Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,080,075 times

Advertisements

Foreigners Step Up Investment in U.S. - WSJ.com

In the face of the Euro's imminent collapse and China's prospective hard landing, it's looking like the safe money haven is, once again, us.

Not being jingoistic at all. Far from it. And I'm sure as hell not saying the United States is in fine financial shape. However, the influx of currency from Europe and the Far East may be felt soon. Foreign investment is already way up over previous years, and that's just the beginning.

Wonder what effect that will have on the economy? I'm thinking that commercial real estate, depending on the market, should be an almost instant beneficiary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,730,798 times
Cetainlty we see a natural shift to investmnets. Alos foreign investment in housing beig so cheap and rents going up so quickly on demand. Commercail is still not near the bottom and don't see it without the economy pickig up alot.All real estate especially commercial is very regional.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM

Yes. But commercial didn't go through nearly the overdevelopment that residential did, chiefly because there wasn't a government policy to push marginal renters into commercial space.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,217,384 times
I sorta look at news like this in the context of how does this fit in with the range of extremes. From the "get some dried food 'cause the collapse is a coming' nut jobs, to the goofy "that yellar horde is gonna run us into the ground" types, to the "we need more taxes and more money going to people on unemployment" losers pretty much all of 'me GET IT COMPLETELY WRONG that ANYPLACE ON EARTH is currently more attractive to global investors than the land in which we are so fortunate to call home...

Fact is any other country would be ECSTASTIC at the prospect of a certified business leader, turn around expert, straight arrow with a record of governoring a state with a history of "old fashioned" manufacturing during its transition toward a more tech / finance oriented economy. Only becuase we have a whole class of utterly ignorant celebrities controlling our news outlets / media who are infatuated with appearance over substance is the current administration NOT on a raft over the edge of the falls...

People have got pull their heads out of the sand. The globe needs GROWTH and leadership that understands how to foster that along with basic freedoms that emerging economies are still decades from grasping.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:30 PM

21,752 posts, read 25,007,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes. But commercial didn't go through nearly the overdevelopment that residential did, chiefly because there wasn't a government policy to push marginal renters into commercial space.
Oh, yes it did. Just depends where you're looking of course. I had to go to Minor State Boards Office Building this month. It just happens to be right next to the brand-spankin'-new Gateway 2020. It's utterly, completely empty. Hasn't seen a tenant since it was completed in 2009 to best of my knowledge. They may well have a few lined up conditionally, but the last time I tried to get in to look at it it was sealed off.

Region?s office vacancy rate hits record level - Sacramento Business Journal

Old 06-15-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Oh, yes it did. Just depends where you're looking of course. I had to go to Minor State Boards Office Building this month. It just happens to be right next to the brand-spankin'-new Gateway 2020. It's utterly, completely empty. Hasn't seen a tenant since it was completed in 2009 to best of my knowledge. They may well have a few lined up conditionally, but the last time I tried to get in to look at it it was sealed off.

Region?s office vacancy rate hits record level - Sacramento Business Journal
Ah, good point. Well you do live in the middle of Ground Zero of the real estate collapse, where the state government is compounding the fiasco by running off business and the professional class. Are you guys really going to raise taxes out there? Really? If I owned a business that didn't require a local retail trade, I'd pick up and leave California tomorrow and set up shop in Reno or some such.

I'm in the Southeast, where commercial real estate prices outside of Atlanta didn't take as big of a hit. Certainly not on the same scale as nationally. What's more, there has been a substantial rebound, so that industrial property prices are now roughly 50% greater than the trough hit in 2009 according to MIT. Lots of it has to do with bargain hunting, which is precisely what makes the market so attractive right now. For commercial real estate, at least in regions with an economic pulse, eventually gets absorbed. So a commercial real estate buyer can afford a buy-and-hold strategy for when the market comes back. Exactly the kind of strategy a smart investor would undertake, especially when his own national currency is coming under pressure.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 PM

21,752 posts, read 25,007,229 times
Well, about half the law firms I see up here are incorporated out of Nevada... I wonder why =D

Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,528,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The globe needs GROWTH and . . . .
Or maybe "the globe" would be wiser to sit a minute and consider the only things in life that do Growth for the Sake of Growth are:

1) Cancer, and

2) The Morbidly Obese.

Not such a good long term plan.

Why do you want to keep piling more Growth on to a Finite Planet?

Thought this one through, much?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,698,139 times
Here in NH we did not take quite as hard a real estate hit as other places. I have seen an increase in commercial office and manufacturing space for sale or rent over the last couple of years in one of the more prosperous towns. The exurban and rural areas have been hammered. IMHO it will take a lot of growth just to utilize existing commercial space as well as housing before much building will be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing