Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sigh. The large majority of kids don't get those kinds of scholarship offers. Otherwise, colleges couldn't remain in business.
Clemson University | Paying for School | Best College | US News

Furman University | Paying for School | Best College | US News

i'm just saying... if you compare Furman to Clemson (a state school), the average indebtedness per graduate is $26k to $22k. Not a big difference.

At Clemson, it's really difficult to get a scholarship; at Furman, it's pretty typical for students to have a scholarship. I don't know where that scholarship money comes from, exactly, just that the likelihood of getting a large scholarship is not an apples-to-apples comparison between the two schools.

I saw this firsthand with my graduating class (in South Carolina), where mediocre applicants were getting $25,000/year scholarships from private schools like Furman, Wofford, Converse, Columbia College, etc, accepted (but no scholarships) from Carolina and Clemson, and getting flat-out rejected from UNC or Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:10 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Exactly. Personally, I have a hard time feeling sorry for a person owing $170,000 for a sociology degree. That's just utter stupidity. Where was this person's parents?
Perhaps they speculated the greatness of the school will define her paygrade, which is completely impossible in today's world. Either way, very terrible decision. I'd shift the blame to the guidance counselor who sold this package to this student.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Perhaps they speculated the greatness of the school will define her paygrade, which is completely impossible in today's world. Either way, very terrible decision. I'd shift the blame to the guidance counselor who sold this package to this student.
Just like the housing bubble where you had multiple entities contributing to the collapse, guidance counselors (who didn't make parents/students aware of the risk) also deserve blame. Ultimately its buyer beware and if you don't do your "homework" then shame on you.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,520 times
people spending 100k on worthless degrees and taking loans to do it have nobody to blame but themselves
go to a cheap state school, get a degree in something that actually matters not some liberal arts bs and work and pay it off while in school

Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
people spending 100k on worthless degrees and taking loans to do it have nobody to blame but themselves
That doesn't mean that it isn't another bubble and that it isn't going to burst.

Oh well, it's guaranteed by the government and will just be absorbed into the current "official" national debt.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM

77 posts, read 145,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
go to a cheap state school, get a degree in something that actually matters not some liberal arts bs and work and pay it off while in school

You're right, most of these kids are 18-22. They have no clue what they're doing. (How do I know this? I am a college student in this bracket) They don't teach you this stuff in high school. (How to manage debt) -- do you blame them?

I think the Public Education system should teach students about economics and managing FINANCES in high school. At the very least. INTEGRATING finance into math classes. (Personal Budget Balancing and so on) - teach kids how to write resumes, and speak properly.
Because literally, that I think THAT is more important than learning particles of atoms or differential equations.
They teach students everything, but financial management in high school. It hardly prepares you for "Real life"

Btw. Doing Ivy League Undergrad. Unless you have a rich mommy & daddy is very risky to put yourself into 200k in debt. Do state school undergrad and simply do Ivy Graduate. Graduate school is usually a lot more determining for "professional" success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing