Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times

Advertisements

> I can see a reason for folks that are closer to retirement making a more rapid adjustment to bonds. But if you're in your 20s, do you think it makes sense?

No, the 10-yr Treasury yields 1.6% and the least safe investment grade bonds (call it solid mid-cap company issued debt) yields only 3%. That's barely keeping up with inflation. If inflation and/or interest rates rise, you can actually lose money in bond funds.

There is far more upside in stocks over the next 10 years and more likely emerging market stocks.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
We repositioned our portfolio (with the manager). We took profits in some of the equity positions and moved the cash into bonds ... mainly munis. Our medium term view is that the short term fiscal cliff issue will be kicked down the road a way by Congress and that interest rates are unlikely to rise in the next year. We still have a balanced portfolio (equity/bonds) but we adjusted the weighting more towards the bonds.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
> I can see a reason for folks that are closer to retirement making a more rapid adjustment to bonds. But if you're in your 20s, do you think it makes sense?

No, the 10-yr Treasury yields 1.6% and the least safe investment grade bonds (call it solid mid-cap company issued debt) yields only 3%. That's barely keeping up with inflation. If inflation and/or interest rates rise, you can actually lose money in bond funds.

There is far more upside in stocks over the next 10 years and more likely emerging market stocks.
bonds now are only about capital gains. i cant imagine many folks buying them with the intention of holding them long term for that interest payment.

im 97% different types of bond funds now but that will change as the big picture changes over the near term. with a 3-4% yield and up 9% ytd they are doing quite well even at this stage.

they may still have some time to go before the party is over.

for anyone who thinks things will get worse before they get better a long term bond fund or even a zero coupon long term bond fund can produce amazing capital gains if rates on the long end fall even 1%. the long bond fund can see a 30% gain and the zero coupon 50% more than even the long term fund.

we are talking serious gains with a 1 point drop .

i think near term we stand a bigger chance of long term rates falling a point then rising a point.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
I'm 100% stocks for my 401k and will keep it that way as I will not be needing the money for 35-40 more years.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:55 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
I'm 100% stocks for my 401k and will keep it that way as I will not be needing the money for 35-40 more years.
I am 100% stocks as well in my 401k. I was recently 70% stocks and 30% bonds, but I did not understand why I needed bonds, so I changed back to 100% stocks (some large, mid, small, and international funds at low cost). I will leave like this as I think the market is doing fine and will make some new highs soon. And if it doesn't, it is what it is!! But I want own bonds, cause I don't understand it. Overtime market will be fine.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Good idea, or bad?

Assuming the stock will nose-dive, that is.
Poor idea.

Excellent idea - read "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing" - Bogle, "The Four Pillars of Investing" - Bernstein, "All About Asset Allocation" - Bogle or "The Only Book for Successful Investing - Swedroe", read them all or just one, then develop an investment policy statement and asset allocation plan and stick to it. Basing your investment strategies based on potential legislation is like driving a car with your eyes closed, sooner or later you are apt to either hit something or go off the road completely.

Good Luck.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Poor idea.

Excellent idea - read "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing" - Bogle, "The Four Pillars of Investing" - Bernstein, "All About Asset Allocation" - Bogle or "The Only Book for Successful Investing - Swedroe", read them all or just one, then develop an investment policy statement and asset allocation plan and stick to it. Basing your investment strategies based on potential legislation is like driving a car with your eyes closed, sooner or later you are apt to either hit something or go off the road completely.

Good Luck.
I agree. I'm 25% in bonds (global bond fund, where there is a better chance of getting half decent long term returns) and 75% in stocks. My 401K is set up to rebalance automatically every quarter.

Most times I ever tried to get in and out of asset classes quickly it usually didn't go well.

I finally learned to leave well enough alone and I also learned I didn't have the stomach for a 100% stock portfolio. So now I have 25% in bonds and 55% of my stocks are in a low volatility funds (at least low volatility for stock funds).

Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Alot of people seem to think interest rates are going to be going up.
5% or 6% I think QE-infinity has pretty much nixed that, we'll be lucky to see 2%

bill

Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think it depends o the type of agreement. Certainly as we see now Equities are seen as too risky and volumes are low.thatw as even before the cliff.I am not sure that since the crash we will see volumes high for many years. Maybe rises and then fall to adjust as most seem to be traders buiyngthen selligquickly. Long term investors are fewer.On eonly has to remmber that it took a gneration before mnay got back intot eh equities and whenh interest rates rise we will really find out what risk people are willing to take agian. Many may be unwilling with interest not supressed by FED policy.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,558 times
Today the Dow hit 14,000. It seems that stocks are reaching a peak. Nobody knows, but it's a gut feeling. Interest rates are pretty low. What is a person suppose to do?? Stay in stocks or move to Bonds or ???

I have:
60% in the T. Rowe Price Small Cap (PRSVX)
18% in Vanguard Bond Market Index Signa (VBTSX)
11% T. Rowe Price New Horizon (PRNHX)
8% FMI Common Stock (FMIMX)

My balance is around $280k and I'm 41 years old.

What do you guys/gals think, why should I stay in stocks if they are peaking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing