Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM

55 posts, read 92,084 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Over the years I have saved over a few thousand dollars but the money is sitting in my checking account i.e. the money is not growing at all, its a lazy asset :-( I could put the money in the savings account but the APY on that is really low these days and I don't like money markets much. I have tried investing $8K with Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative fund but it's almost like investing in bonds (mostly) and the money has grown really slowly over the past few months. The stock market is really shaky and investing in stocks can potentially be extremely risky given the market and global conditions. I am not even thinking of investing in options- that's crazy.

1) I want to know where's the best place to invest that diversifies my funds at a low cost to me without much risk (Vanguard is one I have already invested but looking for more options). I have looked at Betterment, Wealthfront, Personal Capital (ruled out since they require a minimum of 100K investment) and Vanguard. When I started researching, it seemed to me that Vanguard was the best given their low fees and better returns than bonds or savings account. But the returns are low with Vanguard than a lot of other investment vehicle. Betterment is nice too as they periodically re-balance but they are untested, new and mirror mutual funds like Vanguard LifeStrategy funds in terms of simplicity albeit at a higher management fees. I have read reviews regarding Wealthfront and it seems they offer nothing new. What is your opinion regarding all these new investment vehicles?

2) What is the best place to invest so that I can hedge against inflation, invest in commodities and provide the international exposure my investment and diversification needed by my investment?

3) I want to also diversify by investing in the real estate market. What is the best place to look for real-estate investment?

4) Where can I get more information and opinions about personal investment? I want to read reviews, opinions and people's experience.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Qamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
1. Vanguard offers many different funds. You could switch the money that is in your current fund into a different one that satisfies your risk reward appetites.
2. There is no best "place" to invest to hedge against inflation. You want to diversify to hedge against inflation, deflation, market swings, etc.
3. You can throw some money into a REIT. Unless you have a lot of money, RE isn't something you can invest in yourself because you need enough money to buy RE.
4. The internet. WSJ, YahooMoney, investopedia, etc. The only downside is there are thousands of "experts" out there, but most of them don't know what they are talking about.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
When you complain about your fund growing slowly over the past few months, well that tells me you're very impatient. That fund is up 4.32% year to date as of 4/25. That is a decent rate of return for a 5 month period.

I will say, however, that a better Vanguard fund that has a similar investment objective as the Conservative LifeStrategy fund would be Vanguard Wellesley Income. The returns for Wellesley Income are more than a percentage point better in both short and long time periods. It's up 5.49% as of 4/25. It has beat out the LifeStrategy fund by almost 2 percentage points over the last 15 years. Those extra percentage points really adds up to a lot over that length of time!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
I like Vanguard, Fidelity, Oakmark and I have done real well with Munder.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
1) Vanguard and Fidelity are probably your best options. You seem to have a stock mindset though. Your returns so far are great for these kinds of investments. If you want higher gains, you'll need to take more risk.

2) Gold is generally a good place to invest if you are worried about inflation. The key to limiting risk would be diversification.

3) You don't have enough money to buy your own real estate. You might want to try something such as WRI, which owns and leases out commercial real estate with anchor stores.

4) I find most of my research by googling. For example, you can type, "best REIT to own" and you'll come across top five with the author's reasonings and if something sounds good, you can research that specific "thing".

Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
1) Vanguard and Fidelity are probably your best options. You seem to have a stock mindset though. Your returns so far are great for these kinds of investments. If you want higher gains, you'll need to take more risk.

2) Gold is generally a good place to invest if you are worried about inflation. The key to limiting risk would be diversification.

3) You don't have enough money to buy your own real estate. You might want to try something such as WRI, which owns and leases out commercial real estate with anchor stores.

4) I find most of my research by googling. For example, you can type, "best REIT to own" and you'll come across top five with the author's reasonings and if something sounds good, you can research that specific "thing".
What are some of the best gold stocks out there?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
What are some of the best gold stocks out there?
GLD is the best ETF that follows the price of gold. You want to avoid gold mines because they are too volatile and speculative.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:29 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times
Quote:
GLD is the best ETF that follows the price of gold. You want to avoid gold mines because they are too volatile and speculative.
I do not know much about ETF and the difference between them and stocks, but I will look into that and take a look at GLD as well. Thanks

Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
ever since i lost money in ASA decades ago i learned the difference between buying a gold stock and buying gold.

there was a strike in the mines in south africa . gold soared while ASA my index of south african gold minning companies plunged.

i realized right then that gold stocks are companies first and a play on gold 2nd.

they are still subject to earnings, managment , political issues and strikes unlike gold itself.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
I do not know much about ETF and the difference between them and stocks, but I will look into that and take a look at GLD as well. Thanks
An ETF (exchange traded fund): ETF Definition: What is an ETF?

This is a short and simple explanation of an ETF. They basically attempt to replicate their index's performance, rather than trying to beat it. GLD tries to replicate the price of the gold bullion. An ETF is more simple than many other instruments because it is traded like a stock.

GLD (SPDR Gold Shares): The investment seeks to replicate the performance, net of expenses, of the price of gold bullion. The trust holds gold, and is expected to issue baskets in exchange for deposits of gold, and to distribute gold in connection with redemption of baskets. The gold held by the trust will only be sold on an as-needed basis to pay trust expenses, in the event the trust terminates and liquidates its assets, or as otherwise required by law or regulation. (Yahoo Finance)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing