Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:20 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
just gtfo of the stock market. like tomorrow.
This poor kid... it must be painful seeing the markets hitting new highs lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This poor kid... it must be painful seeing the markets hitting new highs lol.
No, he's jealous of the rest of us who are not selling most of their equity holdings.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:53 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Quote:
just gtfo of the stock market. like tomorrow.
Okay, it's been three days since your predictions...the world has gone on normally. Seems like SSDD to me.

The world is moving on, the markets are working, and this prediction is just as much of a screw up as the last one.

How about a change of pace next time. When you make a prediction, actually make one that's right.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
People are saying that stocks now are at their high, so as your mantra tells you, sell them now. Then sit on the cash until the stocks are at their low and re-buy them all back. Just as your mantra says.

But the problem with that plan is that historically nobody has done a good job of catching the high or the low. It is easy in hindsight to see when a high or low occurred but it is very hard in real time.
The rest of it was: invest for the long term, not every single time you see a drop coming - you don't invest for a week, month, or year, I said. What I meant by "buy low" is, if a drop is coming, then why the hell would I sell now? If a drop is coming, that means that I can buy even MORE of what I have for my long term investment, when that drop happens.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:10 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
funny how everyone has the same vision of pulling out at the top and getting back in the bottom.

sooooo easy right? yet look at the results of study after study how few can get ahead vs just buying, staying the course and managing their portfolio through adjustments and rebalancing.

it reminds of of those who are always gunshy of losing money because the market is a risky place in their eyes . well eventually the markets can fall by 1/2 and they would still be behind where markets fell to by avoiding risk all that time.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:41 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I've been lucky so far and never panicked during the last two crashes. I kept buying. Hopefully that trend continues...
eventually you reach a point where the new money coming in is very tiny in comparison to what you have. any drops add little value after a while since your buying is less and less of a percentage compared to what you already have invested.

i max out my 401k but at this stage it is far less than even 1/4% of what i have invested so bear markets do little to add value . they hurt more than help.

for any retiree pulling out money to live bear markets can be killer.

better to wish for other things than a crash. a severe enough crash could mean the end of ones job too.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:12 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
People, just because the S&P went up another 20 points
since I posted doesn't mean you shouldn't GTFOASAP.
I meant this generally. Not on a one-week timeframe.
You can't ask for a better price to get out or trim your
equity positions. Really. Walk away for a while. My 2 cents.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Okay, it's been three days since your predictions...the world has gone on normally. Seems like SSDD to me.

The world is moving on, the markets are working, and this prediction is just as much of a screw up as the last one.

How about a change of pace next time. When you make a prediction, actually make one that's right.
Guy, you're the type that gets buried. Make sure you buy the last BTFD
maybe when she drops 10 points you can load up. Go for it. Be a pig.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:

It's up over 40 points since you started the thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
ROFL! Yeah right lol. Based on your other posts and this one, it sounds like you havenMt made the wisest decisions so far. Instead of learning from them you make excuses... you are only hurting yourself fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing