Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times

Advertisements

With the Republicans acting like spoiled children, we may well see the so called jump off the fiscal cliff. I think this may be a great to excellent opportunity to buy. I am waiting myself to see if they hold on to their my way or the highway ideas driving us off the cliff. If so the markets will react maybe even before the cliff exit. This will make for a great time to buy on a large dip. I would love to see a thirty percent dump. The market will rebound when either the fix is then brought in or even more likely people realize the cliff is more of small pot hole in the road and lung back into the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
I would love to see a thirty percent dump.
At 13000 a 30% dump would put the DOW at 9100. I heard some comments recently by a person saying they are looking for less than 8000 on the DOW.

One thing for sure is that all the stimulus and qe stuff has the US in a real problem. Actually fixing things could require another fall in the markets. Although with 23 million out of work now I doubt it would impact the real world much.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:07 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Quote:
I heard some comments recently by a person saying they are looking for less than 8000 on the DOW.
One can only hope. I'd double down on several of my long positions and start a few new ones.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Quote:
With the Republicans acting like spoiled children, we may well see the so called jump off the fiscal cliff. I think this may be a great to excellent opportunity to buy. I am waiting myself to see if they hold on to their my way or the highway ideas driving us off the cliff. If so the markets will react maybe even before the cliff exit. This will make for a great time to buy on a large dip. I would love to see a thirty percent dump. The market will rebound when either the fix is then brought in or even more likely people realize the cliff is more of small pot hole in the road and lung back into the market.
This is Obama's mess, not the Republicans. After 4 years Obama still isn't LEADING, but rather BLAMING. He has yet to submit a sensible budget. He campaigned for re-election promising jobs but now what? No more talk about creating jobs. The @rsehole was simply running for re-election so he could take more taxpayer-paid vacations.

Obama keeps talking about a "balanced" approach, but has not yet shown where significant cuts will be made to the expensive, expansive budgets of his past four years.

But you Swooners will continue to swoon, I suppose, until we are totally owned by China.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Well;I'd say neither aprty is acting lke adults. Doubling up from the position 18 months ago isn't exactly adult.Only thing I see is people movig to more cash posiitons seeig higher taxes coming. Notice that head of Goldamn action on stock options after meeeting with Obama to tune of 500 milion>I would say he wasn't encouarge by what he heard.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
So what is the daydream / scheme?

A/the crisis hits, and then . . . .

Wait until it drops (if it does) and then buy?

===========

Normally I would think you may want to Short things in advance and make money on the way down AND back up.

B U T . . . while just sitting on the sidelines, you cannot really have the confidence to know if they will crash things and set the fall in place, is that correct?

Do you suppose there are any influence-positioned folks in High Places who have already bought (or getting ready to buy) Short positions with the pre-knowledge that they are going to be assisting in pushing this over the cliff?

Makes me think of the folks who were Shorting American Airlines and United on the eve of 9-11, with the prior knowledge that their stocks would be harmed.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
This is Obama's mess, not the Republicans. After 4 years Obama still isn't LEADING, but rather BLAMING. He has yet to submit a sensible budget. He campaigned for re-election promising jobs but now what? No more talk about creating jobs. The @rsehole was simply running for re-election so he could take more taxpayer-paid vacations.

Obama keeps talking about a "balanced" approach, but has not yet shown where significant cuts will be made to the expensive, expansive budgets of his past four years.

But you Swooners will continue to swoon, I suppose, until we are totally owned by China.
Both parties agree that taxes should not increase on the middle class, so why are Republicans blocking a vote? Some Republicans are saying it would pass both the Congress and Senate, but of course Republicans are holding the middle class hostage, so they can protect the top 2%.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
I'm 100% in shares, so I would welcome a large drop in the markets, so I can buy call options =)

I'll be happy either way, but I agree with Cramer that we would be in a big bull market right now if it weren't for the fiscal cliff worries.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:26 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Why should Republicans agree with a deal of tax increases now and spending cuts later? That is the same Lucy with the football play the Democrats always offer as a "compromise". If there is to be an actual deal, both sides have to give up something equally important to them, otherwise it won't work.
I actually don't want a deal. I think the people should get what they voted for, higher taxes and more spending.
If it hurts the stock market, too bad. People need to start paying up.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,426 times
I am 80% long stocks. Same old story from the summer when we waited for the QE3 to get fixed.

I am buying stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing