Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:55 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Okay so let me rephrase the question in slightly different terms ...

What would be the least risky way to achieve a yearly 5% gross return for a high net worth family?

Thanks.
Wait till the 30 year Treasury yield hits 5+ and buy that.

Another option is to do Peer to Peer lending. Can't remember any brokers off the top of my head but you can google for some.. you can lend money to borrowers with a credit score of 800+ for about 6%.. if you diversify properly and stick with high credit borrowers, you can probably make an effective return of over 5% a year (even if the occasional borrower defaults which is unlikely but not out of the question among the 800+ group.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:30 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Institutional investors are in a quandary. They commonly target 5% real returns, or 7 to 8 percent nominal returns. Starting from today's prices of stocks and bonds, the likelihood of achieving those returns is quite low...
That is the opening of a paper titled "The 5 Percent Solution," in Institutional Investor Magazine, by Cliff Asness & Antti Ilmanen.

While the Smiths are interested in a 5% nominal (2% to 3% real) return, the article might prove useful: http://www.aqrcapital.com/Portals/1/...ineArticle.pdf

I would also suggest, for their background reading, they read something like The Black Swan. The Black Swan: Second Edition: The Impact of the Highly Improbable: With a new section: "On Robustness and Fragility" (Incerto): Nassim Nicholas Taleb: 9780812973815: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i-shares has some etf's that are target maturity bond funds. all the bonds mature at the same time and the fund sells off and returns your money when maturity is reached.

it is a nice easy way to ladder bonds and have the benefits of a bond fund with the stability of an individual bond.

i wouldn't do it with all my money but as a part of the fixed income section it is fine.

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/1041...Date-Bond-ETFs

Old 05-11-2014, 04:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,927 times
If I had $7,000,000 and a home and no debt, I would consider that "play money" and more than likely double it every 10 years but I think the Smiths consider that money "scared money" if they only want 5% annually...

As a previous poster suggested, if I were the Smiths, I'd stick it in Wellesley Fund and forget about it.....Vanguard will appoint a personal account representative to them that will keep them encouraged and informed when you periodically contact that person...

I'd stay away from an investment advisor who may want 2%...Vanguard or Fidelity advisors do just as good a job without a pile of expenses..Plus, they have so many other services that you will want to use....

N.B.....and I surley hope the Smith's don't leave the $7,000,000 principle to a pooch in 40 years....

Old 05-11-2014, 05:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
If I had $7,000,000 and a home and no debt, I would consider that "play money" and more than likely double it every 10 years but I think the Smiths consider that money "scared money" if they only want 5% annually...

As a previous poster suggested, if I were the Smiths, I'd stick it in Wellesley Fund and forget about it.....Vanguard will appoint a personal account representative to them that will keep them encouraged and informed when you periodically contact that person...

I'd stay away from an investment advisor who may want 2%...Vanguard or Fidelity advisors do just as good a job without a pile of expenses..Plus, they have so many other services that you will want to use....

N.B.....and I surley hope the Smith's don't leave the $7,000,000 principle to a pooch in 40 years....

No one charges 2% on 7mm unless it's a hedge fund/managed futures

Old 05-11-2014, 05:51 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Even so, it's almost impossible to beat Vangaurd for costs, and your returns with an adviser probably won't be any better.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:10 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
interesting enough vanguard would disagree with you:

vanguard , the people who brought you low cost do it yourself indexing released a study that for the typical investor with little investing knowledge an advisor can add as much as 3% in gains to that return since the typical fund investor lags the funds they were in by that much..

why?

because left to their own devices few folks stay the course, have a comprehensive plan and lack knowledge for good diversification. and so they get less than the fund to the tune of about 3%

vanguard quantified the results as an advisor :

"Being an effective behavioral coach. Helping clients maintain a long-term perspective and a disciplined approach is arguably one of the most important elements of financial advice. (Potential value add: up to 1.50%.)

Applying an asset location strategy. The allocation of assets between taxable and tax-advantaged accounts is one tool an advisor can employ that can add value each year. (Potential value add: from 0% to 0.75%.)
Employing cost-effective investments. This critical component of every advisor’s tool kit is based on simple math: Gross return less costs equals net return. (Potential value add: up to 0.45%.)

Maintaining the proper allocation through rebalancing. Over time, as its investments produce various returns, a portfolio will likely drift from its target allocation. An advisor can add value by ensuring the portfolio’s risk/return characteristics stay consistent with a client’s preferences. (Potential value add: up to 0.35%.)

Implementing a spending strategy. As the retiree population grows, an advisor can help clients make important decisions about how to spend from their portfolios. (Potential value add: up to 0.70%.)"

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-11-2014 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Like I said in my post...An investment advisor "MAY" want 2%.....A fool would pay that percentage of course......Alas, there's alot of fools out there......watch CNBC - American Greed...

Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Like I said in my post...An investment advisor "MAY" want 2%.....A fool would pay that percentage of course......Alas, there's alot of fools out there......watch CNBC - American Greed...

I may want to retire tomorrow as well. No reputable wire house is charging 2 on 7mm let alone much of any other relationship for that matter

Old 05-11-2014, 07:10 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
interesting enough vanguard would disagree with you:

vanguard , the people who brought you low cost do it yourself indexing released a study that for the typical investor with little investing knowledge an advisor can add as much as 3% in gains to that return since the typical fund investor lags the funds they were in by that much..

why?

because left to their own devices few folks stay the course, have a comprehensive plan and lack knowledge for good diversification. and so they get less than the fund to the tune of about 3%

vanguard quantified the results as an advisor :

"Being an effective behavioral coach. Helping clients maintain a long-term perspective and a disciplined approach is arguably one of the most important elements of financial advice. (Potential value add: up to 1.50%.)

Applying an asset location strategy. The allocation of assets between taxable and tax-advantaged accounts is one tool an advisor can employ that can add value each year. (Potential value add: from 0% to 0.75%.)
Employing cost-effective investments. This critical component of every advisor’s tool kit is based on simple math: Gross return less costs equals net return. (Potential value add: up to 0.45%.)

Maintaining the proper allocation through rebalancing. Over time, as its investments produce various returns, a portfolio will likely drift from its target allocation. An advisor can add value by ensuring the portfolio’s risk/return characteristics stay consistent with a client’s preferences. (Potential value add: up to 0.35%.)

Implementing a spending strategy. As the retiree population grows, an advisor can help clients make important decisions about how to spend from their portfolios. (Potential value add: up to 0.70%.)"
Ok, I see your point on this one. Of course, people don't have to listen to their advisers, either...but I guess there's a greater chance they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing