U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 AM

4,709 posts, read 2,550,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i have a german index ETF + two irish food companies + a swiss luxury goods maker + spanish bank , germany is doing well , the irish economy is on the floor but 80 % of food produced in ireland is exported , agriculture is a sector which is expected to grow going forward so il stick with glanbia and kerry , china is buying a huge chunk of luxury goods and besides , ive only a small amount of stock here

ive lost too much on banco santander to bail and besides , they pay a bumper dividend , 40% of their business in south america so they should survive
im also very tempted to buy ( SI) siemens , its at a year low and is a tremendous german company with a solid dividend , germany is doing well thought the european crisis is cramping its stockmarket
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM

6,134 posts, read 4,261,221 times
Quote:
im also very tempted to buy ( SI) siemens , its at a year low and is a tremendous german company with a solid dividend , germany is doing well thought the european crisis is cramping its stockmarket
The problem is the average investor is irrational and misinformed, so if Europe has bad news it doesn't matter if that specific European company does business mostly internationally, it will still tank with Europe.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:26 PM

some say that the best strategy for amateurs who are prepared to buy and hold is to simply buy an ETF linked to the S+P , DJI , NASDAQ, plus etf,s that track the likes of emerging markets in general

i have to admit , im not really an expert when it comes to studying key statistics , HPQ was on the dow industrial for many a year but its been a real loser for quite a while now and the transition away from PC,s doesnt bode well for it

by simply buying a tracker , are you playing it safe while at the same time , keeping in tandem with developing and changing market movers and shakers , whats seen as a bluechip today may not be in ten years

Old 06-05-2012, 02:32 PM

8,234 posts, read 9,541,392 times
Quote:
some say that the best strategy for amateurs who are prepared to buy and hold is to simply buy an ETF linked to the S+P , DJI , NASDAQ, plus etf,s that track the likes of emerging markets in general

:
Its funny that people are called "amateurs" for investing in index funds, however if those people are amateurs, what do you call the stock pickers and active traders who they (amateurs)overwhelmingly outperform over the long term...?

Greenhorns??

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its funny that people are called "amateurs" for investing in index funds, however if those people are amateurs, what do you call the stock pickers and active traders who they (amateurs)overwhelmingly outperform over the long term...?

Greenhorns??
you mean , how can we trust those who select which stocks go into various ETF ,s ?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:05 AM

27,233 posts, read 22,694,704 times
im not sure of the question either.

if its who selects the holdings of the index funds they are just that ,indexes.

they are long established groups of industry leaders that are tracked . at one time they are the only choices.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM

4,985 posts, read 5,422,069 times
Quote:
main priority when i bought was a decent dividend from well established companys

any opinions welcome

(DE) JOHN DEERE = 2.6% div
(MSFT) MICROSOFT = 2.8% div
(INTC) INTEL = 3.3% div
(OHI) OMEGA HEALTHCARE INVESTORS = 8.1% div
(PFE) PFIZER = 4.1% div
(JNJ) JOHNSON AND JOHNSON = 3.9% div
( GSK) GLAXOWSMITHKLINE = 5.1%
(FTE) FRANCE TELECOM = 14.2% div
(STD) BANCO SANTANDER = 17.2% div
(EWG) GERMANY INDEX ETF - similar to the DJI = 3% div
( TSCO.L) TESCO = the british wallmart = 3%
(KRZ.IR) KERRY = think the irish dean foods = dairy products company
(GL9.IR) GLANBIA = another dean foods type company , has a presence in the usa believe it or not though not on the NYSE
(BHP) BHP BILITON = 3.6% div
(CFR.VX) RICHEMONT = swiss luxury goods producer
Yes, but when did you put this portfolio together? It seems like you are using today's prices to figure its yield, but that may not be the yield that you are getting based on your initial investment.

For example, you show FTE yielding 14.2%. That may be true based on today's price of $12.15, but a year ago it was trading at over $21. If you bought back then, not only would your effective yield be lower, you would have lost 40% of your initial capital investment.

As for STD, I wouldn't buy that today with your money much less my own, lol.

Ironically, I think FTE might be a good buy today (although I would expect a cut in its $1.05 dividend. But it is currently trading at a forward P/E of only 6.13 and it earns almost $4/share.

However, if I was going to buy one French company today it would be TOT. It has dropped from about $57 to $43 over the past six months due to the European crises, but it is a worldwide company whose profits will continue to be made overseas even during a European recession. It has a forward P/E of 6.06 and is currently yielding a very sustainable 6.93%.

I do like, and in fact own, many of the other names on your list.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, but when did you put this portfolio together? It seems like you are using today's prices to figure its yield, but that may not be the yield that you are getting based on your initial investment.

For example, you show FTE yielding 14.2%. That may be true based on today's price of $12.15, but a year ago it was trading at over $21. If you bought back then, not only would your effective yield be lower, you would have lost 40% of your initial capital investment.

Ironically, I think FTE might be a good buy today (although I would expect a cut in its $1.05 dividend. But it is currently trading at a forward P/E of only 6.13 and it earns almost $4/share.

However, if I was going to buy one French company today it would be TOT. It has dropped from about $57 to $43 over the past six months due to the European crises, but it is a worldwide company whose profits will continue to be made overseas even during a European recession. It has a forward P/E of 6.06 and is currently yielding a very sustainable 6.93%.

I do like, and in fact own, many of the other names on your list.

i bought FTE at around 1% lower than it is today , i bought it only recently

as for STD , its the largest bank in europe and all things being equal , its seen as being a well run outfit , it has suffered from guilt by association with spain , it has a huge presence in south america and should be ok in the long run , i see it with more growth potential than FTE , france is kryptonite to growth and has been for years , i only bought FTE because telecoms are pretty safe and safety is important in times like this , the very recent news of a likely cut in dividend has got me thinking , VOD or T were a better bet

im very bearish at the moment , i bought BHP at $ 70 a month ago , with the slowdown in china , it could be soon at $50

as for the rest of my picks , im not well diversified , im too heavy in tech and healthcare , the healthcare i dont mind during times like this , im thinking of selling microsoft , its rock solid but lets face it , it has almost no growth , INTEL is a stock im more ambitious about , think il replace microsoft with apple but not untill apple drops back to at least $ 500

DE has been very disapointing this while but agriculture is a sector im familiar with and i have tremendous faith in this company for the long term , more than i do in the likes of CAT which is still a great stock of course

when you look at the world and how it is , its unlikely the market will finish higher than it is now by year end , the only thing going for it is we are in an election year , a high dollar isnt good for stocks and overseas earnings are going to take a hit , thats a big shock considering how important overseas earnings were this past few years , especially in asia

Last edited by irish_bob; 06-08-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 10:38 AM

17,029 posts, read 12,400,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Utilities also pay nice dividends and are reasonably stable
my mom's bf has been working for con edison for about 25 years or so. i believe he can purchase coned stock at a 10% discount. id like to find a calculator that can determine the annual and total return on investment just so i can see how much money he could have if he took advantage of that fully. seems like an amazing deal.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM

4,985 posts, read 5,422,069 times
Quote:
as for STD , its the largest bank in europe and all things being equal , its seen as being a well run outfit , it has suffered from guilt by associating with spain , it has a huge presence in south america and should be ok in the long run ,
What do you mean by associating with Spain??

That's like saying Bank of America has been associating with the United States.

It's a Spanish bank! It is headquartered in Madrid.

In fact, it's by far the largest Spanish bank.

Most people who invest in dividend-paying stocks look for reliable companies with safe and consistent dividends.

I wouldn't put STD (or any Spanish bank) in that category.

Not only is the dividend at risk (big understatement), but your capital investment is as well.

Now if someone wants to buy STD as a speculative play, that's one thing. But I definitely would not recommend it to anyone looking to put together a safe, reliable dividend-paying portfolio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing