Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM

524 posts, read 843,773 times

Advertisements

own your property and house. Have a source of heat. Work on your self sufficiency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
own your property and house. Have a source of heat. Work on your self sufficiency
What about the wealth tax?
Source of heat?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM

691 posts, read 771,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Well back then we were growing then. Now we are in reverse. I don't think it will be the same.
The only thing that was growing back then was the "tech bubble" which burst right when Clinton left office.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The market will be scary maybe 1 or 2 weeks, but will recover. If you are worried I would buy GLD, which follows the price of gold.
i agree. i'd be looking to buy in if there is a sharp decline in the initial weeks. just like in late 2007.

the question i wonder is, will things like TIPS go up even more? it'd be amazing, but if we do go off the fiscal cliff, the government's finances will be better, and it's still the safest investment, right?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i agree. i'd be looking to buy in if there is a sharp decline in the initial weeks. just like in late 2007.

the question i wonder is, will things like TIPS go up even more? it'd be amazing, but if we do go off the fiscal cliff, the government's finances will be better, and it's still the safest investment, right?
wrong. The democrats refuse to cut spending. Think of your own finances. If you had tons of debt and got a second job to try to pay down the debt is it going to help that you keep spending the same way?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
wrong. The democrats refuse to cut spending.
Because . . . it would collapse the entire economy.

They are not idiots. The only folks that have not figured that out are (R)etard Tea Party brownshirt dolts.

Quote:

Think of your own finances. If you had tons of debt and got a second job to try to pay down the debt is it going to help that you keep spending the same way?
Has nothing to do with individual financial models. Dunno if you actually believe this crap, or just have absolutely no situation awareness or what?

At this point, .gov is the only Gots Money playa in town.

.Gov money stops and the whole game collapses like a small town with a closed military base.

But at this level it is Nationwide and beyond.

If we must cut -- Stop the Overseas Spending Drain via the .mil Endless Wars and PNAC Empire. That is a just a Stop the Bleeding move. Want to do something positive? Reduce the Oil and Chinacrap imports.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The cliif willhappen to everyone if it hits. Just to tax the rich only means indirect increases to everyoe below i prices.But even if we tax the rich at the highest level proposed it not goig to pay but for perhaps 2% of the deficit i ten yeqars. Unless we tackle the three big entitlements they will continue to comsume more and more;which is why they are called unsustainbale. Its like paying a credit card at minmum payments while increasig the total spent. Somethig to think about is China the Japan are our biggest creditors from their svings rates,Both have aging populations and at some point are going to call in that debt to support that aging popualtion of savers.Our government debt is their retirement basically.
Why dont the US file bankrupt like most Americans I think that would take care of our problem

Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Under your mattress.

...in your fallout shelter.

...next to your AK-47, gold bars, and K rations.
<yawn> Very original. And helpful.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
If it truly does collapse, one thing I will do is to visit my dad's grave and tell him he was finally right. He lived through the Great Depression and he expected another economic collapse every day of his 80 odd years. I decided not to do the same.

But to answer the OP's question, I say buy land and bury your gold. I didn't buy my rural land because of a fear of economic collapse. I bought it because without freedom and space, an economy means little to me.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Because . . . it would collapse the entire economy.

They are not idiots. The only folks that have not figured that out are (R)etard Tea Party brownshirt dolts.

Has nothing to do with individual financial models. Dunno if you actually believe this crap, or just have absolutely no situation awareness or what?

At this point, .gov is the only Gots Money playa in town.

.Gov money stops and the whole game collapses like a small town with a closed military base.

But at this level it is Nationwide and beyond.

If we must cut -- Stop the Overseas Spending Drain via the .mil Endless Wars and PNAC Empire. That is a just a Stop the Bleeding move. Want to do something positive? Reduce the Oil and Chinacrap imports.
We are talkig about the cliff as agred to in taxes and alreaqdy agreed to cuts from militray and programs as agred to ;not some compormise. the cuts amunt to 400 billion that directly effect consmers according to CBO. The defense deaprtmenyt has already been workig o where they will cut and many jobs both rpoiavte and public are likely to be efected as well as more base closings as has happen before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing