Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

We sold the house we had in the poconos about 1-1/2 years ago and threw the money in our growth and income mix and made some really great gains on it

Up more than 30%.

In the mean time the house is about the same value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
the great folly of the post boomer generation is to think of a home as an investment.
that is like thinking of your sexuality as an investment you can turn into cash when you want.
home is sacred. the film "its a wonderful life" was so clear on this point. home the sweetest place on earth. we are experiencing the greatest movement of personal home ownership to bank property ownership since the 1930's. "a wonderful life" in reverse. we are becoming a nation of renters.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
That has been my game plan too. Other assets have appreciated far more than homes.

I rent and invest elsewhere.
Same for me.

Disclaimer: Housing costs in my area are very high. While I technically could probably afford to buy a small condo, it would be much more than I'd be comfortable paying. The owning lifestyle just doesn't fit for me financially and otherwise.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Residential property is a pretty tough place for making money. Highly over-rated for investment returns.

That said. Everybody should own ONE house and pay it off as quickly as possible. You are going to have a rent or mortage payment anyway.

We bought a house and paid it off in five years. That was tough. In today's dollars that mortgage was about 1500/month.

Once we paid off the house we started traveling to nice places on vacation. 18,000 a year that went to some pretty nice vacations. Some our friends were jealous of how we can afford to travel....well, they were still paying off their mortgage. It was that simple.

We bought the house for 75,000 and sold it for 125,000 15 years later. When you take the interest payments for five years that is a pretty poor return on investment. However, NOT having a mortgage payment was a great addition to our lifestyle and allowed all sorts of flexibility.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:47 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Residential property is a pretty tough place for making money. Highly over-rated for investment returns.

That said. Everybody should own ONE house and pay it off as quickly as possible. .......
Why???? The loans are at 4% with tax benefits. Money that you would use to pay off the mortgage earned say 15% this past year and a solid 7% most years. As an example if you have a $200k mortgage, the 4% will cost you about $8k per year to borrow but you can earn $14k on that money with a safe mix of equities and fixed income investments.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
I don't see any reason to pay it off fast as long as you have a fixed rate.

What's good about home ownership is once it is paid off, you will have a large asset.
It's almost like forced savings because so many Americans are bad at saving.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Why???? The loans are at 4% with tax benefits. Money that you would use to pay off the mortgage earned say 15% this past year and a solid 7% most years. As an example if you have a $200k mortgage, the 4% will cost you about $8k per year to borrow but you can earn $14k on that money with a safe mix of equities and fixed income investments.
Tax benefits are minor in most cases.

Take the standard deduction....what is it this year??? 13,000??? Take your mortgage and deduct 13,000 and then multiply by your marginal tax bracket. Is it worth??

It might be if your rich and in a high income tax state. But for most people they are better off just taking the standard deduction and having NO mortgage. In my case, our joint family income never crossed 100,000 while we were working. So having NO mortgage payment made a huge difference in our quality of life.

For many people a mortgage represents about 30-40% of take home income. That is a huge percentage of income!!

Your example of investing works for a VERY small percentage of people. Most people have a very hard time maintaining the discipline to save rather than spend. I did it easily when I was single. It became much more difficult when I got married. We tried it....and looking back we would have been better off paying the mortgage to zero much earlier. Money just seemed to get spent unless it was locked up in an IRA, 401-k, or the mortgage.

It works fine on paper, but hardly anybody does it in real life.....unfortunately.

In our case, paying off the mortgage not only allowed us to travel, but buy a income property with its own mortgage that is now pretty much free and clear. We probably would not have qualified for the income property mortgage had we had a loan on our primary residence. It also allowed my wife to work part-time for almost all of that time and about five years as a stay at home mom.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 PM

373 posts, read 589,313 times
I listened to Peter Schiff hawking gold for years now, and its gone nowhere. However, real estate in the area I live in is now almost back to bubble prices. This is not in Manhattan or in California or Seattle.

But this ain't no bubble. I have a sneakin suspicion (and these sneakin suspicions are often right on) that real estate is gonna eclipse gold, and a lot of other things. It's just getting started. Foreigners for one, are snapping up prime real estate at exhorbitant asking prices where I live, and a lot of it is owned and for sale by...realtors who snapped up all the good stuff during the foreclosure days a few years back. I have heard, to the effect, that the "world economy" (which you can assume we are now part of) will separate the landowners from the renters. And for some reason, I can see this coming. Real estate has zoomed up for no apparent reason where I live, in Canada and in many parts of Europe. You might as well assume the same thing is gonna happen here.

So don't wait. Mark my word. You'll pay double in just a few short years. I have a very strong feeling about this.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:51 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
StuffedCabbage, I doubt prices will double in just a few short years, at least not in most parts of the country. I live on Long Island. I see demand growing in the future. Sandy wiped out a lot of houses. The bust in the housing market all but killed new construction for quite a few years now. People have to live somewhere.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I guess the assumption is that it's not easy to make that kind of return, and that's why banks lend to you at such a low rate to begin with.

Personally I will borrow any amount of money I can get my hands on at 4% per annum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing