Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Damn right life is good, eccotecc.

And it will likely get even better as mathjak gave us that STRONG BUY signal the other week when he mentioned that he dumped a hunk of his equity holdings...
ONLY reduced by 10% and that was based on the over all retirement plan regardless of where markets are .

I don't believe in putting the carrot on a stick forever if it does not mesh with the overall plan or goal.

The biggest mistake anyone makes is not sticking to the plan or strategy and letting greed over take the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ONLY reduced by 10% and that was based on the over all retirement plan regardless of where markets are .

I don't believe in putting the carrot on a stick forever if it does not mesh with the overall plan or goal.

The biggest mistake anyone makes is not sticking to the plan or strategy and letting greed over take the plan.
Yep...There is irrational exuberance and calculated risk. Plan your investments and work your plan.

Life is good....

Old 09-03-2014, 11:04 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
what I always find interesting is when stocks are falling the number 1 question most have is do I sell some or do I bail???

my answer is the time to have asked that question is when they were breaking new highs. now it is to late. now the question should be do I buy or rebalance.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:42 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,444 times
Default Mop up via Asset deflation: "It's the only way to be sure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie
Damn right life is good, eccotecc.

And it will likely get even better as mathjak gave us that STRONG BUY signal the other week when he mentioned that he dumped a hunk of his equity holdings...
Is that what he's doing? I thought he was just following Ms. Columbo's lead. I figured his retirement "timing" was just a coincidence.

You just don't get it do you Market Junkie? Theoretically, you're an "unsophisticated saver" just like me (risk-less markets LOL!)—& most everyone knows that the FED/Mr Market likes to needle us financial simpletons.

The way I see it, the only way to continue with low/ZIRP going forward is to 'neutralize' the potential high/hyperinflationary threats that all this cumulative digital welfare has created.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:22 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Rebalancing is mathjak107's preferred strategy, so he's just doing what he needs to do to stick with that.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what I always find interesting is when stocks are falling the number 1 question most have is do I sell some or do I bail???

my answer is the time to have asked that question is when they were breaking new highs. now it is to late. now the question should be do I buy or rebalance.
Not just buy and rebalance but also what do I buy. When markets are frothy high I either go cash, bonds or total market index. When they are more normal or low I will be more cap size, sector etc oriented. Some times are good for total market index funds others for more target specific funds.

You don't need to sell sometimes you can just move the needle by what you buy. May not move it much but you can better influence future gains which after compounding and time can become more of an impact.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:06 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
And so, the first week of this September ends with another all-time record high: 2007.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:54 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And so, the first week of this September ends with another all-time record high: 2007.
I get that this bull market still has legs, but we are long overdue for a 10% correction, even in a secular bull market. What gives?? I'm very suspect for adding more lump sum in U.S. equities other than my normal regular monthly investments, until we see some pullback.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
I really hope this isn't a repeat of 1999, where we have a stock market bubble, that will rise to S&P 2500 or higher to even 3000 not supported by fundamentals and comes crashing down. In this case the bubble would be exacerbated by cheap borrowing costs and relative low yields on 'conservative' investments. When rates rise and margins called, the party will stop hard. Thoughts?

Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,444 times
Default The digital welfare halfway house is being decommissioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer
Rebalancing is mathjak107's preferred strategy, so he's just doing what he needs to do to stick with that.
Preferred or navigating through the economic ocean? I presume lots of ~57yr old investors doing/pondering what mathjak107 is doing today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013
I get that this bull market still has legs, but we are long overdue for a 10% correction, even in a secular bull market. What gives??
The market already had several shadow corrections since the start of 2014. When the time is right, they'll all register in 1 lump sum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013
]I really hope this isn't a repeat of 1999,...In this case the bubble would be exacerbated by cheap borrowing costs and relative low yields on 'conservative' investments. When rates rise and margins called, the party will stop hard. Thoughts?
Yeah, see post #414. Some more thoughts to think over:

How much money is theoretically locked-up in retirement portfolios (ref: 25~40% withdrawal costs)?
How much digital money will/may gravitate toward bonds?
How will/can a notice-of-withdrawal type scenario be 'governed' into the bond market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing