Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:26 PM
$$$ $$$ started this thread

2 posts, read 3,147 times

Advertisements

Little background info:

I'm in my mid-twenties w/ a good paying civil service job. I have about $20k saved up in the bank w/ no earning interest. It's just sitting there waiting to have more of my income stacked on top of it or to be pulled out.

Now, I would like to start investing to see my money grow. No "get rich quick" schemes or any of that. This is a long term acivity and I'm willing to approach it as such. Crawl, walk, and eventually run w/o going to fast. I just don't know where to begin; things such as the terminology used, different ways to invest, etc. It's seems very intimidating. Any good reading material on how to invest or even personal stories on how you began to invest would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:49 PM

174 posts, read 502,970 times
Read Boglehead's Guide to Investing, it will tell you everything you need to know. Accept nothing else. Then invest in vanguard index funds. You can buy a total stock market fund and a total bond market fund and be set. Ideally the ratio of stocks should be your age subtracted from 100 (as you get closer to retirement you want to increase the proportion of bonds as they are less risky, but stocks grow more). If you are 25 ideally you should have 25% in bonds and 75% in stocks.

But seriously read the book. Accept no other substitute or answers. This is no get rich quick, it is slow but steady growth of 8-10% per year. Anyone who says you can get more than that without EXTREME risk is a scammer.

Really once you read that book you need no other.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Google "Retire by 40" and you'll get a good idea of what you can do.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$$ View Post
I'm in my mid-twenties w/ a good paying civil service job.
I have about $20k saved up in the bank w/ no earning interest.
It's just sitting there...

Now, I would like to start investing to see my money grow.
Are you contributing the MAX to the employer plan?
Are you contributing the MAX tp an IRA?
Do you have a six months emergency fund?
Have you paid off all/any unsecured debt?

Cross those four hurdles before doing anything else.

With a stable civil service job the first of the anything else to do is probably housing.
Look into buying a "multi" (live in one and rent out the other 3 or 4)

Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Little background info:

I'm in my mid-twenties w/ a good paying civil service job. I have about $20k saved up in the bank w/ no earning interest. It's just sitting there waiting to have more of my income stacked on top of it or to be pulled out.

Now, I would like to start investing to see my money grow. No "get rich quick" schemes or any of that. This is a long term acivity and I'm willing to approach it as such. Crawl, walk, and eventually run w/o going to fast. I just don't know where to begin; things such as the terminology used, different ways to invest, etc. It's seems very intimidating. Any good reading material on how to invest or even personal stories on how you began to invest would be greatly appreciated.
Here's the advice I wish I had gotten when I started investing but didn't. Are you investing in your employer's retirement plan (usually called a 457 Deferred Compensation plan or a 403b plan)???

That is the best place to start. The plan will give you a list of investment options that normally include mutual funds that invest in stocks or bonds or sometimes both. I recommend investing in a single fund that invests in a mix of stocks and bonds. Some plans have what they call "target date" funds that invest according to your age. They start out more aggressive and gradually get more conservative as you get older. These aren't my favorite, but they're not a bad option.

My favorite option is to invest in fund that invests in a mix of stocks and bonds. These funds go by different names: "Balanced", "Hybrid", "Asset Alloction", are all different names for the same concept. Usually, these funds invest in a mix of large company stocks and bonds. Some of the better balanced funds that are staples in retirement plans include:

Vanguard Wellington
Fidelity Balanced
T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation
American Funds Income Fund of America
American Funds American Balanced Fund
Dodge and Cox Balanced

If you have any of the above funds in your plan, pick one and stick with it until you retire...you'll do fine. The key is to: 1. Save at least 10% of you gross salary (preferably more...10% is really the low end of what most people will need to save for retirment) and 2. Consistently invest in a balanced portfolio for decades (which is what balanced funds and target dated funds do).

As for owning rental property...I really don't think most people have the temperament for it. However, here is a great multi entry blog piece about investing in residential real estate:

http://www.freemoneyfinance.com/2013...1-summary.html

Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
The Wall Street Journal also has a good variety of books geared toward beginning investors and most are available at Amazon used for $5 or less.

Do NOT discount the various websites. E*trade, Vanguard, and T. Rowe Price all have some really good education websites and you do NOT have to be a customer to access them. Ditto for Morningstar.com although they DO have some sites that require subscriptions.

If you are a federal employees, the various TSP funds have the lowest expense ratios, lower than Vanguard.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM

674 posts, read 1,155,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you contributing the MAX to the employer plan?
Are you contributing the MAX tp an IRA?
Do you have a six months emergency fund?
Have you paid off all/any unsecured debt?

Cross those four hurdles before doing anything else.

With a stable civil service job the first of the anything else to do is probably housing.
Look into buying a "multi" (live in one and rent out the other 3 or 4)
Excellent advise. I wish I got this kind of advise 20 years back.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Start with "A Random Walk Down Wall Street".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-27-2015, 03:16 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,634 times
If you're in the public sector, you should be contributing to your thrift savings plan. You have the option of investing in three different equity indexes and two bond indexes, including a government bond index.

Your allocation depends on the level of risk you're willing to take on. There is no get rich quick scheme. People that beat the market are generally investing in stocks that have a higher overall beta > 1; however, if the market turns against them, they have higher unrealized losses as well.

If you want to diversify, I would suggest allocating a certain amount in the investment grade bond fund an a certain amount in the fund that tracks the S&P 500. If you're extremely risk averse, you can also allocate some of your money into the government bond fund as well.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:18 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,686,608 times
Quote:
Little background info:

Pick a total stock market index fund and a total bond market index fund, and then rebalance as needed.
Allocation ratio? You probably want to be around 80% stocks / 20% bonds or less.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...ion?reset=true
http://www.vanguard.com/nesteggcalculator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing