Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Great call!.....Sounds like you timed it just right but I was a little leery of staying too long on the razor's edge of profit/loss. Less stress, peace of mind and all.

Still want to get some back in the game so inflation doesn't eat away at the balance now sitting in fixed.

Time to consult the Magic 8 Ball
getting out is easy it is a no brainer. getting back in at the right point is the hard part.

how many thought they were smart in 2008-2009 by bailing.? a load

well morningstar who tracks the money flow found 75% of those who bailed were late getting back in and got in higher than they bailed.

not wanting to fall for a suckers rallye they waited. as things clmbed they said okay ,first big drop again i will get back in.

well it went higher instead and now it became i will wait ,it is silly to get in now.

as it goes higher still they bit the bullet and said i have to get in now.

oh we all timed this okay once or twice in our lives but if you do it enough you will eventually fall into the same pattern as make it all not worth it.

it would have payed off better just rebalancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:02 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
getting out is easy it is a no brainer. getting back in at the right point is the hard part.
Actually, the no brainer is predicting the responses in these types of threads. It's always the same. People come in after a market drop and post about how they got out before the drop and they're so happy right now. The reverse is also true. After a big run-up in the market, posters will alert everyone to the fact that they were so prescient that they went back into the market just before the big turnaround occurred. Everyone always posts about what they did months ago. It's funny isn't it; you never see people posting about their buys and sells in real time so there would actually be a record of what they did when they did it. I wonder why that is?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:05 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
I went to 100% in cash in the middle of December. It was obvious that the markets were top heavy and that trying to milk an extra few percentage points was very stupid. My broker kept saying that I would miss out on the rally (what rally?). For the last month the professional investors have been converting to cash and calling the last few weeks the suckers rally (amateurs only are invested).

Going forward, the best that can be done is to maybe make an extra 5%. I will be playing it smart and stay out. The chances are much greater that the markets will continue down. Yesterday on Fox business after the markets closed the traders on the floor said that leveraged accounts will be getting called and that when that happens the markets will continue down. Every one of the floor traders said to stay away from investing until it all calms down and you see a positive sustained market rally.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:32 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Im rubbing my hands with glee....can't wait to go shopping! Stocks are on sale!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, the no brainer is predicting the responses in these types of threads. It's always the same. People come in after a market drop and post about how they got out before the drop and they're so happy right now. The reverse is also true. After a big run-up in the market, posters will alert everyone to the fact that they were so prescient that they went back into the market just before the big turnaround occurred. Everyone always posts about what they did months ago. It's funny isn't it; you never see people posting about their buys and sells in real time so there would actually be a record of what they did when they did it. I wonder why that is?
Hey my friend I did, business as usual including new money.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
What money I have in stocks are in granny positions, lololol. I don't make any money but I haven't lost any since 2008, either.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Over the next two months I have a decent increase in monthly discretionary income. I may change my plans on what to do with that and put more into equities than planned if the market is down that die had not been made.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Quote:
oh we all timed this okay once or twice in our lives but if you do it enough you will eventually fall into the same pattern as make it all not worth it.

it would have payed off better just rebalancing.
You know if some go in/out I have to commend them. They must know what they are doing but the timing consideration gets me. How can you get ahead?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know if some go in/out I have to commend them. They must know what they are doing but the timing consideration gets me. How can you get ahead?
When you buy a stock set a goal to sell.
Then stick to your goal and sell even when the market continues to rise.
You took your "profits" off the table, you ARE ahead.
Now jump back in with a new stock.

Huge profits "on paper" mean nothing compared to actual cash in hand.
And there is the eternal "If I just hold it a bit longer…."

I took my profits in my 401K account when gold plunged last year and moved to stable.
I didn't "time" the markets though..the plunge made me go "hrmmm…maybe something is underfoot that I don't know about".

I read both technical and fundamental analysis reports.
I also read about global economies.
I worked on Wall Street for 10+ years and had my broker's license so I have an understanding of what I'm reading.
But most of the time it's just common sense telling me something isn't right and then I go off reading as much as I can from different viewpoints.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
We wish our account manager knew something, we emailed him with the 'What's the plan now?" question last week. No response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing