Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,821,904 times

Advertisements

1. Without trading on margin (<25,000 account equity) how actively can I trade in a given week? The way I understand it is that you may not re-enter a position within a business day. If I am scalping a few (same or different) equities a few times a week, is this allowed under FINRA and SEC regulations? What exactly am I allowed to do whilst trading on a non-margin account?

2. Taxes. Short term positions get taxed at your income tax level. So lets say my work income is just shy of a higher tax bracket by a vouple thousand dollars. Will the first couple thousand in capital gains be taxed at said rate, with any extra gains taxed at the next higher rate?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 PM

879 posts, read 1,961,842 times
1) In a NON-MARGIN ACCOUNT, you can day trade all you like as the pattern day trading rules apply to margin accounts only. But what you need to watch out for, and what makes day trading in a non-margin account difficult, are the freeriding rules. Freeriding is when you sell something that you haven't technically paid for yet. E.g., if you have $1000 cash in your account, you buy $1000 of XYZ, then sell it 2 hours later, then immediately buy $1000 of ABC with unsettled funds (which is okay), THEN sell that ABC 2 days later. That's a no-no, because technically, you haven't PAID for ABC until 3 days after the purchase date. Now, if you use only 1/3 of your settled cash per day on trading, you can get around the freeriding rules, but that can be difficult, especially with smaller accounts.

I should point out that some brokers have stricter rules than FINRA's, so you may need to check with yours.

2) Yep.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 PM

Sounds good. So basically I'm simply not allowed to leverage my equity. Only settled funds may be used.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Sounds good. So basically I'm simply not allowed to leverage my equity. Only settled funds may be used.

Thanks!
Good Luck!
I'm not much of a trader, but there are plenty around here who are. Learn! It's fun and you can make money.

And pay attention to fundamentals as well as charts.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
With even 25K, you're not likely gonna benefit much from day trading all the time.. the commissions and/or spreads will eat you alive.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
With even 25K, you're not likely gonna benefit much from day trading all the time.. the commissions and/or spreads will eat you alive.
Define much.

I can trade blue chips as they bounce around their respective moving averages and gain 2-5% a day. $7 commissions and a 15% tax rate are hardly detrimental.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Good Luck!
I'm not much of a trader, but there are plenty around here who are. Learn! It's fun and you can make money.

And pay attention to fundamentals as well as charts.
Thanks!

I've numbed my brain reading books about fundamentals, I've just got to teach myself chart patterns, candlesticks, etc before I dive in head first.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Thanks!

I've numbed my brain reading books about fundamentals, I've just got to teach myself chart patterns, candlesticks, etc before I dive in head first.
Fundamentals can be tough to learn. Most people never learn, but it'll sure pay if you do.

Look at ASYS and calculate book value. Then look at stock value. See an opportunity?

See? There's more to it than PE

Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM

879 posts, read 1,961,842 times
Fundamentals mean just about zero when it comes to day trading. Longer-term trading, sure.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
Fundamentals mean just about zero when it comes to day trading. Longer-term trading, sure.
I don't know much about day trading. Seems most people who try it don't either. And the egos of those who describe themselves as day traders seem to be ...well, sometimes a little inflated.

But a while back we had a case where someone was all fired up because he thought he had scored with Bank of Greece. We had a thread about it. Turns out we were watching a reverse split, which he didn't know anything about because he was just a chart watcher. Seems to me a knowledge of the fundamentals would have kept him out of trouble. But maybe not.

Anyway, in the past you have said that most people should not day trade, and I agree with that. People are still going to try, though. Maybe he'll make it. Hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing