Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The next stock market decline of 20% or more will happen:
Within the next 1-3 years 21 61.76%
3-5 years from now 8 23.53%
5-10 years from now 4 11.76%
10-20 years from now 1 2.94%
20+ years from now 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times

Advertisements

In order to even become a true bear market, the US indexes
would need a correction of at least 20% off the highs. I
see that happening by 2015. This year, I believe there will
be a "pullback" in April or May of about 6-10% lower, followed by
a retranching higher, followed by a severe correction in the autumn
to 1500s/1600s. Meanwhile, select emerging markets will not fall,
especially Europe if the Euro QE happens (pay attention to the news this
coming Friday Apr 3 concerning this). Also see strength in the Brazil and
Indian markets, and SE Asian, but not necessarily in China or Japan.
2015 will be a full on bear market for US equities. The S&P will close 2014
with about a 12-15% loss and 2015 with a further loss, then 2016 will
snap back on election shenanigans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 09:04 PM

706 posts, read 1,308,680 times
Very good post, not sure if you are right, but this sounds good.

All the media is saying the stock market is in a bubble. I know we are well off our lows but except for the internet stock (which are always frothy) many stocks are still cheap. Look at banks and financials. Imagine where they will be in 5-10 years with some looser regulations.

I see frothiness in the IPO market and some tech areas but there are many stocks that just aren't that expensive.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM

392 posts, read 806,640 times
Ok but look on this side.

US can sell Oil from reserves
Here Comes $75 Oil - Barrons.com

if that happen oil price will drop and that can be real boost to economy from other side (instead of QE).

Also US will become biggest oil producer real soon.
Fracking is turning the US into a bigger oil producer than Saudi Arabia - Americas - World - The Independent
U.S. to Be Top Oil Producer by 2015 on Shale, IEA Says - Bloomberg

I think those news can affect future market.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 AM

706 posts, read 1,308,680 times
Dow 50,000....I figured it would be a fun talking point at least...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/break...192925461.html

Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM

166 posts, read 163,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
In order to even become a true bear market, the US indexes
would need a correction of at least 20% off the highs. I
see that happening by 2015.

Not looking so far. Anything could happen in a year. It is not a bear market at the moment. I do not think it is a good idea to brainwash ourselves for coming event at specific time. I prefer to monitor and analyze market on daily basis. When it come I will see. We will have high volatility and row of bad news prior to a crash. Until then I do not worry much.

As of now, oil production is expanding. Just a couple of month ago Russia was our friend. Now, New potential big enemy (Russia after events in Ukraine) may generate new investments into the military (drones and other technologies). Investments into the military always push the economy. You should remember strong recovery in February 2003 after the crash - war in Iraq began at that time...

Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,416 times
I am tempted to write something about a snowballs chance... But I guess I shouldn't.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am tempted to write something about a snowballs chance... But I guess I shouldn't.
At least Snowball7 had the boldness to offer specific numbers. C'mon, we all know that nobody really knows, but it's much more fun to put real numbers on it than repeating the vague cliché that nobody really knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't think we ever left the cyclical bear market that started in 2000. The previous cyclical bear started in 1966 and didn't end until 1982. 18-20 years for cyclical bear markets is pretty normal.
Interesting comment, not sure that I agree 100%.

To be sure, a lot of the current run-up in equity prices is attributable to QEIII. However, in the terms of actual structural economic growth, I note at least two significant differences since 2000 which have brought the economy to a new level:

1) hand-held mobile full-service telecommunications/computing devices are ubiquitous worldwide, and at increasingly affordable prices;

2) fracking in the US and spreading to other countries.

However, I have heard that the benefits of new fracking "wells" are mostly upfront and then the rate of depletion is fast, so the benefits may be short-lived or not as great as some hope. But I do not know enough about oil & gas extraction to form my own view.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:48 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Guys I am on Stocktwits as "_flipper_" if you want to follow my moves.
Right now I am market neutral, focusing on individual stocks and etfs
via options. In order for me to lay on to the short side, 1840 would
have to fall convincingly, which hasn't happened yet.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:39 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
At least Snowball7 had the boldness to offer specific numbers. C'mon, we all know that nobody really knows, but it's much more fun to put real numbers on it than repeating the vague cliché that nobody really knows.
OK, here is my prediction. The stock market will continue the seesaw upward trend for a couple more years. The Dow will reach or even break the 20000 level. Then with the uncertainties of new Presidential "leadership" we will see a substantial correction.

Why do I think this will happen. Because I will it. I need a couple more years of nice stock market growth so my retirement nest egg builds a sufficient cushion. After that I can sell off and coast or watch for future opportunities such as buying back in after a major slide.

I don't think my prediction has any less of a chance than a snowball's chance in.....

Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,137 times
I've been very bearish on stocks for a long time (since about 1999, lol).

-If you look at the s&p since then, it's up nominally in inflation adjusted terms. The S&P was at 1,500 in 2000, 1,885 now. Look at oil since then. Healthcare?? Education? I bet inflation has been 6, 7% a year since then, at least.

Buffett pointed out in an article in fortune magazine, in 1999 or 2000, that the next 17 years in stocks wouldn't be as good as the last 17. It had to do with declining corporate profitability and/or rising interest rates.

Also, the recent froth in tesla?? and the bio tech sector, is that a sign of a stock market bottom? There's a feeling of invincibility in the tech world. Facebook acquiring whatsApp for $19 b. You could argue some of these tech wizards are more confident than the ones in 1998 or 2000. It seems like a massive bubble. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a huge tech bust in the next 5 years.

I'm going to say nasdaq 3,000 in the next 5 years. Maybe 2,500.

We're still in a commodity super cycle IMO, and that's usually bearish for stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing