Choose a few stocks you think will beat or miss earnings. Buy or short them the day before they announce and sell or cover them the day they announce.
That's the thing...which ones? I was thinking XOM, OVTI, LULU, but not sure. I guess you can't really lose with your strategy. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:09 PM

180 posts, read 35,388 times
Quote:
How long do you think that might take?

That's the thing...which ones? I was thinking XOM, OVTI, LULU, but not sure. I guess you can't really lose with your strategy. Thanks.
1. Within 12 months all I know is AAPL will be higher than $585. I don't know how much higher though. It depends on what products they release, how their growth in China progresses, the timing of their product releases etc.

2. You can lose a lot of money playing earnings because there is still luck involved. Consider it as educated gambling. A stock can have a good quarter and beat estimates, but investors might have been expecting a higher beat, thus sending the stock down. These kinds of trades work for people who are willing to take the risk to make a quick gain. If you need your $20k, playing earnings is not a good idea.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Just because you had "luck" speculating doesn't mean you'll have the same luck again.

Hate to be harsh again, but all you are doing is gambling w/what you are trying to achieve.
At what point does "speculating" cross over into seizing a good opportunity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing