U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM

882 posts, read 619,639 times
Default I think MSFT is a BUY

They released the "Surface" tablet yesterday and from the reviews, it could be a game changer. PE at 11, Microsoft is much cheaper than a lot of tech stocks. It also offers a nice dividend at 2.7%

Now, let's talk about the Surface. This thing looks cool, it can be used as a regular PC and a Windows 8 Tablet. It's the best in the both worlds, also come with a kick stand, a cool keyboard. I know I would buy one over an iPad anytime. You can use this for play as well as serious work purposes.

what you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,666,813 times
With the Microsoft PC products I have purchased in the past, learned, then upgraded because I had to, I frequently have seen my favorite features totally disappear. Things are changed in the user interface which require relearning the software. And having to take weeks to get things set-up to where I can get my work done again.

The last straw with Microsoft was Office 2010 and their "ribbons". I had to buy a 3rd party add-on which made it look like previous versions of office. And it took me several weeks to "turn off" new useless stuff here and there so I could just type a letter in Word or read my email in Outlook.

It is obvious to me that Microsoft could care less what their customers want and don't bother asking. When many people complain, they don't do a thing.

So I'm not buying ANYTHING Microsoft again if I can avoid it and will buy something else.

But don't take my word for it, here is what other people have to say...
Why Do People Hate Microsoft Office? 59% People Do (977 opinions)

Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 AM

24,687 posts, read 25,911,765 times
You know, one tablet does not signal a game changer to me. In fact, the Big Question is why it's taken them so long to get to market with the thing. Is this just another Zune? Because people were oohing and aahing over that one, too.

To me, the problem with Microsoft is that it is so ossified. It is a huge, unwieldy organization that takes forever to get new products to market, and is really been sustained by the fact that the computers that run it are significantly cheaper than Apple products.

So until there is a true and clear shift in corporate strategy, one that is actually breaking new ground rather than playing catch up, I'm not inclined to put a dime in this company. Sorry.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM

4,806 posts, read 2,867,552 times
you would think news of a major new presentation from a long established giant would be greeted with considerable excitement , would not be surprised to see MSFT at $ 40 by year end

Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM

6,247 posts, read 4,730,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
They released the "Surface" tablet yesterday and from the reviews, it could be a game changer. PE at 11, Microsoft is much cheaper than a lot of tech stocks. It also offers a nice dividend at 2.7%

Now, let's talk about the Surface. This thing looks cool, it can be used as a regular PC and a Windows 8 Tablet. It's the best in the both worlds, also come with a kick stand, a cool keyboard. I know I would buy one over an iPad anytime. You can use this for play as well as serious work purposes.

what you guys think?
I don't think "Surface" will take over the iPad, but I do think MSFT is a good buy. I think the surface will put up a good fight against Samsung. I also think their new Windows 8 will generate buzz. I would own AAPL and MSFT.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:01 AM

24,687 posts, read 25,911,765 times
The other problem here is that MSFT is alienating the hardware manufacturers with this strategy. The difference between MSFT and AAPL is that Apple has invested in multiple revenue streams, all of which are immensely profitable. Here's an apt analysis: http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederic...-at-microsoft/

Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 AM

2,245 posts, read 970,124 times
MSFT will forever be late to the game.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:58 PM

57 posts, read 88,520 times
If the surface tablet doesn't have apps, it'll be DOA IMO.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,646,728 times
I think Microsoft is a sell. It is right near it's historical highs for the past decade and it is extremely range bound. In addition to that, I think the current market direction is down & MSFT will not buck that trend anytime soon. If you own the stock, or want to keep it long term, I would recommend selling covered calls right now for additional income or to protect your downside.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 AM

28,899 posts, read 24,933,649 times
i think microsoft is an good deal right now. if i had to pick 2 steals it would be microsoft and cisco..

cisco has 30% of their worth in cash alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing