Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,041,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
At those growth rates of 57% and 346%, China "should" catch-up with the US at the end of 2012. Projected into the future, we see :
US sales going to $65.7, $103.2, and $162.2 and China sales to $55.8, $249.1, $1,112.2 billion in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
For the mathmatically-challenged, $1,112 billion is $1.1 trillion. That means Apple sales in China will be about 10% of the Chinese economy. ... You betcha.

sssssure, it is ....
Now you're just being straight up crazy.
What exactly did I say that was crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 AM

3,884 posts, read 6,792,407 times
Quote:
What exactly did I say that was crazy?
Well my guess is that your using current growth rates to predict future sales. Its exponential, the larger the numbers get, the harder it is to achieve the current growth rate. Just because your car can go 0-60 in 8 seconds, doesnt mean it can go 0-160 in 16 seconds.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Well my guess is that your using current growth rates to predict future sales. Its exponential, the larger the numbers get, the harder it is to achieve the current growth rate.
Perhaps you missed the last line of my post. Had you done so, you would have identified the projection I calculated was, in no way, a prediction.
Quote:
sssssure, it is ....
It appears that neither of you noted the obvious skepticism on my part.

The previous two words in my post - just before "sssssure" - said ...
Quote:
... You betcha.
Again, this is an OBVIOUS tip-off that I was simply making mathematical projections and not a prediction.

< Sigh! > Do I really have to post a disclaimer also? ( Note for the dense: This is a projection and not a prediction. ) Duh.

Your example of ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Just because your car can go 0-60 in 8 seconds, doesnt mean it can go 0-160 in 16 seconds.
... ... is a perfect example of a mathematical projection, but not a prediction.
Why is it that you can write stuff like that, but when you read it, it is clear as mud?

Note that I got your point right away. You were clearly giving an impossible example. But then, of course, you used a .
Is your problem that you have to see such a graphical example? People that don't get sarcasm .... < Jeeze! >
It's a pain in the butt to have to explain stuff that should be obvious.

AAPL can easily go to $1,000. It could also go to $2,000.
Unfortunately, someday it will also go the way of United States Steel and later Kodak and General Motors.
Someday, some other nimble company will trump their technology and they just won't get it. Nothing lasts forever.

Last edited by mortimer; 09-21-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,986,968 times
Coked up monkeys can do simple projections.

What some people call sarcasm, others call just being stupid.

Those posting routinely here know apple will one day be a kodak. But until then, they intend to profit from it and it's expansion into new markets.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 PM

795 posts, read 1,387,953 times
AAPL is an astounding company, but for it to reach $1,000 would involve additional committed capital roughly equal to ExxonMobil. Are you confident that will happen? Perhaps. I would personally look elsewhere.

An overlooked concern: their titanic cash position is a reflection on management's difficulties allocating capital. Having cash is great but if you can't effectively deploy it, the opportunity costs of that uninvested capital are dear.

As far as the mega-companies go, XOM - a proven, superior capital allocator - trading at around 8x its cash flow is a very compelling valuation, and comes with a sterling record of increasing dividends.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:54 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,247,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
AAPL is an astounding company, but for it to reach $1,000 would involve additional committed capital roughly equal to ExxonMobil. Are you confident that will happen? Perhaps. I would personally look elsewhere.

An overlooked concern: their titanic cash position is a reflection on management's difficulties allocating capital. Having cash is great but if you can't effectively deploy it, the opportunity costs of that uninvested capital are dear.

As far as the mega-companies go, XOM - a proven, superior capital allocator - trading at around 8x its cash flow is a very compelling valuation, and comes with a sterling record of increasing dividends.
i perfer royal dutch shell , has a lower PE than XOM and pays a higher dividend

Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 PM

The news had an interesting response from one of the people who stood in line to get an iPhone5.
He said that the exclusivity is going. "Even my grandmother has an iPhone."

The news article went on to say that after the original iPhone was introduced, Apple
sold 1 million in three months. The iPhone5 is likely to sell 10 million in the first month.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 PM

24,348 posts, read 26,782,334 times
Quote:
The news had an interesting response from one of the people who stood in line to get an iPhone5.
He said that the exclusivity is going. "Even my grandmother has an iPhone."

The news article went on to say that after the original iPhone was introduced, Apple
sold 1 million in three months. The iPhone5 is likely to sell 10 million in the first month.
Estimates are actually between 5-10 million just for this weekend. Most expect 6-8 million were sold this weekend. We should find out the exact number soon. I tried to buy one Friday afternoon around San Francisco, but couldn't find a single AT&T or retailer that had them in stock.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Estimates are actually between 5-10 million just for this weekend.
Like I said earlier, Apple will have to do something unexpected to go to $1,000/share.
Just pumping out successive versions of iPhones won't do it.

I'm not betting they will, but will certainly not bet against them doing the "unexpected."
Instituting a dividend has to have been the best cushion for a price decline they could have selected.

I like following and analyzing the stock, but I can't invest in it because I don't understand their product.
I just can't understand the need to talk on the phone while walking around or pooping on the toilet.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,986,968 times
Quote:
I like following and analyzing the stock, but I can't invest in it because I don't understand their product.
I just can't understand the need to talk on the phone while walking around or pooping on the toilet.
That explains a lot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing