Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
The recent recession has bred quite a few armchair economists, armed with Google, who feel inclined to repeat the same old rhetoric in the hopes that it will eventually come true.
The stock market crash of 2007-8 made alot of professional economists appear from their ruins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 AM

651 posts, read 862,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
One of the most common mistakes traders/investors make is making decisions based on what they THINK SHOULD BE HAPPENING rather than what they actually SEE HAPPENING. The market doesn't give a crappe what you think it should be doing--it's going to do what it wants for as long as it wants to do it, whether it SEEMS logical to you or not. But people seem to have this idea that they must act BEFORE the market makes a move, as if they'll miss out if they don't. The fact is, regardless of your trading time frame (whether long-term or short-term), you will typically have plenty of time to catch the "meat" of the move if you wait to see the market play its hand first. Now, deciphering what you're seeing is often not an easy task either (and a subject for another day), but it's much better than simply "guessing" or "predicting."

I would also like to add that most people trade/invest with emotions.

You need to be a cold hearted machine when investing.

basically do opposite of what your natural instinct is. For example, buying stocks because they are way up. buying a house because it can only go higher.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:28 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I would argue that stocks are up because of inflation and mostly inflation. the real rate of inflation is closer to 6-10%/yr.

If this is the case and stocks return 10-12%, take out taxes, what are you left with?

I am an investor in silver bullion right here, and that is just me. I am not advocating anyone else to follow me to the T, but I like silver at this price down here. I also think gold is a good buy.

Gold does will in inflation, and deflation. it doesn't do well in disinflation.
I don't understand the gold or silver markets nearly as well as the stock markets.

But based on what I know, I would be shorting both gold or silver at the moment. Both of these metals are in deep bear markets right now. Silver has declined twice as much as gold.

Investors have been leaving gold and silver and buying up stocks, as far as I can tell. These metals will turn around eventually, but not just yet.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
This blog post has a graph showing 10-year returns for the past 100 years. There was only 1 year out of 100 from 1899 to 1999 (1928) where a 10-year investment in the stock market would have generated a negative return.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't understand the gold or silver markets nearly as well as the stock markets.

But based on what I know, I would be shorting both gold or silver at the moment. Both of these metals are in deep bear markets right now. Silver has declined twice as much as gold.

Investors have been leaving gold and silver and buying up stocks, as far as I can tell. These metals will turn around eventually, but not just yet.

I am not sure when they will turn or what, the ratio of gold to silver is favorable silver. The dow to gold ratio is favorable gold but rising for the dow.

I own a lot of stock in my 401K, roth IRA and an individual account. I typically try to pick up bullion when it gets low. I view it as real money and insurance of in case crap happens.

The stock portion of my portfolio is going up fast, so I am deploying new money into bullion and will continue to watch and pick up bullion.

It's fine if it keeps going down, I will keep buying it.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 PM

283 posts, read 729,287 times
We will have corrections along the way, but I believe the S&P will be over 2000 in a few years. The Dow should also be over 20000 in a few years.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
We will have corrections along the way, but I believe the S&P will be over 2000 in a few years. The Dow should also be over 20000 in a few years.

If I am going to put on my guessing hat....I would disagree. I think dow and bonds down, commodities up.

I am seeing things that suggest the stock market run up will be ending. many stocks are down, few are pushing the dow and S&P higher. this is an early indicator of the markets getting tired. it sure could go higher, but I don't think it will for years longer. most likely months longer.

I am seeing gold and silver stocks and bullion looking like they are putting in bottoms. I am seeing very bullish chart patterns in these stocks.

time will tell.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:16 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times
That question has been asked for the last 100 plus years.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:33 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
That question has been asked for the last 100 plus years.
Here are a couple of dots to connect in order to figure out the long term direction of the stock market.

When Charles Dow first compiled the Dow Jones Industrial Average back in 1896, the initial reading was 40. Now it stands at about 15,000.

Does anyone else see the trend here?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
No rally is sustainable, nor is any crash.

I personally think we still have a ways to go with this rally, maybe up to a couple years. I base that on the general expansionary optimism of the business sector. People are in a spending mood. We are only just beginning to forget about the recession that started in 2008. Housing is making a comeback. That will continue to drive spending.

I would not however recommend getting into stocks at this point. You should have done that years ago (2009 ideally). Now the question is when to get out. If the market makes some huge advances I will pull out. If it continues to waddle around in an upward trend, I will stay in for a year ot two probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing