Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM

651 posts, read 862,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box101 View Post
No, you are incorrect. So let me help you understand. Cramer is an entertainer, that's it. He even offered worse advice when he told everyone to get of the market completely. It was a buying opportunity of a lifetime (all included in the video). Watch the full video:

Jon Stewart PWNS Jim Cramer on The Daily Show Face 2 Face Full Episode YouTube - YouTube

Unless you were a multi-billion dollar company and you wanted to acquire assets on the cheap. you tell everyone to sell and buy it all up.

cough (gold) cough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
Quote:
CNBC is MSM. So basically if you do the opposite of what CNBC pumps out you will do well. Can't count the number of times someone on CNBC has recommended a specific stock or play, and in the disclosure or when asked about it, they don't even own it. Most of the time when they are saying for you to do one thing, they are doing the opposite. Just Cramer alone has made some of the worst calls of the decade.
I agree with your comment. It just seems to me that many people follow the show's lead and buy stocks on their recommendations or their guests recommendations, especially Cramer's. I cannot tolerate Jim Cramer.

-Cheers.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
No, you are incorrect. So let me help you understand. Cramer is an entertainer, that's it.
Of course he's an entertainer. But what does that have to do with you completely misinterpreting and misunderstanding the video you linked to regarding Bear Stearns?

Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 PM

169 posts, read 193,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Of course he's an entertainer. But what does that have to do with you completely misinterpreting and misunderstanding the video you linked to regarding Bear Stearns?
Did you watch the second video I posted? Cramer comments for himself about his Bear call.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 AM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
No, you are incorrect. So let me help you understand. Cramer is an entertainer, that's it. He even offered worse advice when he told everyone to get of the market completely. It was a buying opportunity of a lifetime (all included in the video). Watch the full video:

Jon Stewart PWNS Jim Cramer on The Daily Show Face 2 Face Full Episode YouTube - YouTube
best cramer pick was when he highly and i mean higly told everyone dicks sporting goods looked like the perfect stock.

two days later they missed earnings so bad they plunged double digits.

the day after ,the show opens with cramer hiding under a desk........ that was funny

Old 06-28-2013, 05:08 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
cnbc provide a platform for people with various opinions and agendas , some opinion makers or guests are better than others

michael gayed I find to be excellent , he was ultra bullish a year ago but he,s not a perma bull In the way Jeremy siegel is

marc faber is a crank and jim rogers clearly doesn't even believe what comes out of his own mouth or he,d be flat broke

as for the everyday guests like crammer , those guys are more short term analyists , I like the half time report show but the guys on that show are clearly day traders so most people would not want to put money to work based on what they say

Old 06-28-2013, 05:10 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I agree with your comment. It just seems to me that many people follow the show's lead and buy stocks on their recommendations or their guests recommendations, especially Cramer's. I cannot tolerate Jim Cramer.

-Cheers.

am I the only one who assumes JC must have a daily diet comparable to tony Montana towards the end of the movie scarface , I know he,s a jewish new Yorker but surely no one is that highly strung on a daily basis

Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Overall I like the channel, but like every media outlet you can't take it at face value. They are always going to promote being long and having a bullish sentiment, because that's what people want and that's what gets ratings.

The people who really want the 'fractional reserve debt phony credit system' to collapse mostly congregate on the internet and are in the minority. They were right about metals, but only because they were lucky. Now they are wrong, metals are tanking, and taking their advice all the time is as foolish as taking Cramer's or anyone else's advice all the time. They are not paid to be right. They are paid to give opinions and get ratings.

My advice is simply this... take anyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Buy low. Buy sectors and stocks when they are out of favor (like AAPL right now for example) and don't obsess over valuation too much.. look for growth and momentum without buying 'high' ...

Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
CNBC does not offer advice.

NYU, I believe, did a study of Jim Cramer's on-air advice, and pretty much it was in-line with the overall market.
anyone that takes Kramers advice needs to beware.

Jim Cramer still won't make you rich - CBS News

Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post

-Cheers.
If it's on tv... You probably shouldn't do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
My advice is simply this... take anyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Buy low. Buy sectors and stocks when they are out of favor (like AAPL right now for example) and don't obsess over valuation too much.. look for growth and momentum without buying 'high' ...
I personally wouldn't buy AAPL right now. It's tanked, but can we honestly say it is out of favor yet? Still way too much hope for it. Least on main street. Wall Street will milk that.

Long term, love the company. But would wait. Personally waiting for a real capitulation and/or (most likely and) Cook canned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing