Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 05:49 PM

531 posts, read 758,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
if you really want financial freedom, you should spend some time "READ" and "LEARN". Invest in yourself.
After you done that with hard work, you will learn that got paid to work for someone else is the best financial freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Let me dig into this a bit, playing devil's advocate.

If I have a fund XXYYZ that I chose based on both quality criteria and investing objective, and my knowledge of assessment of quality improves, should I hold the fund if a reevaluation indicates that AABBC is a better fund? Keep in mind that we're talking about no-load mutual funds, with no transaction fees.
Well I did recommend top notch funds for this well diversified category. But assuming the fund underperformed for several years running (at least 3 straight years of below average returns), or had a lot of sudden management changes, then, yes.

But for the funds I recommended, management has historically been stable and transitions well managed; costs range from below average to very low; performance is consistently above average, often beating the S&P 500 stock index over long periods, or at least coming close, and doing so with less volatility.

But yes, there can always be an exception. Nothing is 100%.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Yup, I agree. Trading one MF for another MF, because it better serves the reason you bought the original MF in the first place just doesn't follow those same rules.
I don't remember where I read it, but the average investor only holds a mutual fund for 3 or 4 years before switching. Average investors also typically get returns that are not as good as the published returns because they switch at inopportune times. I'm oh so sure that's not the case for you or anyone on this board ....but for those other mere mortals out there, holding a good fund for a long time (think a decade, not 3 or 4 years) usually results in better returns.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Basing MF choices on past returns isn't smart. And holding a fund instead of achieving a specific investing objective with a different fund that pursues that objective better doesn't make sense. :shrug:

Old 09-28-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Basing MF choices on past returns isn't smart. And holding a fund instead of achieving a specific investing objective with a different fund that pursues that objective better doesn't make sense. :shrug:
My selections weren't based JUST on past returns. You're picking and choosing the pieces you like just because you enjoy nitpicking and arguing. As far as objective so, balanced funds meet most people's objective most of the time. I can't really offer more specific advice than that on an internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing