Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

bill bernsteins 4 pillers of investing is good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Rosenberg View Post
Not a bad fund, but I don't think most people can handle the volatility of an all stock portfolio.

I prefer balanced funds such as Vanguard Wellington (VWENX). The fees are only a tad higher than an index fund. It has returns close to or better than VTSAX with less volatility.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
To the OP. Do you have any retirement fund at all? I suggest using SOME of that money towards starting one if not. That money will grow and compound. It will be tied up and you cannot withdraw that money until you are 60 or older without fees so it is NOT meant to be withdrawn. Does your employer offer 401k matching at all?

If you absolutely need all of that money to spend then do not go the route above. I would recommend you supply us with a general idea of how much money you can keep tied up in investments and how much you need for emergencies.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 PM

213 posts, read 728,193 times
First all congratulations on being able to save that much and even more so for helping out your mother.

Thats great.

My advice is since you are debt free do you have an emergency fund, if not i would suggest starting one. Some say 3 to 12 months of expenses but it also depends on if you lost ur job how quick you could get another.

As far as investing you are looking for dividend paying stocks so you can use that as an additional source of income. Usually reits have the highest but risky cause it is real estate. Some energy companys pay well too.

Resources for learning to invest. A lot of great ones have been posted so far. There also investopedia, get rich slowly. Also go to the library and check out a few basic books on investing

Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Not a bad fund, but I don't think most people can handle the volatility of an all stock portfolio.

I prefer balanced funds such as Vanguard Wellington (VWENX). The fees are only a tad higher than an index fund. It has returns close to or better than VTSAX with less volatility.

Personnally I find I do much better in individual stocks than in funds~~the funds bleed a couple % off the top for managing the stock picking ~ I prefer to keep that for myself~ and the stock portfolio is doing better than any of my mutual funds and have for many years.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
I also like Ric Edelman's the Truth About Money.

My girlfriend recommended her investment advisor so I gave him a call. He was lazy and said I should just put my pitiful sum into Cisco, which was $80/share at the time - but for years after that it has hovered around $20. I knew about diverification so I thanked him for his time and decided I could lose my money without paying him a commission.

So, to start with go to either Fidelity or Vanguard, both have a good reputation and chose something safe. Do you want dividends or growth? Know youself and your own needs first. Beware of someone pushing too hard into any kind of investment and only deal with reputable people. There are no get rich quick sceams and some good, and some, advice on the threads.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Personnally I find I do much better in individual stocks than in funds~~the funds bleed a couple % off the top for managing the stock picking ~ I prefer to keep that for myself~ and the stock portfolio is doing better than any of my mutual funds and have for many years.
More power to you, but you are not typical of 99% of the population. Everyone thinks they can beat the market. Few can. It takes brains, time, and the right temperament to pick stocks and do it well. Few people have the magic combination of all 3.

And funds like Vanguard Wellington has such low fees they are not worth mentioning. Even though trading costs may be a drag for the fund, I doubt the total expenses incurred by the fund (expense ratio plus trading costs) are a couple percent. I bet the fund's total costs are well below 1%.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 PM

748 posts, read 819,961 times
Some good advise here:
How to Make Wealth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing