Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 05:13 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times

Advertisements

Under Armour announced a 2-for-1 stock split that will become effective on April 14 for shareholders of record on March 28. The company last split its shares in July 2012.

Under Armour to Split Again and Continue Winning (UA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Why would anyone care if they invest in a complany immediately before a 2:1 split? Or immediately after for that matter? Their investment will be worth exactly the same regardless of whether they buy just before or just after the split.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Why would anyone care if they invest in a complany immediately before a 2:1 split? Or immediately after for that matter? Their investment will be worth exactly the same regardless of whether they buy just before or just after the split.
True. If it's an attractive enough stock, and it was getting too pricey, the hope will be that it attracts more new buyers at the lower split price. What I don't know is what happens to the stock someone buys between now and April 14? How does that work?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:19 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
What I don't know is what happens to the stock someone buys between now and April 14? How does that work?
Nothing. There is no deadline to be "eligible" for a stock split. All shares of the stock will split on the effective date regardless of who does or doesn't own it, or when they did or didn't buy it.

While I agree with MadMan above that a split has ZERO effect on the value of a stock, I do believe that you are right about attracting more potential buyers at the lower price. As an example, I believe that when Berkshire Hathaway split their class B shares 50 for 1, there were probably more buyers after the split at $70 than there were before the split at approx $3,500. It's more of a psychological thing with unsophisticated investors than anything else, but real nonetheless.

Last edited by treasurekidd; 03-28-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Nothing. There is no deadline to be "eligible" for a stock split. All shares of the stock will split on the effective date regardless of who does or doesn't own it, or when they did or didn't buy it.

While I agree with MadMan above that a split has ZERO effect on the value of a stock, I do believe that you are right about attracting more potential buyers at the lower price. As an example, I believe that when Berkshire Hathaway split their class B shares 50 for 1, there were probably more buyers after the split at $70 than there were before the split at approx $3,500. It's more of a psychological thing with unsophisticated investors than anything else, but real nonetheless.
What do they mean when they say "will become effective on April 14 for shareholders of record on March 28?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing