Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
bUU bUU started this thread

12,077 posts, read 10,655,625 times

Advertisements

FPURX lost about 6% on Friday, while most major indices were up. FBALX was almost as bad. I cannot find an explanation. Before I dig into it more, has anyone seen an explanation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 04:37 PM

879 posts, read 1,957,072 times
Capital gain & dividend distribution of $1.39.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:37 AM

Yes, of course. I remember commenting when those transactions registered last week how large they were. A fun weekend had evidently expunged that from my memory.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 AM

105,811 posts, read 107,799,717 times
fidelity does that all the time, they make no indication there was a payout until their system updates later on.

they really should flag the daily price with a note on their own website .

i own balanced and did a double take friday when i first looked. it was a pretty big distribution. luckily only 1/3 of my holding in it was in my taxable account or that really would have been a whopping tax bill.

i remember fidelity magellan once had a 20% distribution.. holy cow did that screw shareholders tax wise if it wasn't in a retirement plan. the new manager re-did the portfolio liquidating much of the portfolio.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:05 AM

That's my real concern here. These (FPURX and FBALX) are holdings I inherited, and I really wish they were in an IRA instead of in a taxable account. I could sell the holdings, but I have a significant capital gain in both since inheriting them, so it a "damned if I do damned if I don't" situation - except for the fact that you cannot really call realizing a GAIN as "damned", of course. My (now fired) financial adviser recommended not to let the tax tail wag the investment dog, but of course that advice could be used either way for these two holdings.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 AM

105,811 posts, read 107,799,717 times
well the good news is by paying some of the taxes now it can be less painful later on if you sell.

i had mentioned in an earlier thread about how index funds and etf's can end up being a tax torpedo later on when sold.

decades of little taxes paid on gains along the way can throw someone unware of the consequences right into an amt bracket or a much higher bracket .

i know when we shifted strategy on some of our investments as we got closer to retiring some of the funds we sold had 6 figure gains.

it would have been a slower process selling them off if we had paid little tax along the way had we been indexing. as it was it was quite painful.

fpurx and fbalx are very very similar funds. fpurx holds more lower quality bonds than fbalx. fpurx is about 15% high yield vs balanced 7%.

fpurx is run by two managers ,one handles bonds the other equities.

fbalx is run by a 10 member team headed by bob stansky former magellan skipper. there really is not much reason to own fbalx and fpurx together. they are far to similiar to add much diversification. i see folks at work do that combo all the time in their 401k and they are not gaining much by it. they would be better served adding more diversification in to the mix.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-15-2013 at 04:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing