Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times

Advertisements

Anyone thinking that a sequester, if it comes to pass, would offer a great buying opportunity? Surely the markets would nosedive, and that might present an opportune moment to snap up cheap shares. That's what I plan to do--I've got 20k or so in cash that I had planned to invest, but I think the market is too high right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Anyone thinking that a sequester, if it comes to pass, would offer a great buying opportunity? Surely the markets would nosedive, and that might present an opportune moment to snap up cheap shares. That's what I plan to do--I've got 20k or so in cash that I had planned to invest, but I think the market is too high right now.
You have no idea what the market will do in the short term, and neither does anyone else on this message board.

All you'd be doing is guessing, so throw a dart and see where it lands...

That is the honest truth.

If you are INVESTING for the long term (not market timing/trading), waiting a month or two will not make any difference...

Old 02-23-2013, 12:03 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I would also advise against timing the market unless you are heavy in options. I think many people are immune too the fiscal cliff and sequester. Many people actually want the sequester to happen, so maybe the markets will go down a bit, but it definitely won't be a crash (my opinion).

Old 02-23-2013, 03:22 AM

106,660 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You have no idea what the market will do in the short term, and neither does anyone else on this message board.

All you'd be doing is guessing, so throw a dart and see where it lands...

That is the honest truth.

If you are INVESTING for the long term (not market timing/trading), waiting a month or two will not make any difference...
like those who had it all figured out with the fiscal cliff or with the end of qe1 or the end of qe2 ,.

hope they enjoyed the returns on the side line.

in fact i was so sure we were headed lower the day after the market crashed in 1987. we closed at 1735 after falling from 2700. that august.

1600 was a given i believed and that was my target point.. well i could still be waiting if i believed my own bull-sh%t.

that was 1200% ago.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
IF the sequster comes to pass, and IF it results in a severe market correction, then yes, I would consider it a great buying opportunity, and would take advantage of a cheaper Mr Market and continue to add to my long positions, and maybe start a new one if the right stock gets down to the right price. But that's a lot of IF's, and I don't let IF's determine my investing regimen. Pay attention to what's going on with the stocks you own, not what the market as a whole is doing, and especially not what the government of the fed is doing.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Just curious. The market was up big yesterday a week before the sequester with no indication at all of it being avoided. So why do you think the market would dive? I mean it is not a wise orgarnized way of doing it but it is deficit reduction.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Let's all hope that we can avoid that Sequester. It ultimately cannot be good for the United States. The hit to the defense department and to other parts of our government. Do I want us to keep spending beyond our means? No! I want us to figure out a way to cut back on things we do not need and fund the things we do. Do I want us to tax rich people harder? Nope. I think we pay enough. All of us. If Warren Buffet thinks he dont pay enough in taxes then he can pay more if he wants. It is obvious he has enough money to do that anyway. So instead of posturing in the media let's get off our butts and get stuff done.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
What the markets hate most is uncertainty. A Sequester would mark the breakdown of our government. Sure eventually they'll patch a budget together, but it will be done under rushed, emergency conditions and will likely have unintended negative consequences, because they won't have time to think things through. Potentially 100,000s of federal employees will be furloughed, and will not be drawing salary, which means they will not be spending money. It will absolutely spill over and affect the private sector. This terrifies Wall Street, because they need the sheeple out there buying all the latest crap.

Also, I don't believe corporate America wants to see deficit reduction accomplished this way, because then it will be their ox getting gored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Just curious. The market was up big yesterday a week before the sequester with no indication at all of it being avoided. So why do you think the market would dive? I mean it is not a wise orgarnized way of doing it but it is deficit reduction.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Quote:
A Sequester would mark the breakdown of our government.
That's ridiculous. The amount of potential automatic spending cuts would be $85 billion which is just under 3% off current government expenditures. If we can't cut 3 cents out of every dollar without throwing the country into the stone ages, we're doing something drastically wrong that needs to be stopped. I say let the cuts go through, we're broke and need to cut back anyway. And if there's negative fallout from it, maybe it will wake up the politicians and force them to work together for the good of the country and change their reckless overspending ways, which is the real financial disease facing this country, and all of our other economic problems are merely symptoms of it.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
$85 billion in cuts out of a $3.7 trillion budget and our elected pieces of garbage telling us how its taking an axe to the budget? telling us how basically every government service will either be stopped or severely delayed????? does it seem like government intentionally cuts where it hurts to ensure they dont get cut? if my company had to cut out 2.3% of its budget im pretty sure we could continue providing service without the customer noticing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing