Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Berkshire Hathaway BRKB, no dividends but it is far better then any mutual fund
Stocks are too volatile for what the OP wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 AM

106,576 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Berkshire Hathaway BRKB, no dividends but it is far better then any mutual fund
last 10 years wasn't so hot, fidelity growth company beat it by a mile.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Consider buying a small investment property. Pay cash. If you're able to get $1000 to $1200 for rent you should clear $500 to $700 per month yielding roughly 6 to 8% annual exclusive of depreciation and tax write offs.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
If you were to pay off your debt and then take the remaining and start a vangaurd fund, and then every month deposit the amount you were going to pay on your car and mortgage into the fund, after 2017(when the house is supposed to be paid off) you will have more than 100k.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I want an investment, preferably a mutual fund with one of the major firms that does the following:

-Stable principle
-Pays current income preferably monthly but quarterly will suffice.
-Stability of principal is more important than the income. In other words I accept low risk=low payout.

I want to use the income to accelerate payments for:
-Mortgage $65K payoff 2017
-Car 1 $9800 payoff 2015
-Car 2 $15000 payoff 2015

No credit card debt. I have retirement and emergency fund covered.

After discussing with my wife we decided not to payoff the debts all at once with this. We want to preserve the principal and accelerate the payments with this income.

Ideas?
Good idea as long as the interest rate on your debt is much less than the return you can expect with a low risk market investment. If the interest on your mortgage is 10% and a diversified mutual fund is earning 12%, then it doesn't make any sense to put the money in the fund. It would be better off to pay down the debt.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
First RMD. If you have no investments you should start with what you have and look for a good balance of mutual funds. You might as well go with a Roth here since this is money you seem to have in hand so this is after tax and I would suggest all of it. If you have other investments and those are doing well just plus them up and pay down the debt on the two cars. Keep the mortgage.

Quote:
I want an investment, preferably a mutual fund with one of the major firms that does the following:

Quote:
-Stable principle
-Pays current income preferably monthly but quarterly will suffice.
-Stability of principal is more important than the income. In other words I accept low risk=low payout.
I want to use the income to accelerate payments for:
-Mortgage $65K payoff 2017
-Car 1 $9800 payoff 2015
-Car 2 $15000 payoff 2015
No credit card debt. I have retirement and emergency fund covered.
After discussing with my wife we decided not to payoff the debts all at once with this. We want to preserve the principal and accelerate the payments with this income.
Ideas?

Lincolnian not everyone is cut out for property management. He could buy and flip property but if they are not good with that you can take a bath doing speculation like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Consider buying a small investment property. Pay cash. If you're able to get $1000 to $1200 for rent you should clear $500 to $700 per month yielding roughly 6 to 8% annual exclusive of depreciation and tax write offs.

I agree with you skinnayyy but only if he has other investments. If they do not have any retirement fund started yet that should be the priority and that would make a nice beginning to a nest egg. We also do not know how old they are and any other circumstances they might be in. Still if they have some going now I would as I mention above plus up the current investments and pay off the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
If you were to pay off your debt and then take the remaining and start a vangaurd fund, and then every month deposit the amount you were going to pay on your car and mortgage into the fund, after 2017(when the house is supposed to be paid off) you will have more than 100k.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
last 10 years wasn't so hot, fidelity growth company beat it by a mile.
I just checked the charts and I see what you mean. That said, you can't buy past performance and i'm not after the best performing investment.

I still vote for BRK.B because of the quality of the holdings it has.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Stocks are too volatile for what the OP wants.
If stocks are too volatile then inflation is going to get him.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
I just checked the charts and I see what you mean. That said, you can't buy past performance and i'm not after the best performing investment.

I don't follow the stock market, but didn't they just dump a lot of their stuff a few months back?

Old 02-14-2013, 04:06 PM

106,576 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:

i like berkshire too . i think i heard warren bought heinz today for 28 billion. boy he must relish that company.

i guess he is trying to ketchup to bill gates lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing