Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 AM

67 posts, read 140,535 times

Advertisements

I've got around $7000 to invest, maybe more, and I decided to enter the stock market last week.

Disney and Viacom both stood out to me, as did AMC networks.

I know that stock prices are high at the moment and that it's best to buy low and sell high. But are these companies good to invest in?

I really like Viacom, as it's got assets in television, as well as internet resources and reality T.V which has been quite a hit recently.

I also like Disney - it's got assets in a whole lot of media companies, with a fun brand image of Disneyland to match, which I think is relatively important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:11 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbutterfly View Post
I've got around $7000 to invest, maybe more, and I decided to enter the stock market last week.

I know that stock prices are high at the moment and that it's best to buy low and sell high. But are these companies good to invest in?

I really like Viacom, as it's got assets in television, as well as internet resources and reality T.V which has been quite a hit recently.

I also like Disney - it's got assets in a whole lot of media companies, with a fun brand image of Disneyland to match, which I think is relatively important.
Disney is currently my largest holding. It has been very good to me so far. They have made some excellent acquisitions such as Marvel and Pixar. The Disney parks and movies work hand in hand together. Overall, it's a solid company with good management.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:48 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Disney is very good company, good management, good assets and as long as they continue to make good movies they will continue to pull in the profits and grow the company. I recommend it, even at the high price.

Viacom i'm not so sure on. The reality tv thing seems like a fad to me and now it seems like we are starting to shift more towards higher quality productions.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Doesn't DIS seem a bit high for right now? P/E of about 19 and paying a 1.5% dividend yield.
VIA is about the same, but not quite so expensive.

To me, those companies are in sort of a nether-world, where they are neither great dividend payers nor great growth stocks.
Whatever you do, let me encourage you to enroll in the company's DRIP (Dividend Reinvestment Plan). It will make a huge difference.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:17 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
freespirit, the better company by a wide margin is Disney.
Disney has Star Wars upcoming and all the Marvel franchise,
not to mention far greater assets on a brick-and-mortar basis
than Viacom does. It's not even close.
Wait for a retrace, though, watch the market for a lower entry.
I would be a buyer when the dividend yield approaches 2% on a pullback.
With $7k to invest consider applying for margin. One approach would be
to wait for pullback, watch div approach 2% and buy incrementally in stages.
Allow room for diversification into other sectors.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
It kinda depends on what your risk level is. If your looking for safe companies then Disney, Viacom, GE, etc. are a good bet.
If your looking for good dividend yields go with companies like FTR, BKCC, EROC. but remember these are higher risk.
then there are up and coming companies and new tech that could make you rich one week and flat broke the next.

You need to figure out your risk tolerance before you start investing.

bill

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbutterfly View Post

If you really like media stocks think about CBS, this stock has been on a roll and is converting its CBS Outside division into a REIT which suggest future dividend growth.

Suggestions in other sectors intc, GE , energy is always good...Think dividends

Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I own NWS (News Corp), which has been doing incredibly well. I need to make money from the Tea Party supporters somehow lol.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,468 times
Stocks go up and down. Buy at the bottom and sell at the top. Sounds simple and it is if you know what you are looking at. Value is determined by profit margins, cash flows, debt/income, equity, sales, and the growth rates thereof. Understand that even good operating companies can go bankrupt, like GM did. You must pick good companies, and understand how the market moves, when it moves, why it moves. Markets move in cycles. If you understand the cycles and the dynamics thereof, you should do better than if you do not learn this important investing information analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing