Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,980,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Not that I think one should/shouldnt invest in FB stock, but this is a big part of the reason why I am not.

The clueless small investor herd will follow this and institutional investors will actually make the money.

Good luck

Buffett and Munger won't buy Facebook stock - May. 6, 2012

They won't buy because they don't understand it. Doesn't mean someone else shouldn't. They're old and openly admit to not understanding the tech world, they don't buy any tech stocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,976,196 times
No way no how.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,794,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
They won't buy because they don't understand it. Doesn't mean someone else shouldn't. They're old and openly admit to not understanding the tech world, they don't buy any tech stocks.
They bought Intel in Nov 2011.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:32 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,794,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Facebook is overrated and over hyped.
I agree. I also think that the privacy issues will mushroom for them and more regulation will be enacted over time, which will kill the stock prices in the long run. A very risky bet unless you are in on the IPO and sell right after it shoots up.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,980,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
They bought Intel in Nov 2011.
Let me clarify then; they don't buy new tech.

Believe they have also bought IBM? Referencing aapl, goog, msft, the other plethora of smaller, new ones.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 AM

21,676 posts, read 24,828,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Let me clarify then; they don't buy new tech.

Believe they have also bought IBM? Referencing aapl, goog, msft, the other plethora of smaller, new ones.
Better to skip on a few new tech speculations and avoid a News Corp moment. Buy for $580, sell for $35. Or that whole AOL Time Warner thing.

I wouldn't touch Facebook. The P/E ratios they're looking at are beyond high, and being an old foggy I just don't see how Facebook is going to increase its revenues by that much. Google is growing revenue faster than Facebook, and most indications seem to be that Facebook is beginning to slow down its growth. So why does Facebook have a P/E ratio of around 100? Five times that of Google? No. Pass.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-10-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 AM

14,394 posts, read 20,470,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

Expected price range: $28.00 to $35.00

If the demand is there is could price higher than $35.
Facebook reports that it is over subscribed, so the offering price may be at the high end of the range, or higher.
And less people will get any. I've asked for 200, and the last few where I've asked for 200, I only got 100. So, I do not expect to get any.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM

442 posts, read 739,016 times
Trading begins may 18th. There are a limited number of shares being offered to the retail investor (12% of overall company). This will inherently drive up demand in the retail sector because of the supply being offered. I agree that consumer are fickle, and as much as I hate to follow the crowd I have to make an exception this time around, the subscriber base is just off the charts. The downside is that it will take some time to monetize that base. The subscribers are growing faster than the revenue. It's not a bad thing, but if your looking at price to earnings ratio your patience will run out with this company if it hasn't already. I'm more afraid of not doing anything than sitting on the sidelines. Put me down for 200 shares and let Zuck do what he does best...Innovate.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,799,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Not investing in it.

I think the Google Brats are likely to finally come up with a Facebook Alternative that's genius and make FB a "has been" very quickly once they launch the right idea.
I think Google is becoming the next Microsoft or Yahoo.

FB is hot now, but I think they've peaked. The older generations are joining, but the younger generation is becoming less active on it. Not to mention the UXD experience is rather terrible, and it's a bit arrogant.

Apple and Amazon, IMO, are the big players moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Anyone know why Zuck is selling on the day of trading 30,000,000 of his own shares if he believes in the company, is it to raise money and pay taxes?
I believe it's a tax move on his equity. Is their a lock-in period for investors?

Last edited by Wolfpacker; 05-11-2012 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 AM

362 posts, read 815,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Better to skip on a few new tech speculations and avoid a News Corp moment. Buy for $580, sell for $35. Or that whole AOL Time Warner thing.

I wouldn't touch Facebook. The P/E ratios they're looking at are beyond high, and being an old foggy I just don't see how Facebook is going to increase its revenues by that much. Google is growing revenue faster than Facebook, and most indications seem to be that Facebook is beginning to slow down its growth. So why does Facebook have a P/E ratio of around 100? Five times that of Google? No. Pass.
If you think a P/E ratio of 100 is high... check out LinkedIn's (LNKD) absurdity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing