U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:08 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,137,135 times
Fluff stuff on both sides if you ask me. Either way, Zucks gets a big payout, banks get their fees and shares, and im left with beans.

As for Zucks CEO saavy-ness, i'm hoping he takes wall street just a tad more seriously than he seems to project. Its a question of whether wall st needs facebook or vice versa. He can keep this up so long the company keeps growing, and stock price increases. The moment he runs into headwinds then we can see what CEO material he's made of. We can all dream that he will turn up like Jobs, but he could also turn up like Jerry Yang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM

24,792 posts, read 26,180,157 times
First of all, it's hard to carp about Zuckerberg based on what he's done. HOWEVER I think at this point Facebook is a sucker's bet. It is the equivalent of the Dutch Tulip Craze.

The problem is that I just don't know how many more subscribers he can squeeze out. He's almost reached saturation levels as it is, so further gains may only be incremental.

If he's counting on advertising providing his revenue stream, I'm not sure that's going to be very convincing either. GM just cancelled a $300,000,000 buy because they have found FB to be an ineffective medium. Expect others to follow suit.

I know it's easy to Monday morning quarterback the thing, but the time to have launched an IPO was two years ago, when he had enormous growth ahead of him.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:37 PM

8,315 posts, read 10,070,887 times
Zuckerberg is quite the nurd but a wealthy nurd.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,078,938 times
Zuckerberg is enough of a CEO to take his billions to the bank. Which CEO role models should he look up to in the CEO corrupt organizations? Maybe the big banks like JPM and BAC that steal billions from shareholders or CEO that misrepresent themselves like YAHOO and HP? Compare to those CEO's he is doing a excellent job.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 PM

6,271 posts, read 4,819,982 times
At least his heart is still in his company, he still thinks of it as his child vs these other idiot CEOs that cost their company billions of dollars, but still receive 20+ million pay packages.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:23 AM

24,792 posts, read 26,180,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
At least his heart is still in his company, he still thinks of it as his child vs these other idiot CEOs that cost their company billions of dollars, but still receive 20+ million pay packages.
This is true. But I think he's going to have to really rethink his biz moving forward, because the current business model will run out of road IMHO.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:58 AM

4,152 posts, read 4,283,207 times
Now that Facebook has gone public, the CEO's job has changed radically. Previously, he only had to please himself, and now he has to please investors.

I think Facebook is a bad bet as an investment unless the company significantly expands the scope of what it does. If it continues to be just a way to share pictures, or ramble on narcissistically, I think it's pretty much peaked, and the stock price can't be justified. If it goes the path of Apple and expands its scope, then it could be a very good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing