Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM

362 posts, read 817,819 times

Advertisements

I live debt free, and invest, but I'm starting to feel like the fool after repeatedly footing the bill for everyone running up and away from their debt obligations...

I'm tempted to join the party, max out a bunch of credit cards and walk away from them... let you guys cover the cost ;p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
I never met an older wealthy person who thought it was a good idea to not pay off debt...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Build a little emergency fund nest egg first, if you don't have it, then pay off your debts, then invest.

I've made some fantastic investments in my lifetime -- huge payoffs. They were so like clockwork that I thought I could always do it. I made investments rather than pay off debts. Big mistake when the investments went south.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Pay off debts first.

You have no guarantee that you will make money with your investments. Once you are debt free, you will be in a better position to take chances with your money.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I faced this same dilemma in the past. I personally opted to pay off my debts before investing. I had a small credit card balance at 11%, my husband had some student loans at around 4%, and we had a car payment at around 8%. So we paid off the credit card first, then the car, then the student loan. We could have opted to hold off on the student loan, at that low interest rate, but by that time, the balance was so low, we just wrote a check and paid it off.

Personally, 5% or under $2000 was my breakpoint. If a loan was costing more than 5%, or if the balance was under $2000, it got paid off, highest interest first. If it is under 5% and over $2000, it would have been much lower priority. The exception being my house. My interest rate is 5.75% (and yes, I tried to refi, and the final numbers didn't make sense to do so, so I'm just leaving it there). So it is over 5%, but it didn't get priority over the student loans, because it would take so long to pay off. I still will be paying it off early, but maxing investments and having an adequate emergency fund takes priority over that.

So anyway, we paid off the last of our non-mortgage debts a few years ago, and started investing at that time. I got a much later start than some (about age 31). But everyone I talk to complains about how much of their portfolio they lost, and I haven't really lost any. I haven't gained any yet either, but I'm holding steady at about a 0% net gain/loss. And in the meantime, I paid off some debt, which saved on interest paid out. I think I came out far ahead of where I would have been paying interest and losing out on the value of my investments. Instead of a lose/lose, I came out with a win/wash.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Between my company and me, 11% of my salary goes into my 401k (maxed out on what they match).

But besides that, how do you know whether to pay off bills or invest the money?

I got a $6,400 balance on a car loan and owe $23,000 in student loans. both at 5-7% interest rates.

Should I be using my excess funds to pay off my loans or should I invest it?

The key is risk adjusted basis. 5-7% return on zero risk is a great investment in this environment. Right now junk bonds are in that range and they are certainly not even close on a risk adjusted basis. The only down side is they are not as liquid for emergences or opportunities so I would not put all your low risk surplus there but certainly should be part of it.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:32 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I never met an older wealthy person who thought it was a good idea to not pay off debt...
I have. And the strategy could make sense. If you can mortgage your home for 3.25% over 30 years and make twice that amount in bonds it makes sense.

That being said, I paid off all my debt back in 2009 when interest rates on CDs and MMFs plumeted. I would only compare paying off debt to an investment with a guaranteed return. As such, I would pay off the 5-7% debt first.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
That being said, I paid off all my debt back in 2009 when interest rates on CDs and MMFs plumeted. I would only compare paying off debt to an investment with a guaranteed return. As such, I would pay off the 5-7% debt first.
This brings up a great point. I never understood how some people look at the interest rate on debt as an opportunity. Most debts are a sunk cost. Better to get them paid off, regardless of the low interest rate they may have. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing