Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365;28319953[B
] around November of 2012, I pulled my retirement funds out of the stock market and slid it into government bonds because I thought the stock market was going to tank due .[/b]
Pick your asset allocation and contribute, re balance accordingly as you age and your risk tolerance change. And do nothing more.

But please don't move your holdings to cash again. Stay the course. Just like a marriage, there will be good and bad times.

Unless you want to time the market and trade it, then excuse what I wrote and continue doing what you doing. But if you saving for retirement, then wondering what the market will do today or tommorow will not help you. You already missed good returns from November 2012 to now!

I stayed still during the 2007-2009 market crash, didn't care about my losing percentage. It was none of my business as I was young guy just investing.

When market drops buy more and more and more and more and more. Then go play more video game. Nice and simple

Last edited by darrell2525; 02-19-2013 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post

So, I wanted to get your opinions on the rise of the stock market in relation to current events, whether I should jump into the market from bonds, and get your future predictions for the year.

Thanks.
If this is your 401K or ROTH IRA, set your asset allocation, dump the money in there and keep on contributing.

Noone knows the future direction of the stock market.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 AM

520 posts, read 1,006,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Unless you want to time the market and trade it...
That's exactly what I was trying to do with my TSP. I was moving money to the G-fund (government bonds) when I thought it would decline, then moving back to S-fund (small cap), C-fund (stocks) and I-fund (international) when I thought the cycle had bottomed out.

But, after listening to you all, I'm going to stop thinking that I'm Warren Buffett and just stay put

Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM

756 posts, read 714,349 times
Oh my, those nasty little Fed minutes spoiling the party again...

Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what I was trying to do with my TSP. I was moving money to the G-fund (government bonds) when I thought it would decline, then moving back to S-fund (small cap), C-fund (stocks) and I-fund (international) when I thought the cycle had bottomed out.

But, after listening to you all, I'm going to stop thinking that I'm Warren Buffett and just stay put
Hang it up man, not with retirement money, no guessing with that.

Now what I do from time to time, maybe 3 times a week, is day trade the ES emini based on some technical analysis. But its very rare, and my risk is very low. You can do that if you want to trade and guess.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
Wise decision on your part. You were engaged in a fool's errand.

Quote:

Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:

If you are over 5 years out from retirement the stay in then C S and I Funds. 5 years in then begin to reallocate your funds. Timing ups and downs is not worth it and your more apt to lock in your losses than gains.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
Agreed, if the plan is to begin withdrawing the money at retirement. Otherwise, I'd leave it in the funds. By the time the withdrawals begin, I will most likely be all entirely in the Lifecycle income fund, or some variation that is very G-fund heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
If you are over 5 years out from retirement the stay in then C S and I Funds. 5 years in then begin to reallocate your funds. Timing ups and downs is not worth it and your more apt to lock in your losses than gains.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
I am a little confused and wanted to get opinions from people on CD as to the current stock market environment.

I was apprehensive when I lost a lot of money during the circa 2007 stock market crash. I'm still relatively young, and it appears as though I'm starting to recover my retirement fund losses. However, around November of 2012, I pulled my retirement funds out of the stock market and slid it into government bonds because I thought the stock market was going to tank due to (1) debt ceiling, (2) economic reports, (3) debt-to-GDP, and (4) an unstable, or non-collaborative, government.

But, even with all of the bad news and negative stuff you hear on TV, the stock market just continues to go up, and up, and up. On one hand, I'm reading about how the government is pumping money into the markets and that's why it's performing so well, but it won't last, and how stocks tend to do well at the start of the year and then tank around 2nd/3rd quarter, but all I see are stock market rallies. Meanwhile, I'm confused as to whether I should move my money, now, and buy at the current highs and then have the stock market crash or cash in on this bull market.

So, I wanted to get your opinions on the rise of the stock market in relation to current events, whether I should jump into the market from bonds, and get your future predictions for the year.

Thanks.
The central banks of the world are engaged in currency wars. The best example of this is Japan. Their economy sucks, but their Nikkei has rallied like crazy since they decided to print endless amounts of money starting in November. The same has happened here, but on a smaller scale. I have seen the headline "Dow rallies on weaker dollar" or "Nikkie rallies on weaker yen" many of times recently on CNBC.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM

61 posts, read 88,391 times
QE to infinity. Dow to 30,000. There have no other option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing