Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's simply not true. I know many many Democrats willing to talk about means testing for Social Security, just as a for-instance. I don't know where you get the idea that Democrats aren't willing to reduce entitlements to those who aren't struggling to afford the basics.
bUU, I'm not totally against what you are saying.

Honestly, I don't think its right that people who have enormous wealth receive Social Security.

I think we should've implemented Simpson Bowles....how do you know it would work? Both sides HATED it...that's the sign of a good plan/compromise....You don't get everything you want, but some...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
whichever few that may have said something publicly, it isn't serious or they specifically haven't come up with a plan to include that (modify medicare and/SS for younger people)....if they have, please show that to me.
"Prominent Democrats -- including the President and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi -- are openly suggesting that Medicare be means-tested and Social Security payments be reduced by applying a lower adjustment for inflation." - Robert Reich (who happens to oppose the idea - the Democrats are broad-shouldered enough to have healthy debate within the party)

Quote:
The left is just as dug in as the right....
Evidently not.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
"Prominent Democrats -- including the President and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi -- are openly suggesting that Medicare be means-tested and Social Security payments be reduced by applying a lower adjustment for inflation." - Robert Reich (who happens to oppose the idea - the Democrats are broad-shouldered enough to have healthy debate within the party)

Evidently not.
Do you HONESTLY believe they are going to garner enough support for that?

Radical liberal groups already have signatures from a couple million people opposing any changes to SS/medicare....

I also believe there is healthy debate on the right, but IMO they caved when they shouldn't have....

Old 04-19-2013, 12:50 PM
bUU

Quote:
Do you HONESTLY believe they are going to garner enough support for that?
That wasn't the question: The question was whether there were Democrats that supported means testing for Social Security.

Quote:
Radical liberal groups already have signatures from a couple million people opposing any changes to SS/medicare....
And I'm sure there are right-wing militia in Montana talking about a violent take-over of the federal government if they don't get what they want. I think mean-testing for Social Security is the more likely of the two, but I suppose we cannot be too sure.

Quote:
I also believe there is healthy debate on the right
Really? About what, specifically?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
That wasn't the question: The question was whether there were Democrats that supported means testing for Social Security.

And I'm sure there are right-wing militia in Montana talking about a violent take-over of the federal government if they don't get what they want. I think mean-testing for Social Security is the more likely of the two, but I suppose we cannot be too sure.

Really? About what, specifically?
The point is the left is just as dug in as the right. You may disagree but its the truth...

You don't think the wealthy are being "fair" and don't pay enough taxes....I disagree.

You will never get control of the budget w/o tackling problems like SS/Medicare/Medicaid/Defense..etc..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM
bUU

Quote:
The point is the left is just as dug in as the right. You may disagree but its the truth...
Okay so let's agree to disagree. I thought the point of providing you a counter-example showing that the left is willing to modify Social Security was to help you acknowledge that there is a difference between the two sides in this regard.

Quote:
You will never get control of the budget w/o tackling problems like SS/Medicare/Medicaid/Defense..etc..
And so we're back to means-testing. Why are you sending us in circles?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
There wouldn't be a problem with SS if they'd quit spending the surplus. That's our money, and doesn't belong in the budget.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
There wouldn't be a problem with SS if they'd quit spending the surplus. That's our money, and doesn't belong in the budget.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about:

Does Congress raid Social Security? - CBS News

Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM

Or, you can get the real story.....

What Happened to the $2.6 Trillion Social Security Trust Fund? - Forbes

Did Obama scare people for political gain or is there no trust fund. (or both....)

Buu, which is it?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
You clearly don't know what you're talking about:

Does Congress raid Social Security? - CBS News
We're all just dying to hear your explanation of how the special treasury securities get converted to cash.

That should be easy for you to explain, since, after all.....

Quote:
I do understand economics.
....right?

Amused....

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing